Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 AM

152 posts, read 335,446 times

Advertisements

Of course there is a market for all levels, used cars to Bentley's and even in California housing is available at all price points. This is not a unique problem to CA or even to now. IN 1985 I paid 2400 a month for a one bedroom condo to rent in Manhattan it was not park avenue(madison). At the time that would of rented a large house in the Hamptons. All over the country people pay more to live in more desirable locations. But there are always alternative for those that need lower prices, and that usually does mean further out of town. More positive information could be provided to those that need lower income housing. I remember seeing A site that provided what was called middle income housing in one of the coastal counties(maybe Ventura), the cutoffs did seem high like maybe the 80' for a family of four. It was a county housing web site, the units were priced over 250,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
It's not a problem unique to California, but I do think it's worse in California than in many states.

"Town" is usually where the jobs are, and the other thing that has changed in recent years is that gas has become far more expensive; now the "drive until you can afford it" thing is also tougher advice because the costs of commuting are also greater, especially if the job itself is low-wage.

There are options like Section 8 and other programs for people with very low income, but the waiting lists are very long; the San Diego site said 5-8 years.

There are options out there, but I think it's also unfair to tell people that they can find something whatever their price point. They can, but it might not be within commuting distance of where they can find a job, or it might not match up with any of their stated wish list items.

I'm in full support of trying to provide quality information and useful suggestions for people who are looking for lower income housing, but at the same time some it's not much good to tell people that they'll find their dream place AND a dream location AND a price they can afford if they just look hard enough. Anyone considering relocating to most parts of California should know what they're up against, housing-cost speaking. Better to be prepared for the worst (or at least the norm) and hope for the best than to only plan for the best and then end up disillusioned, bitter, angry, and broke.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, I do have medical problems. I have a genetic disorder and the medication is $200,000+ a year. The company that makes my meds was recently in the news.... Genzyme. I have Gaucher's and I find the hospitals where I live are more than adequate.

I lived in a 4 bedroom house with 2 other roomates and we paid a total of $1300 a month in Atascadero. Had two rooms to myself for $650. That was when I was getting paid $14,400 a year while going to school and completely supporting myself.

I live in Los Osos, CA. Right near Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo. I make a little more than $35,000 a year. Not great, but in the next 2 years that will double.

Weird, because my fiancees parents are currently in escrow for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that they're buying for $215,000. Did a quick search for homes available in Paso Robles (40 minutes to the beach) and found 104 right off the bat for under $250,000. I'm definitely not an advocate for Paso, believe me...but it can be done.

I'm not saying that it absolutely can be done, but if you take your time, network and really learn about the area...it can be affordable.
You are giving exceptions to the rule, not the general rule. Of course it can be done, as well areas you are talking about, there are places like Barstow, Victorville and a few others, but basically living in Ca is one of the most expensive places in the country and the OP wanted to know if she should stay where she is on a small fixed income. I picked the figure of $30,000 out of the air, she may not even make that much.

You mention you make $35,000 a year and in the next 2 years that will double, certainly you are not in the same ballpark as seniors living on small retirements and or SS. What one can do as a young person is very different than what one does as a senior.

Nita

Old 01-05-2010, 10:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,962 times
There are cities inland which are safe and cheap.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
There are definitely cities inland that are cheap and safe, and some of them may even have jobs available. Those certainly should be mentioned as options more often. (although that still doesn't do anything for the people who want to move to CA because they want to live near the water, and the beach thing does seem to pop up on a fairly high percentage of relocation requests)

I was thinking about this a bit more, and also wanted to note that it's also understandable that many of the recommendations are geared towards the bigger cities because of simple demographics. Not just forum demographics, but California demographics. People aren't spread evenly across the state; they're concentrated in certain areas. People are going to be most familiar with the areas in which they live, plus maybe the areas where they go on vacation or visit friends or relatives.

