Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
SLO is actually fairly expensive for housing, the university demand pushes prices up.

Studio apts in the city of SLO run about $800/mo. 1 or 2 bedrooms would be higher. Median home sales price in SLO was about $560,000 last quarter. Towns outside of SLO like Paso Robles will of course be lower, the county-wide median price was somewhere around $360,000 in May.

But add in the lower wages in the area and it becomes tough.

Nice area, but there is a tradeoff for the lifestyle.
Yes, all areas along the coast are expensive, but I think that compared to other places that he listed (Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, San Diego) it is more affordable. It is also a lot cleaner, and it has a lower crime rate than some of those place. And being that so many people visit there, it might be easier to find a hotel job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:15 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times
OP can move to the Inland Empire. You would be ~45-60min from the beach, and the cost of living is lower in the IE versus coastal regions.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Yes, all areas along the coast are expensive, but I think that compared to other places that he listed (Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, San Diego) it is more affordable. It is also a lot cleaner, and it has a lower crime rate than some of those place. And being that so many people visit there, it might be easier to find a hotel job.
The original poster said they wanted to pay $800-$1100 a month for rent. The OP also said they would like to find a 1 bedroom for about $900. A studio apt in SLO is about $800.

Santa Barbara would be higher but most of the others are actually about the same or slightly lower in cost than SLO.

That is why I said it might be cheaper in the outlying areas around SLO. Rents inside the city are driven up by students attending the college.

Last time I checked, many hospitality management jobs around San Luis Obispo also had a lower salary than in many of those other areas. Some of the hospitality supervisor positions pay less on average in SLO than in Phoenix.

I don't know what area Karma works in (front office, restaurant, housekeeping, etc.) but that should enter into the research and decision also.

As I said SLO is nice area, (I used to live there) but there are tradeoffs.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
SLO is actually fairly expensive for housing, the university demand pushes prices up.

Studio apts in the city of SLO run about $800/mo. 1 or 2 bedrooms would be higher. Median home sales price in SLO was about $560,000 last quarter. Towns outside of SLO like Paso Robles will of course be lower, the county-wide median price was somewhere around $360,000 in May.

But add in the lower wages in the area and it becomes tough.

Nice area, but there is a tradeoff for the lifestyle.
Wow, that is along the lines I was thinking, but worse than I thought.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:47 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
Quote:
The original poster said they wanted to pay $800-$1100 a month for rent. The OP also said they would like to find a 1 bedroom for about $900. A studio apt in SLO is about $800.

Santa Barbara would be higher but most of the others are actually about the same or slightly lower in cost than SLO.

That is why I said it might be cheaper in the outlying areas around SLO. Rents inside the city are driven up by students attending the college.

Last time I checked, many hospitality management jobs around San Luis Obispo also had a lower salary than in many of those other areas. Some of the hospitality supervisor positions pay less on average in SLO than in Phoenix.

I don't know what area Karma works in (front office, restaurant, housekeeping, etc.) but that should enter into the research and decision also.

As I said SLO is nice area, (I used to live there) but there are tradeoffs.
I haven't finished my degree and haven't worked my way up to management yet, but I am currently a supervisor, and have 5+ years of experience in the field.

I think we decided on the Encinitas/Carlsbad area near San Diego. We are making a trip out there in a few months to start looking at the area.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 AM

33 posts, read 78,507 times
We are considering a few ares such as San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Ventura Area, and a few others, but we really have no idea where to start.[/quote]

I'm doing research on affordability in CA too, I'm no expert on the area, but am considering moving there from MN. The cheapest coastal southern areas that I've found with relatively good (and some mixed) comments on this forum are Oxnard, CA and Santa Maria, CA. Ventura looks gorgeous and is only a few miles from Oxnard, which seems a bit less expensive. I found the median home prices on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed by looking up each city. It gives you lots of statistics, including cost of living, housing, weather, and some comments from other bloggers. Using this site may be helpful. Let me know what you find out because I am also undecided at this point!

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 05:19 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
to live in san jose california, you need somewhat a higher paying job, that is if jobs are available, health insurance if your company doesn't provide is expensive, rental have gone up high. Go on Craigslist.org and click on San Francisco, then southbay...and gas is sky high....good luck, better you find out this way and not after your move. the raw truth....

Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justblahing View Post
to live in san jose california, you need somewhat a higher paying job, that is if jobs are available, health insurance if your company doesn't provide is expensive, rental have gone up high. Go on Craigslist.org and click on San Francisco, then southbay...and gas is sky high....good luck, better you find out this way and not after your move. the raw truth....
hopefully the o.p. has figured things out by now since the post is 3+ years old.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Default Common san diego questions answered-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
hopefully the o.p. has figured things out by now since the post is 3+ years old.
Exactly what I was thinking....lol
Though, having just read the most of the thread, if anyone else is reading, in 2012, and has similar questions....

Right off the bat: If you want swimming or surfing most of spring and summer, look santa barbara and south, for the most part.

And, no way is SLO less expensive than san diego.
SD is a metro area, with a broader range of rental options and location, and without the student crunch. And more job options as a result. A one bedroom in central san diego [normal heights, north park, university heights, etc, all near hilcrest] can be had for under 1100, fairly easily, in a reasonably quiet and safe area. And these areas are 20 minutes to most beaches in san diego. These are also great areas for 20 and 30 somethings....depending upon your interests. Coastal wise, Encinitas, solana beach [has clubs and nightlife, but also big holistic living centers, surf culture, etc] are more expensive, as is pacific beach/mission beach/ocean beach, and these 3 are for students/partiers/folks looking for that so cal beach party atmosphere to the extreme.

For reference, I've lived in SFO, sonoma, and several other states....SD is [aside from real estate and gas, which obviously are important factors, but not as much if you are a 20 something wanting a fun so cal experience] cheaper cost of living. Just visited tucson, and was surprised that food costs, eating out and in stores, were a bit higher than SD. As far as large cities in CA go, SD is obviously less than SFO or LA, as well as college towns like santa cruz and davis, and many others.

So, if you are interested in SD, don't let cost stop you, per se. However, keep in mind that a car is virtually a necessity. Public transit is lacking, sure, but more importantly: SD is spread out-a series of neighborhoods-over a large area. 'Downtown' is not the hub of anything, including jobs or restaurants, or housing; there are various hubs, depending upon your interests and lifestyle. Downtown has pricey lofts, and clubs, and proximity to both the airport and little italy.

That's my 2 cents, having lived in SD twice, for a total of 11 yrs, and married to a SD native. (:

Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 12,911 times
interesting to read this updated post.
I am looking at a work transfer with my wife - from London to San Francisco.

Looking at something within an hours commute by car to Fremont for her, i can work from home.
Looking at apartments/houses on hotpads/apartments.com seems you can get some pretty good 3 bed places for between $1800 and $2200.

Not bothered about living that near the beaches! i hear Castro Valley is good for weather and family life.

Whats the general cost of good cable/internet at home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California