Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 PM

96 posts, read 196,649 times

Advertisements

Hello all I'm a 35y/o man looking to relocate out West and have been giving California the once over. I"m a Nurse and Massage Therapist so work shouldn't be an issue, I'm just wanting to make sure I find a place that has it all w/ regards to great weather, nice residents, outdoor activity, zero humidity, and plenty of single ladies.

Your take is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Look at the Veterans Administration for openings, they operate hospitals in San Francisco, Palo Alto, LA, San Diego and others, see what you can get.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,728,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmac View Post
Hello all I'm a 35y/o man looking to relocate out West and have been giving California the once over. I"m a Nurse and Massage Therapist so work shouldn't be an issue, I'm just wanting to make sure I find a place that has it all w/ regards to great weather, nice residents, outdoor activity, zero humidity, and plenty of single ladies.

Your take is greatly appreciated!
Zero humidity isn't going to happen but you won't experience anything like you do in the east.
You want city, mountains, ocean, desert, etc.?
Small town, big town, city, rural, etc.?
CaliFORNIA is a big state and it's environmentally and culturally diverse.
What does your budget allow for a rental?
You want liberal? How liberal?
More detailed info would help due to the size and diversity of .... one more time ... CaliFORNIA.
People will tend to give you grief when you say, "Cali".

Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Check the job listings first; I don't know about your field in particular, but I think almost all fields in CA right now are experiencing major economic pressures, even traditionally "recession proof" professions. Not to be overly negative, just to sound the warning in case you haven't looked into it too closely yet.

You'll get better answers if you can be more specific (good questions above); there are plenty of places that fit the bill, at least with the broad requirements you've laid out so far, but much will depend on budget and job availability.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Narrow it down to a couple of places and then ask for opinions. Your wants might be hard to find. For little or no humidity you can go inland, but for women you will want a beach area or maybe west part of Los Angeles. There you can find lots of singles, but some humidity. Of course outdoor acitivities can be found almost everywhere. Part of what you would like spells small town and part urban life. Maybe Glendale or Pasadena would work or maybe some places closer to the bay area.

Yes, take the advise of others and check the jobs sites. Even the nursing industry isn't as open in California as elsewhere, but at least you do have a good marketable field. Remember your $$ won't go as far either.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Concur with mnita to whom I was unable to give a rep point.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Look at the Veterans Administration for openings, they operate hospitals in San Francisco, Palo Alto, LA, San Diego and others, see what you can get.
Yeah I used to work at the VA in Miami and I"m a Vet myself. I planned on using the VA as my fall back, as they don't pay as much as most medical facilities, but you can't beat the job security. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Zero humidity isn't going to happen but you won't experience anything like you do in the east.
You want city, mountains, ocean, desert, etc.?
Small town, big town, city, rural, etc.?
CaliFORNIA is a big state and it's environmentally and culturally diverse.
What does your budget allow for a rental?
You want liberal? How liberal?
More detailed info would help due to the size and diversity of .... one more time ... CaliFORNIA.
People will tend to give you grief when you say, "Cali".
OH MY GOD! really grief over that? I've experienced some negative people on other states blogs on this board before, but thanks for the heads up. Heres a little more info.

I'm from Jax Fl, lived all over the East coast and lived in some very small towns in Mtns of NC to very over pop cities such as Miami, Ft. Laud etc. My 1st concern is the humidity I left S. Fl due to that it was insane, I mean you couldn't even go to the beach cause every thing would stick to you.

Financially: I try to stay away from this topic cause in the past on other blogs here I've supposedly rubbed some the wrong way.
What type of place would I get for between $1500-$2500mth? I know that's a broad range and prob varies a great deal depending on where I choose to live but on avg?

I would like to live in Northern California wher the Mtns are, so I'd get those seasons, that is if seasons actually happen in the state.

As far as Liberal/Conservative go I never have really understood all that PC type stuff, if it means what the terms actually mean then I'd like to live around more ecclectic open minded folks, who aren't judgemental.

