Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM

78 posts, read 515,138 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I are looking for a reasonably priced area to purchase some land with nice views, preferably within 30 minutes of Redding. Ideally we'd like 20 acres or more, with trees, hills, and maybe with a creek or other water source? Off the grid is fine. We want to build a cabin and use it for weekends/vacations and eventually retire there.

I used to live in California and we are moving back early next year, but it's been awhile since I've been in the area, so would appreciate advice on which areas would be good to look into and which we should stay clear of.

Here's a couple areas that I've seen looking on the MLS:
-Igo/Ono - I've seen some deals on a number of 40 acres lots in Ono in Trinity Alps Preserve - how far from Redding is this? Is this area nice? The price ranges quite a bit on the lots in this area, so are some areas that much nicer than others?

-Bella Vista - I've seen a few properties off of Backbone Ridge road - any thoughts on this area?

Any other areas that anyone suggests? Is now a good time to look at buying land, or do you think it's better to wait until after summer ends and see if prices drop? Are there any other sites that we should be looking at other than the MLS and craigslist for properties?

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
You'll probably be able to find some good deals on acreage as soon as they finish extinguishing all the fires.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Since you aren't in a hurry you may find your best deals during the winter months. Draw a 25 mile circle around redding and look through realtor.com. It's hard to tell from your post whether you are moving back and renting until you can build something to move into or if you're planning upon building at retirement time.

In my area I take folks on a 17 mile drive through my market area that shows them the variety of terrain and vegetation. You really do need to see land with your own eyes, no amount of internet marketing is going to do justice to your search, but I guess you can start acquainting yourself with the market prices.

Good luck in your search

Old 07-23-2008, 05:57 PM

259 posts, read 765,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger44 View Post
Hello all!

My husband and I are looking for a reasonably priced area to purchase some land with nice views, preferably within 30 minutes of Redding. Ideally we'd like 20 acres or more, with trees, hills, and maybe with a creek or other water source? Off the grid is fine. We want to build a cabin and use it for weekends/vacations and eventually retire there.

I used to live in California and we are moving back early next year, but it's been awhile since I've been in the area, so would appreciate advice on which areas would be good to look into and which we should stay clear of.

Here's a couple areas that I've seen looking on the MLS:
-Igo/Ono - I've seen some deals on a number of 40 acres lots in Ono in Trinity Alps Preserve - how far from Redding is this? Is this area nice? The price ranges quite a bit on the lots in this area, so are some areas that much nicer than others?

-Bella Vista - I've seen a few properties off of Backbone Ridge road - any thoughts on this area?

Any other areas that anyone suggests? Is now a good time to look at buying land, or do you think it's better to wait until after summer ends and see if prices drop? Are there any other sites that we should be looking at other than the MLS and craigslist for properties?

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

The best place to look is in the Redding Nickel and on Craigslist. I see tons of land for sale off the grid.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM

259 posts, read 765,328 times
btw, do wait until winter. The mortgage/financial crisis is only going to get worse.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Since you aren't in a hurry you may find your best deals during the winter months. Draw a 25 mile circle around redding and look through realtor.com. It's hard to tell from your post whether you are moving back and renting until you can build something to move into or if you're planning upon building at retirement time.

In my area I take folks on a 17 mile drive through my market area that shows them the variety of terrain and vegetation. You really do need to see land with your own eyes, no amount of internet marketing is going to do justice to your search, but I guess you can start acquainting yourself with the market prices.

Good luck in your search
Thanks for your advice! We are not in a hurry, so we'll see how the prices look in the winter. I'm tracking prices in different areas now, so I can compare as prices drop, so was seeing if any areas are considered better than others. We'll be renting when we move back, and then we'll be looking to build a cabin on the land we purchase, but we're not in a rush.

We definitely plan to take a trip up there and check out the areas before buying - we'll probably wait until winter now, since the best deals are then.

Thanks again - I've read some of your other posts, and they've been very informative.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
The best place to look is in the Redding Nickel and on Craigslist. I see tons of land for sale off the grid.

btw, do wait until winter. The mortgage/financial crisis is only going to get worse.
I'll definitely check out the Redding Nickel and Craigslist, as well. I wasn't sure how California's land market was doing, so wanted to get an idea from the locals - will definitely wait and see how the prices go down in the winter!

Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:52 AM

25 posts, read 134,076 times
The fires are pretty much over, clear skies now and I too agree that winter months are usually the best months to buy land (better deals). I personally would not live in Igo or Ono (nothing against these small town) but from a practical perspective they are very remote (45min. outside of Redding) - you have to plan your major grocery trips, doctor's visit, etc...I think anywhere within a 15-20 mile range from central Redding is great. Bella Vista is a great area. You'll find views in Lakehead (about 25 min. North of Redding) or you can go towards Shingletown (windy road about 25 min. East) small, but very affordable and depending on how high the elevation, you can get some nice views.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaLiving View Post
The fires are pretty much over, clear skies now and I too agree that winter months are usually the best months to buy land (better deals). I personally would not live in Igo or Ono (nothing against these small town) but from a practical perspective they are very remote (45min. outside of Redding) - you have to plan your major grocery trips, doctor's visit, etc...I think anywhere within a 15-20 mile range from central Redding is great. Bella Vista is a great area. You'll find views in Lakehead (about 25 min. North of Redding) or you can go towards Shingletown (windy road about 25 min. East) small, but very affordable and depending on how high the elevation, you can get some nice views.
Thanks for the area recommendations - that helps a lot. We will check out the listings in these areas and track the prices and see how they as winter approaches.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,206 times
Default Acreage near Redding

I too am moving to Redding area. If you like trees, we found the Lakehead area to be ideal. 20 minutes to Redding. You actually get to drive over the lake every day to get to Redding (I love that part!)

The Lakehead area is right off I-5 and has a cute little grocery store there, a few resturants, cute little cafe, laundramat. We bought 34 acres off Gillman Rd. for 136K. Great property, Salt Creek runs through it. Lots of areas near mine for sale. Bare land and acreage with houses.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California