Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Tell me about it. 66.50 of rain a year?!?!? Seriously, that's more than almost any east coast city and exceptionally more than Seattle which get's 37 inches.
Surprisingly, Brookings, Oregon, about 25 minutes north, gets roughly 10 more inches per year of rain.

Fairly cool summers, but virtually no snow or frost to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahAHins View Post
I'm from North Dakota and want to move to sunny California haha. I'm 21 and would like to learn how to surf, be able to longboard, go to parks, volunteer at animal shelters and such. Wouldn't mind a little night life or be able to drive there. I'd like to live somewhere around Eureka maybe? No further south than Sacremento anyway and near the coast. If I have to live inland and drive a few hours that's ok I guess. I'd rather have the cheaper rent. I'm hoping to get something around $800 a month. I don't want to end up in a small town with nothing to do but I don't want a big city high crime. My boyfriend works at an Olive Garden so he can just transfer and I work with the mentally disabled so they can transfer me to a company that does the same services. Does this place exisit?
I always wondered what other people's conception geographically, weather wise, culturally was of California. If this is any indication, no offense, this person doesn't have a damn clue.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Surprisingly, Brookings, Oregon, about 25 minutes north, gets roughly 10 more inches per year of rain.

Fairly cool summers, but virtually no snow or frost to deal with.
It's really a trade off isn't it? So that place get's rain amounts measuring in the mid 70 inch range??? Damn! I love rain by my god LOL

Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 PM

21 posts, read 62,327 times
Wink Humboldt is a hot surf spot with very few crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing60 View Post
I don't think you have done your homework very well. Eureka is in the very very northern part of CA. You are not going to learn to surf there - water is much too cold. You say your boyfriend could "just transfer" but you have not looked to see if there is an Olive Garden in Eureka or the surrounding area. By the way, there is not one.

As far as Eureka is concerned it is not Sunny California. Their weather is much more like Oregon's weather - very wet and cold. Eureka is a small town but believe me there is not much to do there and it is not close to a larger town. It is about 3 hours to Redding and 4 hours to Santa Rosa.

You say you don't want to for further south than Sacramento and near the coast. Sacto is not near the coast. Small coastal town for surfing would be Santa Cruz. But again, no Olive Garden. You might be able to find a cheap rental up in the mountain towns there - not sure about Santa Cruz proper.
Wow this guy is WAY OFF the mark. The original founder of the Surf Riders Foundation lives here. He still surfs as do many other people. And yes the water is colder but they invented a thing called wetsuits for that. The one thing I can tell you is your not going to fight for waves here and your not going to have to deal with "Local Only" punks. Everyone here is very laid back. Our weather here in Humboldt is a lot drier than much of Oregon. It does rain, and that makes everything green all the time. Fern Canyon is beautiful as a result. Lots and lots to do here. Mostly local entertainment and very few chain restaurants so your left with locals cooking good food not fast/precooked food. We do have so chain places but they are popular with the older crowd who prefer 'institution' type food. Most of the things going on here are outdoors. Surfing, fishing, hiking, camping, mushrooming, beach combing, backpacking and more. Lots of locally produced goods and food. Your going to pay a lot more south of here but if your looking for an Olive Garden you will find down there!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM

99 posts, read 380,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone_girl View Post
Wow this guy is WAY OFF the mark. The original founder of the Surf Riders Foundation lives here. He still surfs as do many other people. And yes the water is colder but they invented a thing called wetsuits for that. The one thing I can tell you is your not going to fight for waves here and your not going to have to deal with "Local Only" punks. Everyone here is very laid back. Our weather here in Humboldt is a lot drier than much of Oregon. It does rain, and that makes everything green all the time. Fern Canyon is beautiful as a result. Lots and lots to do here. Mostly local entertainment and very few chain restaurants so your left with locals cooking good food not fast/precooked food. We do have so chain places but they are popular with the older crowd who prefer 'institution' type food. Most of the things going on here are outdoors. Surfing, fishing, hiking, camping, mushrooming, beach combing, backpacking and more. Lots of locally produced goods and food. Your going to pay a lot more south of here but if your looking for an Olive Garden you will find down there!
Don't think I'm that far off the mark! "My boyfriend works at Olive Garden so he can just transfer". Did they do any research at all? There is no Olive Garden in Eureka. The closest one is 172 miles from Eureka so I doubt the boyfriend is going to be able to "just transfer".

They are also looking for "Sunny California". Yes, it is true that everyone thinks the Eureka area is rainy all the time and gets no sunshine. I will agree that it does have some wonderful sunny days. But you know as well as I do that when someone says they are looking for "Sunny California" what they are looking for is what they have seen on TV that is generally from southern CA.
They want the sunny weather all year round - after all it never rains in California! They want the spread out beaches they have seen on TV where everyone is walking around in their bikinis with not a care in the world. Sure they surf in Eureka but again my take on the original posting is that they don't necessarily want to have to wear wetsuits as they are looking for the ideal CA.

And yes there are certainly things to do in Eureka but again from the sounds of the original posting they were looking to be fairly close to a large city where there was some action going on. Eureka is not that close to any large city.

I stand by what I said in that they need to do some homework about California.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
The ocean water temp in San Diego is much warmer then it is in Eureka or any of northern CA. I used to surf fish along the coast. Caught&Released lots of fish using Pile worms fer bait...

kept a few.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
ac2

3 posts, read 5,540 times
Eureka is horrible. There is no summer at all. Our summer is maybe 3 hours of sun at a whopping 65 degrees. It is beautiful here, but there is nothing to do at night except go to the one movie theater, or one nice bar. It is full of druggies and drug dealers and has a very high crime rate. There are very few legal jobs and they are mostly centered around services or arresting drug addicts and dealers. The Eureka subburbs are full of famlies growing and selling pot, and downtown Eureka is full of people making, doing, and selling methamphetamine. It is cold, very rainy, no jobs, horrible legal economy, horrible school system, but beautiful.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
I don't do a lot of booster-type posts because I can't see encouraging people to move here when my friends are out of work but I am really starting to wonder if this poster has ever been in Eureka. The "one movie theater" is TWO different multiplexes and that's just an example of how off this person is.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM

11 posts, read 18,200 times
If sunny California is what you seek you best on head on to the Southern part of the state. Palm trees, beautiful tan people and the beach, pretty much what the media has portrayed THE California lifestyle to be is found in Southern California. Mark Twains' quote should have been..." Coldest day i've ever spent was a summer day in San Francisco." You will need a light jacket.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
If you want sun and warmth, come on down to Southern California plus the water is warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California