Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post

Your father is spot on. You can go to Chicago (and hopefully you will learn a lot) then New York, but professionally it will set you back a couple years.
And in the mean time you end up as another waiter/waitress/barista/cashier/etc working for tips because your education wont get you anything else and you need to make enough money to afford somewhere to live and something to eat while you wait for your break
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM

213 posts, read 823,278 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
Degrees don't open doors in the film industry. Nobody cares if you have a diploma or where you got it from. It isn't the real world where you apply for a job and show your transcripts and people are going to ooh and ahh that you graduated from Art Institute of Chicago. If you get jobs in film, the only reason will be because you have friends who think you are qualified and are willing to stake their reputations on recommending you. The friends you make in Chicago can't help you in New York or LA.

Your father is spot on. You can go to Chicago (and hopefully you will learn a lot) then New York, but professionally it will set you back a couple years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
And in the mean time you end up as another waiter/waitress/barista/cashier/etc working for tips because your education wont get you anything else and you need to make enough money to afford somewhere to live and something to eat while you wait for your break
MisterDuke, I wasn't enthusiastic about attending Chicago's Art School for it's prestige or whatever; I saw that as my quick ticket out of the house and to be able to experience a brand new city. I'm beginning to realize that that's wrong, and my priorities are skewed.... especially since my parents would be the ones footing the bill for something that probably wouldn't even work out in the end.

I spoke with my dad a half hour ago on this to get more of his input. I'm becoming more convinced of his side rather than my itching to get out. I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind here. With my two older siblings, they've taken the "move out of the house" route but have only ended up coming back, which is exactly as my dad had predicted. I'm the youngest child and I want to break that sequence; the last thing I'd want to do is to move away, waste thousands of dollars and come back home because it didn't work out for me.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Go where your industry is. It's not in Chicago.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,124 times
If you can't afford a private school the next best bet is a "Charter school" they are a hybrid which is part corperate and part Govt. funded. The will fire bad teachers and they have high standards.

As you know the public schools have Unions that keep the principals from firing dangerous horrible teachers. The Union teachers can sit there drunk, make horrible comments and yell at your kids and the Unions will make sure that they can never be fired. In LA they have a building called "The rubber room" That is where they have the teachers go and just sit because they cant fire them but they are too dangerous to be near kids.

Resources: 20/20 [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw[/url]

Old 08-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Go where your industry is. It's not in Chicago.
I finally got that through my head. I actually posted this on another forum and the first reply I got was, "It seems to me that you are pretty set on wanting out of So cal, and chicago is a great city, especial for art, and film makeing and such."

...Laughter ensued.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 PM

143 posts, read 393,873 times
Sambazon, can I ask a couple of questions so I don't offer advice on assumptions? First, what type of filmmaking are you interested in? I'm assuming because you haven't specified, you are interested in feature films, but if it's something like documentaries, that's a whole other thing. Also, what year are you in college in?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:29 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
The problem is that Chicago probably isn't going to be as good a place to network for the film business as L.A. If you go to USC, which is, more than anything else, a good networking school probably with at least a few students whose fathers are in the film business (if they're not in the creative end they may be in the business end). There may also be other film students at USC who want to eventually go to NYC as you do and if they have the right "in" lined up you might be able to piggyback on it if you've "worked the room" right.

Personally, if I were a film major, I would double up with another major to either have something to fall back on if the film career turns out to be a dead end. Plus just the more stuff you know the more you will understand and that could be helpful to you as a film maker.

Whatever you decide, good luck. It's not an easy business to be in. You will have to hustle your behind off.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Kid View Post
Sambazon, can I ask a couple of questions so I don't offer advice on assumptions? First, what type of filmmaking are you interested in? I'm assuming because you haven't specified, you are interested in feature films, but if it's something like documentaries, that's a whole other thing. Also, what year are you in college in?
Documentaries are specifically what I'd love to do as well as music videos. Aside from shooting my own material, the editing aspect is one of the most fun things for me. Piecing together the material to effectively tell the story, color correcting, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
The problem is that Chicago probably isn't going to be as good a place to network for the film business as L.A. If you go to USC, which is, more than anything else, a good networking school probably with at least a few students whose fathers are in the film business (if they're not in the creative end they may be in the business end). There may also be other film students at USC who want to eventually go to NYC as you do and if they have the right "in" lined up you might be able to piggyback on it if you've "worked the room" right.

Personally, if I were a film major, I would double up with another major to either have something to fall back on if the film career turns out to be a dead end. Plus just the more stuff you know the more you will understand and that could be helpful to you as a film maker.

Whatever you decide, good luck. It's not an easy business to be in. You will have to hustle your behind off.
Great point, I originally started off college as a kinesiology/exercise physiology major, switched to pre-med, then film, and now my gut feeling is telling me to throw my original major back in the mix. Anything that involves studying the science of exercise, nutrition and all that (as I originally aspired to work in the fitness/healthcare industry) is something else I'm also incredibly passionate about; perhaps coming back to my long lost love would make me more of a well-rounded individual and as you've mentioned, I would have something else to fall back on should I not get my foot in the door with film. *knocks on wood*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California