Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 AM

11 posts, read 18,211 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My name is Kate. I would like to take this time and thank you ahead of time for you help.

My hubby has been offered a fascinating opportunity to promote however doing so would mean relocating to California ( southern).

We visited San Diego five years ago while on vacation and fell in love with the city. Loved the weather and enjoyed spending time at the beach even though it was February! We would've chosen the San Diego office but that position has been recently filled. Bummer.. He has the option to work out of the Downtown L.A. or Irvine office. We have been to neither cities so this is where you folks come in.

Before I continue further let me make myself clear and point out that we are perfectly fine where we currently live (McLean, VA). We dont need the extra money from the promotion but year after year of watching the Rose parade and noting the sunny clear skies my hubby has suggested that a change in scenery might be good for the whole family. We wont make the move unless doing so has a positive impact and improves the quality of life for the whole family ( no more shoveling snow).

1) Safe and clean neighborhoods is a must!!!! Want to be able to walk my dog at night without fearing getting mugged. We would like to find a place comparable to McLean (would prefer same demographics).

2) My hubbys current commute time is under 10 minutes as his firm is based out of McLean area. I work from home (own my own business) so commute time is not an issue for me. Ideally we want to keep the commute under an hour (30-45 minutes preferred). Accessibility to public transportation is a plus.

3) We have two children. One is in 8th grade and the other is in high school ( 11th grade). Outstanding public schools is a MUST!! School districts with a science/technology based curriculum is highly encourage. Additionally, we are seeking school districts that have a partnership with local universities and offer programs where my 11th grade son can take summer college level courses. We're open to consider private schooling as a last resort. Would rather put those monies aside in a college fund.

4) Close ride away to museums, fine restaurants and attractions.

5) We would prefer an area that leans conservative although not a must. Dont want to find myself bumping into hippies and extreme liberal types.

6) Would like to pay the least amount of taxes so if the tax rate would very fom city to city please let us know.

7) With California's fiscal woes and another projected $20 billion deficit next year, would buying a house and relocated here in your opinion be a smart move?

Our combine annual income is $320k. Our house was recently appraised for $1.5 m and currently still owe approximately $250k on it. We plan to pay off and hold on to the property.

With out tight schedules we would only have weekend of Jan 15th to find our dream home. Any advice and suggestions that helps us narrow down the search would be highly appreciated. Thanks once again!! I hope this move end up working out.

Last edited by NOVA Kate; 12-28-2009 at 03:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
If not shoveling snow is the only improvement you expect, you might as well stay in VA.

If you do decide to move to CA, go with the Irvine office. There are much more like-minded folks down thatta way.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What is your housing budget? This is a critical piece of information for the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA Kate View Post
With out tight schedules we would only have weekend of Jan 15th to find our dream home.
Is renting at first an option?

Quote:
He has the option to work out of the Downtown L.A. or Irvine office.

Safe and clean neighborhoods is a must!!!! Want to be able to walk my dog at night without fearing getting mugged.
We would like to find a place comparable to McLean (would prefer same demographics).

want to keep the commute under an hour (30-45 minutes preferred).

Outstanding public schools is a MUST!!

6) Would like to pay the least amount of taxes so if the tax rate would very fom city to city please let us know.

Taxes will be pretty similar (percentage) everywhere, depending on purchase price however newer homes (>1990) may have an additional assessment called a Mello Roos which can add maybe $2K-$5K per year but it has a maturity date (ends 20 years or so from initiation). I think most people deduct the MR "taxes" for their income taxes too, just like property taxes.

I will assume you will work with the Irvine office. If I was you (and I sort of am), then this is what I would do. Centering on the downtown office is a completely different analysis, however public transportation is a bigger possibility.

Irvine demographics are similar to McLean with one huge difference: McLean is 80% white, Irvine is about 40% white and 45% Asian. Median income about $125K in McLean, $112K in Irvine. Irvine schools as a whole are probably the (academically) best in Southern California. If you want a higher percentage of white people and you want to center on the Irvine office, then you can consider the beach/coastal communities where it is very expensive (in $/sqft) or you can consider further south in Orange County. For example, in south OC, zips 92696 and 92679 have both 80% white and median income over $100K. Homes in Southern Orange County are served by Capistrano School District and Saddleback School District - both very good too.