It would be great if we had one of Alpine County's 1,222 residents on here giving the pros and cons of their county (and maybe they are on here; I don't follow the general CA forum as closely as the LA forum), or someone from Sierra County's 3,400 people, or more posters from Tehama County's 62,419 residents.

I did notice recently some very affordable trailer homes in Sonora. I've never been to Sonora, but it looks great on paper. There are options like that out there, but I don't think it's fair to accuse the majority of people on the forum of income-based bias for not mentioning it, because many of us simply don't live there and aren't familiar with those areas. Regional bias, maybe, but that's because most of us couldn't pack up and move to Sonora to take advantage of affordable real estate even if we wanted to. Retirees have more flexibility in that sense, at least.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM

8 posts, read 22,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
Hello.
I am relatively new to city-data. What I am noticing as I read posts and older ones using search function, is that alot of contributors seem to be well off and much of the relocation advice is geared toward the middle and upper classes, thereby ignoring half the population, and even more retirees. So often when I and others ask about where to find safe areas; affluent, well meaning folks give answers that assume the asker is just like them financially; this even tho I am pretty honest about my status as a retiree on strict budget, low income, etc. I would like to see this good forum have more balance in this respect.
natalie456
I second that!!! Where do older people living on social security like me live?? In Fl. lots of reasonable trailer parks, how about Calif. I know there's gots to be lots of people on Soc. Sec., disability ins., small retirement check, so where do all these people live?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 22,491 times
Ok people, help out a poor guy here. I live on a meager SS and VA disability check. Coming from an Army family I have moved around my entire life and am not real choosy, a small one-br trailer would suffice, a shack in the boonies to me would be wonderful. I'll be moving in an RV so already have a home, and have lived in both North and South Calif., only was in the 70's. Have been looking at Humboldt, Eureka, Chico, but also could go LA area. I need to leave before next spring. I am goin no matter what but would nice to have a little input from some of you guys who actually know. Dont care if i have to drive 20 miles to the store, i just stock up Please forgive me if i mess up on this forum but never did this before, just got my first puter in 11 yrs, mainly for this move. Thanks ya'll, Happy New Year!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac852 View Post
I second that!!! Where do older people living on social security like me live?? In Fl. lots of reasonable trailer parks, how about Calif. I know there's gots to be lots of people on Soc. Sec., disability ins., small retirement check, so where do all these people live?
Most receive Housing Assistance when they live in the metropolitan areas... the wait list can be years...

The truth is, Social Security is not enough in the Bay Area unless you also have a paid for home and some savings...

I know more than a few older couples that live together without the benefit of marriage... they receive more being single than if they were to marry...

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM

491 posts, read 1,262,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac852 View Post
Ok people, help out a poor guy here. I live on a meager SS and VA disability check. Coming from an Army family I have moved around my entire life and am not real choosy, a small one-br trailer would suffice, a shack in the boonies to me would be wonderful. I'll be moving in an RV so already have a home, and have lived in both North and South Calif., only was in the 70's. Have been looking at Humboldt, Eureka, Chico, but also could go LA area. I need to leave before next spring. I am goin no matter what but would nice to have a little input from some of you guys who actually know. Dont care if i have to drive 20 miles to the store, i just stock up Please forgive me if i mess up on this forum but never did this before, just got my first puter in 11 yrs, mainly for this move. Thanks ya'll, Happy New Year!!!
I actually do know. The cost of living here is a big deal. It's not just housing, it's utilities, groceries, gas for your car, fees, etc., etc. People who retire and have a paid-off home may have an incentive to stay after they retire, but I don't know why anyone on a "meager" fixed income would move here. I would think about it and research it more before you decide you are "goin no matter what".

Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I actually do know. The cost of living here is a big deal. It's not just housing, it's utilities, groceries, gas for your car, fees, etc., etc. People who retire and have a paid-off home may have an incentive to stay after they retire, but I don't know why anyone on a "meager" fixed income would move here. I would think about it and research it more before you decide you are "goin no matter what".
Some people just have to learn the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California