Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 24,312 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a girl who is planning to move out to California next summer.

When I move I will be barely 19. I live in a small town near Baltimore, Maryland.

I absolutely hate the cold weather here. I'm looking for a city on the west coast that has warm weather almost all year round that is also safe and is livable without a car.

My rent limit is under 1,000.

I was looking at San Diego in the 92107 zip code but I've read that Ocean Beach isn't very safe.

I would consider LA but I'm a little worried about how dangerous that would be for me because I would be moving alone.

Also I would like to live near a grocery store, preferably an organic one or a farmers market, and some cool boho, retro, hippie shops like I hear they have in Ocean Beach, SD or Venice Blvd, LA except I have read that those are both sketchy areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Yeah, beach town under $1000. You might find somewhere with a roommate near the beach in your budget. It will be a few blocks away for sure.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj123 View Post
Hi,
I'm a girl who is planning to move out to California next summer.

When I move I will be barely 19. I live in a small town near Baltimore, Maryland.

I absolutely hate the cold weather here. I'm looking for a city on the west coast that has warm weather almost all year round that is also safe and is livable without a car.

My rent limit is under 1,000.

I was looking at San Diego in the 92107 zip code but I've read that Ocean Beach isn't very safe.

I would consider LA but I'm a little worried about how dangerous that would be for me because I would be moving alone.

Also I would like to live near a grocery store, preferably an organic one or a farmers market, and some cool boho, retro, hippie shops like I hear they have in Ocean Beach, SD or Venice Blvd, LA except I have read that those are both sketchy areas.

Thanks!
"My rent limit is under 1,000".

For under a $1000 a month you will be hard pressed to find any beach towns in California. You might want to consider the Colorado river beaches in Yuma or Bullhead City.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,181 times
You can easily find a room to rent for less than $1000 in any beach town... San Clemente is a good town to look into.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Even in San Diego, it can get pretty cold at night in winter. Florida is cheaper and closer to home. I'm not a big fan of that state, but if you really want warm and beach year round, southern FL comes to mind.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:45 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Even in San Diego, it can get pretty cold at night in winter. Florida is cheaper and closer to home. I'm not a big fan of that state, but if you really want warm and beach year round, southern FL comes to mind.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Well I think I can put up with anything warmer than 30 degrees in the winter and i've looked at weather.com and it says it stays around 40 degrees or higher in the winter. so i think i can deal with that. and i want to go to cali for the exact reason of being as far away as possible from home. i've looked at plenty of apartments in the area and there are lots for around 700 -900 for studios and really i'm only living there for about six months until i go into Americorps i just want to experience somthing really different and flordia has warmer weather but the humidity is crazy

Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
"My rent limit is under 1,000".

For under a $1000 a month you will be hard pressed to find any beach towns in California. You might want to consider the Colorado river beaches in Yuma or Bullhead City.
I don't know SoCal well but even in Santa Cruz county, which is extremely expensive, it's quite possible (albeit a challenge) to find ones own place for $1000.00 a month and sometimes for less.
I was recently in a studio on a few acres with gardens and a hot-tub that i could use and it was under $800.00 ... and all utilities were included.
Granted, the landlords easily could have charged more but there are opportunities.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 PM

i hear santa cruz is awesome really interesting unique people. are there any bad, not real safe parts of santa cruz. and San Clemente is it easy to get around without a car? i would like to just own a bike and be able to ride around everywhere

Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj123 View Post
i hear santa cruz is awesome really interesting unique people. are there any bad, not real safe parts of santa cruz. and San Clemente is it easy to get around without a car? i would like to just own a bike and be able to ride around everywhere
There is crime anywhere and everywhere.
There are many parts (most parts) of the county where you can feel safe.
And you don't need to limit yourself to Santa Cruz proper but rather, consider the entire county.
The last place i lived was in Soquel and we didn't even lock the doors at night although most people do and probably should.
The county is extremely bike friendly and the bus system is excellent and you can put your bike on the bus rack if / when you need to. They all have the racks.
Santa Cruz is on the northern part of the central coast on the "top" of the Monterey Bay and it's about 2 hours south of San Francisco.
The winters bring rain (it rains in California in the winter) but with many stretches of beautiful and relatively warm and sunny days in between the rains.
You'll never experience the east coast cold! nor its humidity.
It will be a bit cooler than Southern California in the winter.
Unless you're totally attached to Southern California, you might want to consider this part of the central coast ... a bit more (actually much more) sane than SoCal, imo, much less congested, generally safer (although i don't know stats) and it may be less of a cultural shock to you as an easterner.
S.C. county is open, tolerant, liberal, friendly, diverse and it's pretty darn easy to be a woman here as there tends to be a gentler male energy and there is absolutely no pressure to have the perfect body, etc.
It's also not an area where people care about the kind of car you drive, the house you live in or what you do for a living and how much money you make.

Santa Cruz County, California

Last edited by coyoteskye; 04-19-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California