Here is a set of househunting tools that I put together:

Useful Househunting Tools

Here is a great tool to find potentially good schools:

California School Performance Maps

Here is a great demographics comparison (by zip code) tool:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Once you have determined where you want to live, then use this to work on finding a home including analyzing recent sales data, HOA, location, amenities, etc:

http://www.redfin.com/home

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:21 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Laguna Niguel or if you can afford it, the West end of coastal Dana Point.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Hello all,

You want it ALL - outstanding schools, museums, no crime, clean streets, etc. but you don't want to pay the taxes for all of this. Now you know why the sate is almost bankrupt .

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Are you sure you want to move you eldest for the last year of High School? I would wait till after graduation if possible to move. Also are you prepared to live without any of your support system of family and friends? It is very hard.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Southern California is nothing like the area around DC. I'm not sure I would move if you like it there.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,900 times
Downtown L.A. is a train wreck... I'd opt for Irvine... If I made $250k a year.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hello all,

My name is Kate. I would like to take this time and thank you ahead of time for you help.

My hubby has been offered a fascinating opportunity to promote however doing so would mean relocating to California ( southern).

We visited San Diego five years ago while on vacation and fell in love with the city. Loved the weather and enjoyed spending time at the beach even though it was February! We would've chosen the San Diego office but that position has been recently filled. Bummer.. He has the option to work out of the Downtown L.A. or Irvine office. We have been to neither cities so this is where you folks come in.

Before I continue further let me make myself clear and point out that we are perfectly fine where we currently live (McLean, VA). We dont need the extra money from the promotion but year after year of watching the Rose parade and noting the sunny clear skies my hubby has suggested that a change in scenery might be good for the whole family. We wont make the move unless doing so has a positive impact and improves the quality of life for the whole family ( no more shoveling snow).

1) Safe and clean neighborhoods is a must!!!! Want to be able to walk my dog at night without fearing getting mugged. We would like to find a place comparable to McLean (would prefer same demographics).

2) My hubbys current commute time is under 10 minutes as his firm is based out of McLean area. I work from home (own my own business) so commute time is not an issue for me. Ideally we want to keep the commute under an hour (30-45 minutes preferred). Accessibility to public transportation is a plus.

3) We have two children. One is in 8th grade and the other is in high school ( 11th grade). Outstanding public schools is a MUST!! School districts with a science/technology based curriculum is highly encourage. Additionally, we are seeking school districts that have a partnership with local universities and offer programs where my 11th grade son can take summer college level courses. We're open to consider private schooling as a last resort. Would rather put those monies aside in a college fund.

4) Close ride away to museums, fine restaurants and attractions.

5) We would prefer an area that leans conservative although not a must. Dont want to find myself bumping into hippies and extreme liberal types.

7) With California's fiscal woes and another projected $20 billion deficit next year, would buying a house and relocated here in your opinion be a smart move?

Our combine annual income is $320k. Our house was recently appraised for $1.5 m and currently still owe approximately $250k on it. We plan to pay off and hold on to the property.

With out tight schedules we would only have weekend of Jan 15th to find our dream home. Any advice and suggestions that helps us narrow down the search would be highly appreciated. Thanks once again!! I hope this move end up working out.
your only choice would have to be Irvine and the surrounding communities. Downtown Los Angeles would not work, if for no other reason, the commute. If that wasn't an issue I would suggest So Pasadena. Irvine will be as close to what you liked about San Diego than most parts of Los Angeles.

Good luck,,I understand why you would like a change, we did visa versa many years ago, went from the L.A. area to NOVA. Our son was starting his senior year in high school. The positive thing, he was heavily into sports so had an automatic group of friends, but hubby and I were thinking this morning (many years later) about that move. If we had it to do over again I don't think we would have moved him at that late stage of high school. It can work, don't get me wrong, but it is a huge adjustment.. Nita

Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Are you sure you want to move you eldest for the last year of High School? Also are you prepared to live without any of your support system of family and friends?
Good points. I rarely hear of a junior or senior in high school having to move without deep resentment (and that's with a parent without an option). And please don't base your decision on the beautiful clear skies seen during the Rose Parade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California