Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM

51 posts, read 72,046 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Turlock. I am currently an assistant manager and have been offered a GM job in Turlock. I have 3 kids(10,7,and 4.) The job is about a two year commitment. I like a little more of a small town life, and enjoy the outdoors. My kids are my #1 concern. I want them to be happy and safe in school. The pay raise is about 20% over what I make now and more in bonus potential. Any comments, suggestions, or thoughts?
Thanks for any and all input.
Fins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 AM

637 posts, read 3,236,136 times
Get ready and prepare for the fog...

Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 AM

51 posts, read 72,046 times
I lived in Modesto for a year in 1980. I was only in 3rd grade, but I remember the fog. I also remember I hated Modesto. I think we lived in a bad neighborhood, but I am not really sure. I know we lived next to a park (Pikes park maybe?) I hope Turlock is better than that place was.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,240 times
I would ask first why? I say that being I have lived in the Modesto area and would move to the Redding area over it in a heart beat. You say you like the out door things well in Turlock you will have to drive farther for that. The fog is bad at times but not as bad as farther south say as Fresno. The air quality will also be better then Redding or Fresno being both are at the ends of the valley so every thing gets blown to them and sticks around there. There are a few lakes close to Turlock but no were near to any thing close to Shasta or the others in the Redding area. Cost of homes will be about the same to maybe a tinny bit higher in Turlock being it is kind of a bedroom area for the SF area even thou it is a 2 hour commute many do it. Jobs other wise well not many and it dose have a crime and drug related problem as most areas now days do. It is not hilly or even close to it but flat and more flat but with the same heat as Redding with no snow only Fog and rain in the winter. Also summer rain forget it again unless you do go to the Mountains about an hour and half plus away. About 2 hours if you drive sanely is a small ski resort and also a small alpine like for fishing in the spring to fall time. Some stream fishing also but not the fishing or accesses that the Redding area has at all.
Spring is around the end of Feb and summer kicks in shortly after that no real fall to speak of not by a calendar but by weather . I have a lot of family in Turlock and Modesto area. I personal live in Fresno now but I can tell you I dislike all of the areas and want to move to the Redding area or north if I stay in Calif. but will most likely be leaving the state if and when the wife’s job search leads to that end. as with any area there is good and Bad but in this case I believe your giving up way more good then you will be getting in return even with a pay increases. But that’s my opinion and what I feel may not be the same as you so take some time drive down there stay a night or two and look the area over as if you’re living there. Go do and see things you would do in a normal day to day life and see if it fits you and your family then make your mind up from it and all the info you have gathered. By the way good luck and what every you end up doing hope it all works out for the best for you and the family!

PS speaking of Fog it can get to almost zero visibility at times. The mountains are close but not as close as Redding’s are and to escape the heat you will have to travel farther or find other ways to cool off in Turlock. Getting to the coast is also about the same but more crowed when you go to it and the spots closer to Turlock then the Redding area up north. I have travel a lot this summer all over Calif and that included many trips to the Redding area or threw it up hwy 5 and also from the coast in to Redding and out to Susanville. I have lived in Calif for about 40 years of my life. Also I believe the Turlock area will be a bit more ethnic diversified as in none whites then the Redding area or from what I have seen in Redding during my travels there.

Last edited by huntman58; 12-17-2009 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 PM

102 posts, read 337,965 times
I live in Turlock, have for a few years (I just moved out a month ago). Turlock is a decent town, better than surrounding areas. Stay away from anything by Lander Ave, even those houses off of linwood...they may look nice but they are infested by gangs, and the schools your kids would be going to would either be Cunningham or Wakefield, both very bad school, low low scores- language is a big problem here as there are a majority of mexican families that don't speak English, there are also a lot of Indian families bringing the same problem. The best school in Turlock is Walnut Elementary School, but admission is based off of the lottery system. You want to stay away from any houses to the right of the railroad tracks (when coming from northbound 99). Also, there are a lot of bad pockets around the whole walmart, (fulkerth/tully) area. Turlock is one of those towns where you can't always tell a neighborhood is bad by looking at it. Talk to the local PD for some areas that would be good to check out...you could also tell by the cost of renting (if you are planning on renting initially). I lived on the wrong side of the tracks, but close enough to them that i didn't think it would be that bad...my car was broken into 2 times, and my house was robbed. Most of my family live in Turlock and are really happy there, they just have the money where they can afford the more expensive areas that I was not so fortunate to be able to afford. So, as long as you can live in the nicer areas, I think you will love it. (But I still recommend getting a house alarm, keep your door locked at ALL times, even when you are home- this is advice I received directly from one of the high ranking officers in the local PD, he is family and passed the advice on to all of us...no need to be freaked out, but there has been an increase in home invasions, i personally know someone in Turlock that was a victim of this on East Ave....near Turlock High School).

Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 AM

637 posts, read 3,236,136 times
I believe the above referenced post's are the reason it is often referred to by Californian's as "Turdlock". It simply has no redeeming qualities that would make someone want to live there. I believe one moves to, and lives in Turdlock because they have to, not because they want to.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:09 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
I believe the above referenced post's are the reason it is often referred to by Californian's as "Turdlock". It simply has no redeeming qualities that would make someone want to live there. I believe one moves to, and lives in Turdlock because they have to, not because they want to.
Your a f'n idiot, I live in California and have never heard someone call it that.
Turlock is one of the better cities in the central valley, and 80% of it is a safe place to live. There are some outstanding spots in Turlock to live, and the college being there give it a good vibe. I get so mad when people make stupid comments from there computers half way around the country.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
I live in Turlock, have for a few years (I just moved out a month ago). Turlock is a decent town, better than surrounding areas. Stay away from anything by Lander Ave, even those houses off of linwood...they may look nice but they are infested by gangs, and the schools your kids would be going to would either be Cunningham or Wakefield, both very bad school, low low scores- language is a big problem here as there are a majority of mexican families that don't speak English, there are also a lot of Indian families bringing the same problem. The best school in Turlock is Walnut Elementary School, but admission is based off of the lottery system. You want to stay away from any houses to the right of the railroad tracks (when coming from northbound 99). Also, there are a lot of bad pockets around the whole walmart, (fulkerth/tully) area. Turlock is one of those towns where you can't always tell a neighborhood is bad by looking at it. Talk to the local PD for some areas that would be good to check out...you could also tell by the cost of renting (if you are planning on renting initially). I lived on the wrong side of the tracks, but close enough to them that i didn't think it would be that bad...my car was broken into 2 times, and my house was robbed. Most of my family live in Turlock and are really happy there, they just have the money where they can afford the more expensive areas that I was not so fortunate to be able to afford. So, as long as you can live in the nicer areas, I think you will love it. (But I still recommend getting a house alarm, keep your door locked at ALL times, even when you are home- this is advice I received directly from one of the high ranking officers in the local PD, he is family and passed the advice on to all of us...no need to be freaked out, but there has been an increase in home invasions, i personally know someone in Turlock that was a victim of this on East Ave....near Turlock High School).
Good description, although every city has a bad part of town, so what do you expect? I live in a apartment by canal/olive, which isn't the best part of town, and I never had any problems.

I think Turlock is a great place to live, especially if you have a job lined up, take it from someone that actually knows, not someone talking out of their back side.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 44,139 times
I grew up in Ceres, 2 miles north of Turlock, and I've seen Turlock grow and change over the last 20 years in the best way possible. It has really developed into a small-town/college city. There are better schools than others (see above postings), and there are a few specialized schools if you're interested (Walnut Education Center, Whitmore Charter School) and plenty of recreation activities for the kids. City of Turlock: City Departments: Municipal Services Overall, it is a nice city and a great one to raise a family in, even if its only for the next few years.

The weather isn't that bad, yes, we get fog, but nothing that isn't bearable, especially in the city limits. Out in the country, it can be a little scary driving at night, but it doesn't last that long. And summers get pretty hot, I believe the high last summer was 112. Nothing that the A/C or a swimming pool won't fix.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,417 times
Schools in Turlock suck... with the exception of one or two... so I'd look at that. I'm not a big fan of Redding, either, but at least academics seems to be a bigger priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California