Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,945,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Just looking at the numbers and posts on the Sonora page indicates that this town may not be that great. Extremely high crime rate, more than double the national average. Could be that the reasons for a number of affordable mobiles for sale is that the owners are tired of being broken into and their parks filled with dopers. Sorry, it was a good thought, but often small towns that look good at first glance have problems like this that turn up when you do a little digging. Research, research.
sonora? the little gold country town? I have been there never ever saw crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 29,071 times
I am from Australia, we are a moderate income family, and i have to say California is really cheap in comparison, Rent is the same though, the only downfall is health insurance, my DH doesnt have it through his job so its expensive, but the level of care is much better here.
We are in Redlands, iveheard alot of people call it 'getto', but we are in a decent area, have had no problems so far!
we are doing alot better here than we were in OZ thats for sure.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
To give you an idea, for the purposes of qualifying for below market rate rental housing in Santa Clara county, you are considered to have "very low income" if you have a family of four and make $53,050 a year. In many parts of the country you could live like a king on that kind of salary. In San Jose, it qualifies you for public housing programs.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM

139 posts, read 530,561 times
I have been thinking about a move to California, but these posts are causing me to reconsider. I am on a limited income, but thought it might work because I would prefer a more remote place, perhaps east or north of Chico. I am trying to get away from intense heat without going too high, and in many parts of the west that is difficult.
Does anyone have experience with these areas,or with towns, such as Paradise, Quincy, or Chester?
I have noticed the water bills in some places are high.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:05 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
There are plenty of poor people living in California, so obviously it's possible. They don't all live in crime-filled ghettos, but if not then they have to make other accommodations, such as living with multiple housemates/family members, and/or living in smaller dwellings than they might afford elsewhere in the country.

I assure you that even most of us who are "well off" by national standards live in much crappier housing situations and/or pay much more for housing than we would have to put up with elsewhere.

If the $150k earners in Silicon Valley are occupying what would elsewhere be considered blue-collar or lower-middle class housing, then what does that leave for the $50k earners? Well, for a few years they could get funny-money loans and pretend that they were lower-middle class, but it seems that story doesn't have a happy ending.

Truth is, $50k affords you a one-bedroom rental apartment and not much else. If I were retired on a fixed income, I would look at almost any of the other 49 states, because the parts of California that I would be able to afford would be quite bad compared with the alternatives elsewhere.
That's one thing I notice whenever I'm seeing friends down in the LA area, lots of room-sharing/room-mating going on.

As nice and convenient as that area obviously is, I'm safe for now just working and living with folks up here in the desert, in spite of how bland it really is up here(only other rec-activity is off-roading, but not all of us have the money for quad+trailer+pickup truck).

Being that I don't have to commute a long distance, money saving is relatively easy.
But, with the cheap rent/mortgages that one would pay in a "cheap" area like the Victor Valley, they'll end up spending the same amount of money on car-related woes.
Fuel, repair bills, and also the threat of a mountain pass being closed due to a single speck of snow hitting the pavement.

So, for the OP, there are affordable areas within this state, but most of them are a little too far from all the cool things that are normally spoken of on the outside.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,336,401 times
Default No One Drop Is Responsible For The Flood

I wish someone would just come right out and say it:

YOU AREN'T WELCOME HERE.

PLEASE DON'T COME

WE DON'T WANT OR NEED THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD.

I know California has this image of being the land of milk and honey, tasty fish tacos, and an openness to folks of all political and moral persuasions.

None of that applies here.

The fact of the matter is: We don't have the room nor the resources to support an additional million people a year indefinitely. We don't. I don't mean actual, physical open land. There's plenty of that. It's just that everyone wants to cluster around a small number of cities. And therein lies the issue: More and more people fighting for the same "elbow" room, space on the freeways, another kid in the classroom, and so forth. Individually, these aren't significant in and of themselves, but collectively, when applied to every person who comes here, it puts that much more of a strain on everyone else.

Which leads me to my other point: there is only so much water and electricity to go around. Much of CA is by nature, desert. Rainfall generally isn't much and most of the lakes and rivers are either dried up, dessicated, or otherwise allocated drop for drop. Don't forget about all that farming. Everyone's gotta eat. Right?

No wonder water rationing is so tight. It isn't that there's a shortage per se, it's just that there isn't enough to go around for everyone who wants some.

Take a glass of water. Have one straw in it. It lasts fine. One person can sip it at their leisure. How much water do you think each person is going to get if there are 50 straws in it? That's more or less where we're at.

CA is far beyond its carrying capacity when all of those things are taken into consideration.

I've been here 36 years.

THIRTY SIX years. I'd say that puts me well above the "seniority" date ahead of the anchor babies, Korean gas station owners, and the Pootywinkle family from Akron, OH.

How long have YOU been here?

So I'll say it again as a born and raised Californian well into my 4th decade, let me just say to all of who who are thinking about coming here:

Go somewhere else.

Please?

