Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Realtor.com

Search Results for 3 bed, 3 bath home/condo up to $250,000

Redwood City, CA: 0 results
Anaheim, CA: 1 result
Petaluma, CA: 0 results
Santa Clarita, CA: 0 results
Oakland, CA: 6 results
Hayward, CA: 3 results
Oceanside, CA: 7 results
Los Angeles, CA: 36 results
San Francisco, CA: 0 results
San Diego, CA: 20 results

---

Las Vegas, NV: 6,339 results
Denver, CO: 402 results
Houston, TX: 654 results
Cleveland, OH: 570 results
Orlando, FL: 314 results
Atlanta, GA: 848 results

You are misleading people who want to live in a safe and nice area by saying, "oh you can get a 3 bedroom home for $1100 per month near the ocean".
I'm not saying you're lying, but for every 100,000 people who move to California, I bet only 1% to 5% will be able to find a similar deal.

I just mentioned Redwood City and there are currently no 3/3 houses or condos for less than $250,000, NOT EVEN ONE!
and many think $250,000 is just a normal price..Many parts of the country you can buy a 2000 plus sq ft home, in a top neighborhood for that kind of money. You have just said that. I agree, people have to realize what Ca property is selling for even now. My brother has a little 1000 or 1100 sq ft home in Simi Valley, typical 1950s home, 1 bath, not air. The only good thing, it is a corner lot and he is in the gardening business so his yard is beautiful. Other than that his house is really nothing and price: around $350,000, at least $300. It was upwards to about $450,000 a few years ago...I can imagine where this guy actually lives, maybe Crescent city or someplace far north...Either that or the house is a shack...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But you were going to school and that is a lot different. You can live on almost anything, but let's be real, living on say $30,000 or less in most of Ca isn't easy. If you have medical problems and need to be near hospitals, doctors etc it becomes even harder. If you are renting 3 bedrooms for $1100 a month, I wonder where you are living. I don't think anyone is trying to keep people from moving into their towns, most of us are just realistic.

Nita
Well, I do have medical problems. I have a genetic disorder and the medication is $200,000+ a year. The company that makes my meds was recently in the news.... Genzyme. I have Gaucher's and I find the hospitals where I live are more than adequate.

I lived in a 4 bedroom house with 2 other roomates and we paid a total of $1300 a month in Atascadero. Had two rooms to myself for $650. That was when I was getting paid $14,400 a year while going to school and completely supporting myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
Hey . . . don't be shy. Share with us where you can live near the coast for $30,000 a year income in CA.
I live in Los Osos, CA. Right near Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo. I make a little more than $35,000 a year. Not great, but in the next 2 years that will double.

Quote:
Realtor.com

Search Results for 3 bed, 3 bath home/condo up to $250,000

Redwood City, CA: 0 results
Anaheim, CA: 1 result
Petaluma, CA: 0 results
Santa Clarita, CA: 0 results
Oakland, CA: 6 results
Hayward, CA: 3 results
Oceanside, CA: 7 results
Los Angeles, CA: 36 results
San Francisco, CA: 0 results
San Diego, CA: 20 results

---

Las Vegas, NV: 6,339 results
Denver, CO: 402 results
Houston, TX: 654 results
Cleveland, OH: 570 results
Orlando, FL: 314 results
Atlanta, GA: 848 results

You are misleading people who want to live in a safe and nice area by saying, "oh you can get a 3 bedroom home for $1100 per month near the ocean".
I'm not saying you're lying, but for every 100,000 people who move to California, I bet only 1% to 5% will be able to find a similar deal.

I just mentioned Redwood City and there are currently no 3/3 houses or condos for less than $250,000, NOT EVEN ONE!
Weird, because my fiancees parents are currently in escrow for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that they're buying for $215,000. Did a quick search for homes available in Paso Robles (40 minutes to the beach) and found 104 right off the bat for under $250,000. I'm definitely not an advocate for Paso, believe me...but it can be done.

I'm not saying that it absolutely can be done, but if you take your time, network and really learn about the area...it can be affordable.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Uptown_urbanist how many threads are there in OC that respond "live anywhere but Santa Ana"...without even questioning the OP what they might be looking for? I have seen it far too much on this forum.

Over time here on CD I have noticed it is the same list of approved towns recommended over and over by the same people. The OP is right, there is very low representation from even the middle class (or the realistic) here on CD.

We definitely need more grounded and less disgruntled people here handing out advice as well. Anyone who would take advice on moving TO California from a guy with the pseudonym "EscapeCalifornia" needs a Cat Scan.
Agreed. I usually don't get involved in threads like these because apparently moving to California means LA area or Bay Area ONLY for some of the responders. They don't think to recommend places that aren't quite Barstow but aren't quite San Diego. There are decently affordable places out there (this is still California, after all) but they simply aren't as glamorous.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,384,617 times
There are 6 results for Paso Robles for 3/3 up to $250,000.

