Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:23 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,778 times

Advertisements

I live in Bakersfield and I grew up raising animals for 4-H. I'm finishing up with college and going off to law school soon but I wanted to get some input for afterwards. I want to practice law in one of the following cites (I have more but they're out of California):

Los Angeles
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Barbara

Eventually, I'd like to buy some acreage zoned to allow farm animals. My only request is that the area is within a 30-minute commute of any of these cities. Any suggestions for areas like this would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 04:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Los Angeles
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Barbara

Eventually, I'd like to buy some acreage zoned to allow farm animals. My only request is that the area is within a 30-minute commute of any of these cities. Any suggestions for areas like this would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Not gonna happen. 30 minutes means 5 miles in traffic. Oh, and you didn't mention how many millions you have. Best bet will be Sacto or possibly some areas in Eastern San Diego county. Desert is probably the most realistic and you are looking at 90 minute+ commutes.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Don't forget the Santa Cruz mountains just outside of San Jose'

Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
Or even San Jose itself.. there is a lot of farmland along Hale Avenue, as you go south from the IBM facility at Bailey Road.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
Sacramento will work, there's plenty of acreage south and north of there. Even a ways to the south east toward Amador County.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Not gonna happen. 30 minutes means 5 miles in traffic. Oh, and you didn't mention how many millions you have. Best bet will be Sacto or possibly some areas in Eastern San Diego county. Desert is probably the most realistic and you are looking at 90 minute+ commutes.
Okay, then let's say forty-five minutes. Or, to make it easier, within 30 MILES (and I'll deal with the time I guess). As I lawyer, I'm expecting to pull in $165,000 just to start. Depending on whether I'm going into personal injury or litigation I could have millions by the time I'm thirty and I won't be buying land until I can afford it of course.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Sacramento will work, there's plenty of acreage south and north of there. Even a ways to the south east toward Amador County.
Is Davis to Sac a reasonable commute? And is there acreage in Davis itself?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:09 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,891 times
Its really hard to pinpoint land anymore in the Sacramento area. Try realtor dot com for pricing.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,634 times
Quote:
I'm finishing up with college and going off to law school soon but I wanted to get some input for afterwards.
Quote:
As I lawyer, I'm expecting to pull in $165,000 just to start. Depending on whether I'm going into personal injury or litigation I could have millions by the time I'm thirty and I won't be buying land until I can afford it of course.
Tangodoodles--it appears you have not started law school yet, but you should know that the vast majority of lawyers graduating law school do NOT make the $165k salary you mention. While it is true that the top law firms in major markets (who only hire top candidates, i.e., Ivy League law grads, and if you went to a lower tier school, you better graduate in the top 10%) pay $165k to start, this is only in places like LA, SF, NYC, and DC. You will not garner that same high salary in many other large markets, including Seattle, Denver, and other similar sized cities. A very sizeable portion of law grads find themselves making $60k to $90k. I say this only so that you can have realistic expectations on salary and so you can gauge whether it will be worth it to take on any loans you will need for school. The other piece of advice I would give you is to be careful with telling people you are a lawyer and then throwing around how much money you make or expect to make. Enough people despise lawyers without having to fan the fire in this manner.

Good luck with law school.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Tangodoodles--it appears you have not started law school yet, but you should know that the vast majority of lawyers graduating law school do NOT make the $165k salary you mention. While it is true that the top law firms in major markets (who only hire top candidates, i.e., Ivy League law grads, and if you went to a lower tier school, you better graduate in the top 10%) pay $165k to start, this is only in places like LA, SF, NYC, and DC. You will not garner that same high salary in many other large markets, including Seattle, Denver, and other similar sized cities. A very sizeable portion of law grads find themselves making $60k to $90k. I say this only so that you can have realistic expectations on salary and so you can gauge whether it will be worth it to take on any loans you will need for school. The other piece of advice I would give you is to be careful with telling people you are a lawyer and then throwing around how much money you make or expect to make. Enough people despise lawyers without having to fan the fire in this manner.

Good luck with law school.
The starting salary for most associates at a corporate law firm in LA, New York, or SF is $165,000 and you can expect salary bonuses at some point. Criminal attorneys obviously make less. My parents are both lawyers and are paying my tuition so I'm not worried about affording law school. And since my GPA is in the range necessary to be accepted at a school like UC Berkeley or University of Chicago, I'd be more likely to get a high-paying corporate job. SF and LA were both on my list of cities. I wasn't being a jerk about money. I'm being honest. The other poster asked how much money I had or expected to make and I'm giving an honest answer based on experience from my parents and their many friends who are lawyers. Thanks for your input, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California