Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 PM

11 posts, read 169,304 times

Advertisements

We've lived on the Central Coast for three years and are thinking of trying Northern CA. What's to be said for Eureka? Weather, jobs, housing, walkability of town, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 113,134 times
Default Eureka

Everything and I mean everything is great except for the weather and it is a doozy. Cold and wet all of the time. Anyone with Seasonal Affective Disorder should not move to Eureka. The weather and the high cost of living are the only bad things about Eureka.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 17,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiamom
Everything and I mean everything is great except for the weather and it is a doozy. Cold and wet all of the time. Anyone with Seasonal Affective Disorder should not move to Eureka. The weather and the high cost of living are the only bad things about Eureka.
It depends on what exactly you view as bad weather.

When I was there, I loved the weather. It was always cool, a little moist, and the air was always misty in the morning. And it really is a beautiful area.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Thanks 'jokerarewild' - I got a little bummed out with the first response (although they were beinging truthful I'm sure).

From what I have read it's usually fogging in the morning and evening and there's sun during mid-day. Was that what you experienced?

We both grew up in New England and left as I hated the months of grey, cold and rain from November through April or May. I really don't mind any of these as long as it doesn't last for half the year and as long as there are sunny days mixed in there. What do you think? Will I survive?

Old 07-25-2006, 05:09 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayfrog
From what I have read it's usually fogging in the morning and evening and there's sun during mid-day.
That's the usual pattern for summer. The rest of the year has some sun mixed in, but the overcast is still pervasive. In fact, I would say that about a third of the days with the best weather occurs in fall and winter, i.e. between the autumnal equinox and the vernal equinox. About a third of the worst weather occurs in summer. Seasonal variation is minimal and one of the things that is difficult for many people is that there is no extended season of great weather as you have in some other gloomville areas such as Seattle or Portland where you have four months of nothing but sunshine. On the Humboldt Coast, it's a few days of nice weather, then a few days of overcast. The weather can turn on a dime, and a horrible morning can turn into a glorious afternoon or vice-versa.
This is a great climate for thermophobes -- people who just can't stand heat at all. A lot of the people who end up staying here are thermophobes.
If you are interested in the Humboldt Bay area, Arcata is a much nicer community than Eureka. Much of Eureka is quite industrial, but there are a number of elegant Victorian and Craftsman homes there.

Last edited by Steve97415; 07-25-2006 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 AM

231 posts, read 508,863 times
Ì`m from Eureka, and lived there for 25 years. It is pretty cool (literally) but not much for jobs. The surrounding areas, from the mountains to the beaches, are some of the most beautiful in the world. Arcata really is nice, so is Mckinleyville- I`d actually like to live there over Eureka. All the towns are small and "quaint" for the most part. But COLD for me-Ì don`t think I could live up there anymore- I`ve been spoiled by 6 years of Mexican heat. I`d be happy to answer any other specific questions about the area.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks for your comments 'gringo istmeno' - I'm not sure I can take cold weather anymore either! We grew up on the East coast and lived in Maine for years. Moving to the Central Coast of California was a move to better weather. My husband and I just left San Luis Obispo 3 months ago and have been living in another great weather place, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico!!! We're enjoying the high elevation, no humidity, sunny days, cool nights and great thunder storms! We got a kick out of the fact that you're in Mexico too!

Regarding Eureka, do you think we'd be able to make it after being spoiled by sunny days with no end!?!?!

Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 PM

Default eureka weather

sayfrog- that is pretty cool that you guys live down here too- we used to be in Oaxaca city- same deal with the cool nights and thunderstorms there, but now I`m on the very humid and always hot coast. Anyways, I guess you`d get used to the cold Eureka weather- and it does have it`s sunny and warm occasions, and you REALLY enjoy them. I always remember September/October being the best weather months. And all summer there are great get-aways into the mountains where it is hot and you can enjoy beautiful rivers- check out Willow Creek, 45 minute drive east. But you have to count on pretty much a 3-month downpour during the winter. Those make for some nice nights by the fire too though. I`d recommend Northern California to anybody.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 22,885 times
Could anyone elaborate on jobs and cost of living? If jobs are lacking, it would stand to reason that the cost of living would be lower than say SF or LA. Just curious...

Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Default cost of living

like I said, I haven`t lived there in 6 years, but yes, the cost of living (rents, houses, etc) is way lower the SF and LA. You can check the stats on this site, but in general, I think everyone would have to agree that Eureka is considerably cheaper to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California