Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM

53 posts, read 146,650 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I am relatively new to city-data. What I am noticing as I read posts and older ones using search function, is that alot of contributors seem to be well off and much of the relocation advice is geared toward the middle and upper classes, thereby ignoring half the population, and even more retirees. So often when I and others ask about where to find safe areas; affluent, well meaning folks give answers that assume the asker is just like them financially; this even tho I am pretty honest about my status as a retiree on strict budget, low income, etc. I would like to see this good forum have more balance in this respect.
natalie456
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 03:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Maybe that's because asking to live in a safe area in one of California's major cities means spending some dough.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Maybe that's because asking to live in a safe area in one of California's major cities means spending some dough.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 'EscapeCalifornia', those who worked in less affluent jobs, had medical expenses or economic reverses in the market, or other problems should expect to cower in ghettoes, is what I am taking from your response.
natalie456

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 'EscapeCalifornia', those who worked in less affluent jobs, had medical expenses or economic reverses in the market, or other problems should expect to cower in ghettoes, is what I am taking from your response.
natalie456
That or they

1) Put up with long commutes to less expensive but nicer areas
2) Live with family
3) Live with roommates, often several
4) Live in very small spaces to be in a safer area

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:

natalie456
There are degrees of safety. Beverly Hills safe will cost more than Laguna Beach safe which costs more than Irvine/Mission Viejo safe which costs more than Rancho Cucamonga safe which costs more than Temecula safe etc etc.

You find what you can afford and you make it work for you.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
I can relate with the OP's frustration. I don't really talk much about my future move to CA on here anymore for this reason. I know what I need to do and I am doing it to make it a reality this year. Constantly told I'm not educated enough or I'll end up living in the hood. As if California don't have a need for handymen
I know it's expensive, who don't know California is expensive? There's a place for everyone.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Hello.
I am relatively new to city-data. What I am noticing as I read posts and older ones using search function, is that alot of contributors seem to be well off and much of the relocation advice is geared toward the middle and upper classes, thereby ignoring half the population, and even more retirees. So often when I and others ask about where to find safe areas; affluent, well meaning folks give answers that assume the asker is just like them financially; this even tho I am pretty honest about my status as a retiree on strict budget, low income, etc. I would like to see this good forum have more balance in this respect.
natalie456

Actually, what you are implying isn't very common. Why? Because the first things a lot of us ask when someone posts "Where's the best place to live....?" is

What's your budget?
Where are you going to work?
Kids? Ages? Schools important?
Married? Spouse's job location?

and a bunch of other things to fine tune the request.

Finding a place to live is a process. If a person can't describe what they're doing as a process, then they don't know what they're doing.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:54 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Hello.
natalie456
The truth of the matter is that California is one of the most expensive states to live (Hawaii is probably more so).

So when someone wants the usual requirements of "affordable housing", safe, parks for the kids, great schools, diverse, nightlife, near jobs etc...well that means that you must be earning a very good salary.

There are many places in California that are affordable, but these areas would not be near to anything but dusty farmland. It's just the honest truth. If you plan to move into California w/o a lot saved and only living on a meager social security check, then just prepare yourself.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
The truth of the matter is that California is one of the most expensive states to live (Hawaii is probably more so).

So when someone wants the usual requirements of "affordable housing", safe, parks for the kids, great schools, diverse, nightlife, near jobs etc...well that means that you must be earning a very good salary.

There are many places in California that are affordable, but these areas would not be near to anything but dusty farmland. It's just the honest truth. If you plan to move into California w/o a lot saved and only living on a meager social security check, then just prepare yourself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, clongirl, I thank you for this honest info. I wish it weren't so, but it does agree with all of my research, and thus bolsters my opinion that going back to CA isn't the right move for me. One needs to know these things to keep out of trouble.
natalie456

Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, clongirl, I thank you for this honest info. I wish it weren't so, but it does agree with all of my research, and thus bolsters my opinion that going back to CA isn't the right move for me. One needs to know these things to keep out of trouble.
natalie456
Hi Natalie,

I hear your frustration. I think a big negative about California is that the most desirable areas are still outrageously expensive, and many of the more affordable areas are less safe. Of course, people go on about thing that make others laugh. Anything more than ten miles from the Coast has the climate of Phoenix, and any area which minorities is a ghetto. Of course, there is much more to the state than just the most world-famous locations.

The bubble went so far that it almost seemed like working stiffs had no place in the urban areas of California. Even though things have dropped a lot, they are still outrageous with respect to wages and general quality of life. I think the economy of California will begin to recover when people like yourself can afford a livable place in the state. How can all the state's property be taken up by the rich? California has just as many if not more lower and middle class workers as anywhere else, and unless housing prices match their wages, they must continue to fall. So, still not good, but things will likely get better.

I agree with Fontucky that there may be a bias on this board, because people ask about the "best places," which unfortunately are generally not affordable in California.

I have nothing against California and wish it the best, but I cannot see building a life there for my family in the near term, the numbers don't run. You can live in a much nicer, safer area elsewhere for a much affordable price. I know university professors in California are leaving because they cannot build a normal middle class life with their salaries. The notion that I should pay $400-500k for a home with a $60k salary doesn't fly. That said, I personally have no problem with the Central Valley, which has much better prices. Check out Chico (still too high, but coming down).

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 01-03-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California