Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
My thoughts are why doesnt CA cut spending more, they need cuts in education and social spending. (Ed budget was 50% of total state expenditures). They spend too much that is their problem, as it stands how can they raise taxes they are already one of the highest taxes states.
Thank you. I agree for the most part. But the prevailing mentality here is that more money/taxes/regulations will fix all the problems.

I keep wondering why we are 6th highest in taxes and so low on per-capita spending for education. There seems to be no accountability in Sacramento.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 07-13-2009 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
I dont see people leaving California to go for Texas. They seem to all go to the Mid west our deep south. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think California will bounce back, but probably very different in gov't. And it seems like its the poor moving and I'm not sure whos replacing them, I guess retirees. California and Texas have about the same amount of Hispanic/Latinos has each other and I would think CA would be more accepting but I see how them being mostly lowerclass here affects it. For a long time people have come here and we've expanded way to big. The huge population is part of the problem in why our gov't is so huge.
I moved from Irvine, CA to Keller, TX. I won't compare the 2 cities but let's just say that household income is higher in Keller and housing is still about 1/3 in Keller.

In TX many Hispanics legal or illegal make a decent living and own their own homes. They are homeowners and thus have more of a stake in their communities.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In California that same relationship is a huge element of our class warfare. California STATE may be generous to Mexicans but Calfornia the CULTURE is hardly as welcoming as Texas.
Perhaps the general culture of California would be more tolerant/welcoming of illegal immigrants if the state of CA wasn't so generous with the welfare benefits.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
The huge population is part of the problem in why our gov't is so huge.
I don't get why Californians always say this. Japan is the same size as CA and has even more restrictive geography. Yet Japan has 125 million people vs. 38 milliion in CA.

It has NOTHING to do with population size and everything to do with poor management and lack of accountability in CA state government.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Absolutely - but there is a deeper connection. When people can afford to live and thrive, there is lower crime and fewer social problems as a result. That builds a proud and sustaining culture instead of a multi-generational underclass.
I'm not sure the crime rate in TX cities is really any lower than in CA.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not sure the crime rate in TX cities is really any lower than in CA.
Not the point - it is easy to live in an area with effectively zero crime in TX. You can spend 200k and own a house in an area with good schools and no crime in Dallas, Houston, esp San Antonio. Not possible in any CA major city.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I keep wondering why we are 6th highest in taxes and so low on per-capita spending for education. There seems to be no accountability in Sacramento.
Because we're among the lowest in property taxes. 0.5% effective tax rate (averaging prop-13 protected and recent homebuyer households) vs. 2-3% in TX. Adjusted for higher cost of living (you have to pay more to CA employees, teachers & such to get quality personnel), total tax burden in CA is not substantially higher than in TX.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Not the point - it is easy to live in an area with effectively zero crime in TX. You can spend 200k and own a house in an area with good schools and no crime in Dallas, Houston, esp San Antonio. Not possible in any CA major city.
The grass always seems greener on the other side.

But, for example, crime rate in Plano - the quintessential "nice" Dallas suburb - is considerably higher than in Poway or Irvine.

There's no such thing as areas with zero crime, especially in major cities.

Last edited by esmith143; 07-13-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
total tax burden in CA is not substantially higher than in TX.
Unless you make 100k+ in CA and own a 500k house of course. Same house will cost you 200k in TX and there is no income tax. Even with 3% property tax you will come way, way ahead in TX. Now those summers....that is something else entirely.

My dear friend moved to Houston 10 years ago and never looked back, she lives like a queen there! She loves it, but it's not for me.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Unless you make 100k+ in CA and own a 500k house of course. Same house will cost you 200k in TX and there is no income tax. Even with 3% property tax you will come way, way ahead in TX. Now those summers....that is something else entirely.

My dear friend moved to Houston 10 years ago and never looked back, she lives like a queen there! She loves it, but it's not for me.
If you want to live in a good area with access to well-paid jobs, you may end up paying 500k for a similar house in TX anyway.

2529 Harris Blvd, Austin TX 78703 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Austin/2529-harris-blvd:ff53703fc75ac892149b22cfd2b74d6 - broken link)

If you live in the boonies, TX is cheap and so is CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California