Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 20,477 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to the Northern California area. I would be working at Whole Foods Market.

We have a toddler and are expecting another child in the late summer, so safe areas and good schools are a plus.

We would like to rent an apartment 1-2 bedrooms with a garage for around $1000/month

What areas would you guys suggest that we look at? Please remember that it needs to be near a Whole Foods....

We have looked at Santa Rosa a little bit, but are concerned at the crime in the areas we can afford....we used to live near Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, so we aren't scared of a little roughness in an area...is Santa Rosa really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM

322 posts, read 779,228 times
Roseville is nice and has a Whole Foods.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy chan View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to the Northern California area. I would be working at Whole Foods Market.

We have a toddler and are expecting another child in the late summer, so safe areas and good schools are a plus.

We would like to rent an apartment 1-2 bedrooms with a garage for around $1000/month

What areas would you guys suggest that we look at? Please remember that it needs to be near a Whole Foods....

We have looked at Santa Rosa a little bit, but are concerned at the crime in the areas we can afford....we used to live near Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, so we aren't scared of a little roughness in an area...is Santa Rosa really that bad?
Santa Cruz county just got 2 of them in the last year ... one in Santa Cruz and one in Capitola.
S.C. county is a great place to be but finding a 2 bedroom and with a garage for $1000 will be a real challenge ... almost next to impossible ... unless you want to live in Watsonville but there are many places there where you would not want to reside ... but there are some fine parts as well.
Here's S.C. craigslist to give you an idea of rental prices ... options will increase in the spring most likely.
santa cruz co apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
And anything that looks too good to be true (way under the average rental price) is probably spam and it will be flagged as such soon.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:20 AM

i looked at santa cruz's craigslist and the rental prices are probably too much....

i'll have to look at roseville...thanks!

any other cheaper towns??

oh and what can you guys tell me about HIDDEN VALLEY LAKE?? it's some development north of Napa (there's a whole foods in napa)...i was just wondering if there's anything i should know about that area because they have tons of cheap rentals and the places are super nice...i did search a little bit on here about it and it looks like the development is ok because it's gated, but the rest of he county (lake county) is pretty "shady" is some people's opinions...i was also wondering if there are any stores in that area, or would i have to drive to napa/santa rosa to do any form of normal shopping

Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Try Eureka, Humboldt county. I believe there is a Whole Foods in Eureka and rents are much lower than the rest of the state. One of my clients rents out his 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a 2 car garage for $1200 a month. Apartments are even lower. Eureka is also adjacent to the coast.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM

322 posts, read 779,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Try Eureka, Humboldt county. I believe there is a Whole Foods in Eureka and rents are much lower than the rest of the state. One of my clients rents out his 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a 2 car garage for $1200 a month. Apartments are even lower. Eureka is also adjacent to the coast.
When was the last time you looked? I looked on Craigslist for Eureka and Arcata and the rentals were high. I saw on a tv show about how medical marijuana has caused the rentals to go up there because people are coming in to that area and growing. They get a house and change it into a growing business; ruining it with mold and chemicals in the process. Neighbors can smell it a mile away. If you aren't marijuana friendly, I wouldn't suggest this area. The whole economy relies on it.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM

344 posts, read 551,241 times
Last time I was in Eureka (2005) there was no Whole Foods, nor a need for one. There was a good independent natural foods store and a co-op that had a larger building under construction. I saw it as a plus that WF wasn't there, prices at both were reasonable.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
Last time I was in Eureka (2005) there was no Whole Foods, nor a need for one. There was a good independent natural foods store and a co-op that had a larger building under construction. I saw it as a plus that WF wasn't there, prices at both were reasonable.
Santa Cruz county has (had) ten good health food stores and Whole Foods came in any way ... two of them. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Off topic i realize ... so i'll atone for that and provide this Whole Foods locator map.

Whole Foods Market Locations by Map - A Free Guide

Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM

35 posts, read 339,316 times
am searching myself for a great relocation spot in N. Calif, and keep returning to Hidden Valley Lake...the prices are surreal...so affordable , I wonder why, but I don't seem to get any answers..I know that there is a Hardesters market in Middletown, near Hidden Valley lake and that they supposedly have all natrual food, but Middletown is more expensive than Hidden Valley Lake and Hardesters is not the grocery store you were interested in !

Old 01-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2migrate View Post
am searching myself for a great relocation spot in N. Calif, and keep returning to Hidden Valley Lake...the prices are surreal...so affordable , I wonder why, but I don't seem to get any answers..I know that there is a Hardesters market in Middletown, near Hidden Valley lake and that they supposedly have all natrual food, but Middletown is more expensive than Hidden Valley Lake and Hardesters is not the grocery store you were interested in !
i think it is so cheap because Lake County (the county it's in) is rural and kinda poor and i guess a lot of meth is made in that county....

but i looked up crime stats on the county versus hidden valley lake and i think that hidden valley lake is low on crime because it is gated...i think it's a strong possibility for us if i work in napa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California