Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM

8 posts, read 60,457 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Ive been researching different towns near Lemoore. One of my sons and I have asthma and it seems as if this could be a bad area for us. Any ideas on where we should buy a home? What is life like in these areas? We have lived in VA, WA and TX. Are there decent job opportunities ( Human Resources field)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Speak to your doctor about anything you may need to alter for your asthma. That is still part of the Central Valley which can get some really bad air quality. Be advised also of Valley Fever which symptoms can emulate influenza and as it's an upper respiratory ailment that not all doctors out of the area are familiar with.

This link will provide more information Valley Fever Vaccine Project of the Americas (http://www.valleyfever.com/whatis.htm - broken link)

Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,166 times
We spent 40+ years in the Valley, just left 3 years ago. The hubby and 3 of our 4 kids all have asthma (2 chronic and 2 'seasonal') The air quality can be VERY problematic for people with respiratory problems!!

BUT there is an upside... since respiratory ailments are so prevalent there, almost any Doctor you choose will be well trained on how to deal with it. Most of the hospitals in that area are very quick and efficient when dealing with Acute episodes. (From our experience anyway )

You may have to treat your asthma more aggressively than you are used to, but if you stay on your toes you will be O.K. (We *survived* after all. )

I'll leave the specifics of helping you find housing to those that are still 'local' ... My info would be a bit out-dated.

- Just another Navy Mom

Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
I was stationed in Huron as a firefighter in the '70's. You should avoid it like the plague. We had a giant dust storm one day and I ended up getting Valley Fever, apparently the spores (?) that cause it live in the western valley hills. Farther away from the west hills area you are the less you may be affected.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Hanford is a nice little town. You won't escape the bad air anywhere you choose around Lemoore, though.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM

236 posts, read 442,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khill View Post
Hi all,
Ive been researching different towns near Lemoore. One of my sons and I have asthma and it seems as if this could be a bad area for us. Any ideas on where we should buy a home? What is life like in these areas? We have lived in VA, WA and TX. Are there decent job opportunities ( Human Resources field)?

How far are you willing to commute?? You might check into areas just East of Visalia. Three Rivers borders the Sequoia National Forest and is approx. 30-35 minutes to Hanford/Lemmore area. Visalia has grown so much over the years and has great job opportunities. I would recommend check into the Three Rivers area though. Better air quality and still close enough that you don't have to commute very far. I commute 40 min. each way to work everyday and it is not bad. I don't live in that area now but I did live around that area for approx. 12 years.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM

236 posts, read 442,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I was stationed in Huron as a firefighter in the '70's. You should avoid it like the plague. We had a giant dust storm one day and I ended up getting Valley Fever, apparently the spores (?) that cause it live in the western valley hills. Farther away from the west hills area you are the less you may be affected.

Anywhere you live in the San Joaquin Valley you will be exposed to Valley Fever. I came down with it last year not fun. But anyone who lives in the Valley knows to take extra precaution when it is windy. I have lived in the Valley all my life and just came down with it but there were other contributing factors of why I ended up with it. Just one of those bad things associated with the San Joaquin Valley. The other up and coming thing is West Nile. UGGG!! But that is not for this thread.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 AM

15 posts, read 92,263 times
"Hanford is a nice little town"....LMFAO!!!!

Sorry to hear you got stationed at LNAS.....Good news?...Your next PCS move!!!!

Spent to much of my life there;the south Valley sucks....

Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
If he/she HAS to live near NAS Lemoore, can you think of a better place than Hanford?! Its all relative!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM

84 posts, read 293,233 times
Default Where do we live??...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khill View Post
Hi all,

We live in sh*tsville to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California