I really appreciate you help, Thanks!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,728,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmac View Post
OH MY GOD! really grief over that? I've experienced some negative people on other states blogs on this board before, but thanks for the heads up. Heres a little more info.

I'm from Jax Fl, lived all over the East coast and lived in some very small towns in Mtns of NC to very over pop cities such as Miami, Ft. Laud etc. My 1st concern is the humidity I left S. Fl due to that it was insane, I mean you couldn't even go to the beach cause every thing would stick to you.

Financially: I try to stay away from this topic cause in the past on other blogs here I've supposedly rubbed some the wrong way.
What type of place would I get for between $1500-$2500mth? I know that's a broad range and prob varies a great deal depending on where I choose to live but on avg?

I would like to live in Northern California wher the Mtns are, so I'd get those seasons, that is if seasons actually happen in the state.

As far as Liberal/Conservative go I never have really understood all that PC type stuff, if it means what the terms actually mean then I'd like to live around more ecclectic open minded folks, who aren't judgemental.

I really appreciate you help, Thanks!
Well, c'mon out to Santa Cruz county.
With that budget, you'll have no problem finding a good rental.
This is the central coast of California ... the "top" of it (roughly) and we're on the beautiful Monterey bay.
San Francisco is less than 2 hours to the north, Monterey is less than an hour to the south and the Truckee / Tahoe (Sierra range) area is less than 41/2 hours away for when you want some snow (and it's a lot of snow!) and altitude.
San Jose is just over the hill and with no traffic, i can get there in about 1/2 hour. With traffic .... well, i don't do that.
The seasons will not be like the east coast.
Unless you're in the higher altitudes, winter = rain.
This is a Mediterranean climate which is really wonderful as long as you don't mind rain in the winter.
For someone who gardens, it's heaven.
The mountains that will provide you with the seasons that you're more familiar with are not on the coast of CA.
Santa Cruz has beautiful weather from (roughly) the end of April through October. Temps are generally speaking, in the upper 70's - 80's and i guarantee you, humidity will not be an issue.
I know what east coast humidity is.
Fog rolls in and out on the coast and sometimes comes inland depending on where you live in the county but unless you're right on the coast and it's a real foggy day, it won't be an issue.
Where i live (about 6 miles inland) it's never foggy during the day and sometimes there is morning fog, sometimes not and same for the evening.
Many places in the county have no fog.
It's nice though ... natural air conditioning.
Winters are rainy but there are stretches of beautiful days between the rains.
UCSC is here so there is a college influence but not in any problematic sort of way.
There are many kinds of ways to live here from really rural, to semi rural to sub-urban to "urban" but not like hardcore city urban.
This is a "young" area .... lots of single men and women in their 20's and 30's and upward.
It's liberal, tolerant, diverse and open.
Check it out ... you may like.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 08-15-2009 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Narrow it down to a couple of places and then ask for opinions. Your wants might be hard to find. For little or no humidity you can go inland, but for women you will want a beach area or maybe west part of Los Angeles. There you can find lots of singles, but some humidity. Of course outdoor acitivities can be found almost everywhere. Part of what you would like spells small town and part urban life. Maybe Glendale or Pasadena would work or maybe some places closer to the bay area.

Yes, take the advise of others and check the jobs sites. Even the nursing industry isn't as open in California as elsewhere, but at least you do have a good marketable field. Remember your $$ won't go as far either.

Nita
That's the thing I'm not familiar w/ any of California. I was about to move just N. of SF a few years back but those plans were shelved for a bit.

I've looked into SD but it seems so far away from the rest of the world almost, I'd like a place that got the seasons, but does anywhere fit that bill in California?

Finances: I don't discuss cause they're relative w/ regards to what one person can afford compared to another, plus I've had bad experiences on these sites w/ that discussion before.

I'd afford between 1500-2500mth for rent. Of course I wouldn't come any where close to spending that any place on the EAST Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California