Or stay put.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,073,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie456 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 'EscapeCalifornia', those who worked in less affluent jobs, had medical expenses or economic reverses in the market, or other problems should expect to cower in ghettoes, is what I am taking from your response.
natalie456
I am really not sure what you mean-the past 'threads' on the forum are direct answers to people's requests;if these people state their income and desires,then this is what people will give them for answers.

And if people are say,single and twenty and want a beach community,people answer that,as well.

Myself,we rent,have two 17 yr old cars,my husband's a CA native,have children,etc. and yet I still provide answers based on the OP's stated needs/wants/desires.

If you have specific questions for your situation,fire away. I am sure people will respond accordingly.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I wish someone would just come right out and say it:

YOU AREN'T WELCOME HERE.

PLEASE DON'T COME

WE DON'T WANT OR NEED THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD.

I know California has this image of being the land of milk and honey, tasty fish tacos, and an openness to folks of all political and moral persuasions.

None of that applies here.

The fact of the matter is: We don't have the room nor the resources to support an additional million people a year indefinitely. We don't. I don't mean actual, physical open land. There's plenty of that. It's just that everyone wants to cluster around a small number of cities. And therein lies the issue: More and more people fighting for the same "elbow" room, space on the freeways, another kid in the classroom, and so forth. Individually, these aren't significant in and of themselves, but collectively, when applied to every person who comes here, it puts that much more of a strain on everyone else.

Which leads me to my other point: there is only so much water and electricity to go around. Much of CA is by nature, desert. Rainfall generally isn't much and most of the lakes and rivers are either dried up, dessicated, or otherwise allocated drop for drop. Don't forget about all that farming. Everyone's gotta eat. Right?

No wonder water rationing is so tight. It isn't that there's a shortage per se, it's just that there isn't enough to go around for everyone who wants some.

Take a glass of water. Have one straw in it. It lasts fine. One person can sip it at their leisure. How much water do you think each person is going to get if there are 50 straws in it? That's more or less where we're at.

CA is far beyond its carrying capacity when all of those things are taken into consideration.

I've been here 36 years.

THIRTY SIX years. I'd say that puts me well above the "seniority" date ahead of the anchor babies, Korean gas station owners, and the Pootywinkle family from Akron, OH.

How long have YOU been here?

So I'll say it again as a born and raised Californian well into my 4th decade, let me just say to all of who who are thinking about coming here:

Go somewhere else.

Please?

Or stay put.
And you know what? That is one of the redeeming qualities about CA-I am always amazed at other states 'blaming' CA for problems b/c 'californians move there in droves',and yet I never hear CA say one word against others coming. CA has been gracious [including to myself,my husband is a native],and at this point,there are so many non-natives,that really,they cannot be hypocritical and say 'don't come',right?

I actually wish other states would stop saying 'californians' this and that,and blaming CA for their state's problem,or even the whole nations problems!!!!! It's insane,b/c I have NEVER seen anyone say 'well,gee,actually,CA has seen a constant influx of folks from other states,so in all fairness,we cannot really blame CA'.

And,So Cal gets it's water from the colorado river-LA is bad enough,but by the time it gets to SD,it's horrible,the bottom of the barrel in quality-harsh water,and not enough for the long-term.
SD was looking into converting ocean water,decades ago,and the system would have been much cheaper to implement at that time-now,it will cost far too much. Remains to be seen where this will go...

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
I have been thinking about a move to California, but these posts are causing me to reconsider. I am on a limited income, but thought it might work because I would prefer a more remote place, perhaps east or north of Chico. I am trying to get away from intense heat without going too high, and in many parts of the west that is difficult.
Does anyone have experience with these areas,or with towns, such as Paradise, Quincy, or Chester?
I have noticed the water bills in some places are high.
Depends on what your limited income is...the areas you mentinoed have experienced their own boom,in the last 15 yrs-retirees,etc. The further east you go from chico,the cheaper,of course. grassy valley has become very pricey,but that doesn't mean you could not afford a rental there,or in any of the areas you mentioned. I wouldn't rule it out-depends on your budge,and you should post a thread for those areas specifically and get feedback on your situation.
ps-you could also check out mt. shasta and surrounds. [dunsmuir,weed,mccloud,mt shasta city,etc.]

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I agree. We are still in shock over our sewer and water bill. About $150 bimonthly when we were used to paying $50-$60 elsewhere. Property taxes are double what we paid elsewhere for larger homes. Lets not forget the 8.75% sales tax either. Florida has to be cheaper for retirees.
well,i have lived in or,co,mt,ma,and CA. I do not find all the costs,beyond housing,much higher in CA than the other states mentioned. seriously-auto insurance is higher in co than in either SFO or SD. And food costs in CA are cheaper or at least on par with these places. gas is slightly higher,and if you are talking about real estate,as i said,this is much higher,along with water/sewer [we rent at this is covered by the owners]....Aside from housing,CA is on par. If you look at any of the cost of living comparison indexes,you'll find SD at maybe 133%,portland oregon around 115-120% above the national average,for examples. and then you have to look at which of the stated costs affects you-ie,if you dont own a home,or if you have full health care coverage with an employer and do not pay out of pocket,than the difference may be a wash.

Each individual situation is different,and should be compared as such,IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California