Paso Robles real estate & Paso Robles homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops,3 Bedrooms - REALTOR.com®

My point is many of the "moving to California" threads are unrealistic and it's important for them to understand that, instead of thinking "oh they are just trying to crush my dreams!" Not all threads, but many.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
There are 6 results for Paso Robles for 3/3 up to $250,000.

Paso Robles real estate & Paso Robles homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops,3 Bedrooms - REALTOR.com®

My point is many of the "moving to California" threads are unrealistic and it's important for them to understand that, instead of thinking "oh they are just trying to crush my dreams!" Not all threads, but many.
The 3 bath is probably the sticking point...

I've been in some very nice older homes in great neighborhood... 2500 to 3000 square feet with great views... they are all 2 full bath and a half bath...

Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times
My experience has been that the "affordable" areas usually have a bad economy/no jobs. This thread actually has been interesting to me in that I have often wondered what it would be like for someone to come to CA who doesn't have to worry about finding employment, but it doesn't sound like their options are much better unless they are enjoying a comfortable retirement/pension.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,992,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
My experience has been that the "affordable" areas usually have a bad economy/no jobs. This thread actually has been interesting to me in that I have often wondered what it would be like for someone to come to CA who doesn't have to worry about finding employment, but it doesn't sound like their options are much better unless they are enjoying a comfortable retirement/pension.
Exactly, I don't pretend to know anything about the Inland Valleys, or even Southern California...BUT, the jobs tend to be centered around San Francisco/Bay Area/San Jose, L.A./ San Diego/ or Sacramento.

When I think Paso Robles..I think red wine..that normally means not much work (unless you're okay with minimum wage or far worse). These small towns in the middle of farmland tend to attract..farm workers..not that this is bad, but these towns won't have much to them by way of the usual requirements for out of staters looking for sun, surf and a grand laid back lifestyle.

Even a close family member of mine is living in "affordable" West Sacramento. He is totally underwater over the whole property bubble, stopped paying the mortgage just to get their attention (after shelling out thousands on a lawyer), and the petty theft/crime is beginning to seep into one of those "affordable" track housing estates that popped up over night in the middle of nowhere on a flood plain (extra insurance now required).

Rents are very low now (which in turn means the quality/safety of the area goes down). He hates it. Just 'cause something seems affordable, doesn't mean you will live a grand California life.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I've been in some very nice older homes in great neighborhood... 2500 to 3000 square feet with great views... they are all 2 full bath and a half bath...
Yep. I see quite a few 3/2, or even 3/1 for sale. I've lived in a 3/1 for a long time, and even when I lived with my parents we had a 5/2 and were perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Exactly, I don't pretend to know anything about the Inland Valleys, or even Southern California...BUT, the jobs tend to be centered around San Francisco/Bay Area/San Jose, L.A./ San Diego/ or Sacramento.

When I think Paso Robles..I think red wine..that normally means not much work (unless you're okay with minimum wage or far worse). These small towns in the middle of farmland tend to attract..farm workers..not that this is bad, but these towns won't have much to them by way of the usual requirements for out of staters looking for sun, surf and a grand laid back lifestyle.

Even a close family member of mine is living in "affordable" West Sacramento. He is totally underwater over the whole property bubble, stopped paying the mortgage just to get their attention (after shelling out thousands on a lawyer), and the petty theft/crime is beginning to seep into one of those "affordable" track housing estates that popped up over night in the middle of nowhere on a flood plain (extra insurance now required).

Rents are very low now (which in turn means the quality/safety of the area goes down). He hates it. Just 'cause something seems affordable, doesn't mean you will live a grand California life.
Regarding Paso, that depends. My cousin works for wineries and he gets at least 65k a year, and he started from the bottom working the crushes without a high school diploma. He works hard and it shows. There are also quite a few companies that are based in SLO county, but they don't often advertise positions. I got my job through networking, so did my best friend and boyfriend. None of our positions were advertised, and we get paid fairly decently for our age. It is a small area and you do have to know someone. I think it's a very trade oriented environment as well, because my father (who is a very well known auto mechanic in the area) gets job offers constantly and is getting paid VERY well. Cushy office jobs? Not many of those, sorry.

I worked a part time job in a wine tasting room in Templeton for $15 an hour... not bad for a part time job.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Most existing homes are 3/1 or 3/2. The 3/3 is a fairly recent phenomenon, I think.

Now, I will definitely say 2 bathrooms are pretty essential when two parents work and kids are involved. Things get a bit uncomfortable in the morning when wife is in the midst of cutting edge facial art and husband has had two cups of coffee and a bran muffin!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed. I usually don't get involved in threads like these because apparently moving to California means LA area or Bay Area ONLY for some of the responders. They don't think to recommend places that aren't quite Barstow but aren't quite San Diego. There are decently affordable places out there (this is still California, after all) but they simply aren't as glamorous.
I don't think that's going to change unless the people posing the initial questions are more willing to also consider other areas.

Those reasonably affordable places also need to have jobs (for those who aren't coming as retirees), although admittedly these days the big cities aren't exactly overflowing with job opportunities, either. That's another truth that people don't want to hear, at least not over on the LA forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California