Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM

119 posts, read 339,627 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Hopefully in the next couple of years I will establish myself enough in my new field (writing/editing) that I won't have to be tied to a certain locality for my job. And I want very much to move to California. So tell me: where is the most affordable, family-friendly, beautiful part of coastal California? I should add that we're looking to spend maybe around $300,000 for a single family home. And there must be good schools for our youngins.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Perhaps one doesn't exist?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Perhaps one doesn't exist?
Oh they exist, just don't expect to buy a house with your budget (think triple that amount). You can certainly rent though.

Are you dreaming of Northern California or Southern California?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Its a two part answer. Most affordable - Salinas. Home prices have dropped tremendously there since the bubble burst. Most beautiful - Monterey Peninsula down to Big Sur. Fortunately they're within 30 - 45 minutes of each other in the same county.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I don't know too much about CA coast north of Santa Barbara. But for areas south of Santa Barbara and north of San Diego these areas might have housing in that price range and I'll throw a few places in there that aren't necessarily beautiful but most have OK to good schools. All are within 20 minutes of the beach.

Ventura
Dana Point
San Juan Capistrano
Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista
Los Alamitos
Camarillo

Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Have to agree with Jeffredo.... Most folks I grew up with while living in the Monterey area have moved inland to Salinas where it is more affordable, but don't want to leave the area.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Oh they exist, just don't expect to buy a house with your budget (think triple that amount). You can certainly rent though.

Are you dreaming of Northern California or Southern California?
Probably NoCal, since it sounds like most of SoCal is totally out of my price range unless I live in the blazing desert.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks, everybody. Your suggestions are helpful.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM

75 posts, read 319,523 times
I live in SoCal and I'm looking to move to NorCal myself. SoCal has many warm sunny areas that are safe with decent schools and very family friendly. However you have to make a lot of money to live comfortably here. Like a Lawyer who is married to a Doctor could afford a nice beach place. Other than that apartments and homes are overpriced and the closer to the water the more outrageous and unaffordable they are. I live in an expensive area now, still not close enough to enjoy a beach breeze. Its blazing hot in the summer IMO with days over 90 and 100, although we also have days in the 80's in summer too. Someone mentioned Carlsbad, which isnt cheap either, but that is also a lovely area. It reminds me of Irvine CA + the beach. My vote would be for Carmel-Big Sur-Monterey based on the beauty of the coast. But I'm not saying that its going to be cheap either.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 PM

29 posts, read 117,199 times
I wouldn't know about nor-nor-cal, like Eureka or Crescent City, but NorCal is anything but cheap, unless you mean Stockton. It's funny how I knew that clongirl here was from the Bay area just by reding her post. In stark contrast, yes, you can find homes for your budget in SoCal, and likely even more so in two years if things continue the way they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California