Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 25,746 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 year old female from the small town of Oak Ridge, TN. I'm ready to leave everything I know and move to California. I have visited California several times and I love it. I have some family in the Orange County Area. I love Anaheim, or Hunington Beach. I'm needing advice on where the best areas for young people to live are. I don't come from money, and I know it's expensive. I will work the details out later. However if you were in your early 20s and wanted to live in California, where would it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 PM

103 posts, read 301,269 times
I'm 22, from Boston originally. I love Arcata but don't know how it's feasible to find work up there. I'll have a BA in Social Sciences but that seems fairly useless. One of my friends from college dreams of moving to San Francisco but it's so expensive. I didn't like the Bay Area at all myself.

I haven't been to southern California so I couldn't comment. I have several friends from college from LA/Orange County but all of them are very wealthy.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Yea... it seems like you got to have money to live in Cali. I'm extremely interested in the Hunington Beach area... I have some family there... but they are siblings of my grandmother so I'm not sure how much help they would be. Anaheim/Hunington Beach just gives me that laid back surfer vibe and I love it. I just want to make a big life change... I don't care if I'm working at a McDonalds... I want to move there. As long as I got a roof over my head and a job I'm set. I'm not too picky.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 PM

103 posts, read 301,269 times
I definitely understand the need to make a huge life change! I'm stalling out here in New England. I need to be a bit more picky because I have some college loans to pay off and no savings. I'm sure though that if you really want to move there you could make it happen. One of my cousins moved to San Diego without knowing anyone out there. She worked as a waitress for awhile and now works for some sort of nonprofit doing social work. She's doing quite well as she loves what she does for work, made great friends, loves where she lives, and paid off her student loans and has enough money to go on vacation and visit home a few times a year.

Last edited by Niandra; 02-13-2010 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Where would I live? Wherever I could find a job. The job market is really bad in California right now (worse than in most other states), so it's tough to be too picky.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
If you want to work at McDonald's, count on having lots of roommates.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S. View Post
Yea... it seems like you got to have money to live in Cali. I'm extremely interested in the Hunington Beach area... I have some family there... but they are siblings of my grandmother so I'm not sure how much help they would be. Anaheim/Hunington Beach just gives me that laid back surfer vibe and I love it. I just want to make a big life change... I don't care if I'm working at a McDonalds... I want to move there. As long as I got a roof over my head and a job I'm set. I'm not too picky.
even getting a job at McDonalds isn't easy right now and maybe you don't care where you work, but you could not support yourself in OC on what you would make working at a fast food restaurant. I might add, Huntington Beach may give you the surfer vibe, but there is a lot more to So California than being a young surfer... So you have relatives in Anaheim, they are siblings of your grandmother, I would agree they may not be much help to you, that is a pretty distant relative unless you are a really close knit family.

Nita

Old 02-14-2010, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niandra View Post
I'm 22, from Boston originally. I love Arcata but don't know how it's feasible to find work up there. I'll have a BA in Social Sciences but that seems fairly useless. One of my friends from college dreams of moving to San Francisco but it's so expensive. I didn't like the Bay Area at all myself.

I haven't been to southern California so I couldn't comment. I have several friends from college from LA/Orange County but all of them are very wealthy.
I am sure you know this already, but you might be wise to get your masters before making any huge move. I don't think there is too much you can do with a bA in Social sceince. Good luck, get the masters, than think about re-location to the Aacata area. The area should have a need for social workers or peole in the socail Scienve field.

Nita

Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM

I try to be a positive upbeat person. If you seriously think I'm serious about working fast- food, well... enough said. I was just trying to make a point that I don't care what I do. I am NOT picky. I have been to SO Cal plenty of times. I have explored the OC. I am close with my family, and I have lots of cousins my age out there, however they are all off doing their own thing, like I am trying to do. I don't need advice on how to live my life, or what I need to do before I want to move. I am a free spirit. I hiked the Appalachian Trail and slept in shacks and the ground wearing the same clothes for weeks. I have back packed overseas and stayed in hostels. All I'm looking for is a good area for young people to live, and I can handle the rest. I appreciate all your comments and advice, but lets get back to the question at hand.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S. View Post
I have explored the OC.
Violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California