Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times

Advertisements

It is a fine state, just get out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Even if they do fail, and become homeless, at least they won't have to worry about freezing to death.
The 2007 numbers on homelessness said the US average was 22 homeless people per 10,000 residents. New Jersey was at 20 homeless per 10,000 state residents.

California in 2007 was at 44 homeless people per 10,000 (and that was 2007, it has risen much higher the last 3 years). It had one of the highest rates of homeless topped only by Nevada and Oregon.
http://www.endhomelessness.org/section/data/homelessmap (broken link)

Since we are already at twice the level of the rest of the country, can we ask the rest of the U.S. to send us more money to help all our homeless?
Quote:
Of course nobody in their right mind is going to pick up and move to the otherside of the country without money, I can't even make it across town without at least gas money or money for a transpass. I thought that was a given, but apparently I have to break it down barney style for some people on this site (I guess they want figures).
Given the number of posts in this forum from people who think they can just move to California then find a minimum wage job and pay rent on the California beaches, I think there are a lot of people not in their right mind.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
If you are so inclined to head on over to the Santa Barbara area you will find homeless all over the place. In one park near Fess Parkers Double Tree Hotel you will find several living in small tents. Across the street near Stearns Wharf they place blankets on the ground with signs that request money. As you are walking on the wharf the row of blankets with the interesting signs and games is interesting. These homeless have made it a game. The signs tell you to try your luck at dropping your coins into differant size cans, pots or what have you on their blankets. People usually stop to take a picture from the wharf down at the signs.

Along the side walk you will find homeless guys and girls drawing, making music of some kind, doing what ever to make a buck. At a baseball field near by their were probably 20 to 25 homeless men and some women hanging out around home plate and first base. Others were sleeping near the field.

Not sure how many homeless Santa Barbara has but they don't even have 90,000 people in the entire city and I probably saw over 100 homeless people in a 3 mile area of the city. Heck I don't blame them though. If I were homeless I would love to live there.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you are so inclined to head on over to the Santa Barbara area you will find homeless all over the place. In one park near Fess Parkers Double Tree Hotel you will find several living in small tents. Across the street near Stearns Wharf they place blankets on the ground with signs that request money. As you are walking on the wharf the row of blankets with the interesting signs and games is interesting. These homeless have made it a game. The signs tell you to try your luck at dropping your coins into differant size cans, pots or what have you on their blankets. People usually stop to take a picture from the wharf down at the signs.

Along the side walk you will find homeless guys and girls drawing, making music of some kind, doing what ever to make a buck. At a baseball field near by their were probably 20 to 25 homeless men and some women hanging out around home plate and first base. Others were sleeping near the field.

Not sure how many homeless Santa Barbara has but they don't even have 90,000 people in the entire city and I probably saw over 100 homeless people in a 3 mile area of the city. Heck I don't blame them though. If I were homeless I would love to live there.
I was in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago and snapped a pic of this....I'll try to upload it...

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Santa Barbara on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjcraigo/4496761042/ - broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I was in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago and snapped a pic of this....I'll try to upload it...
jc, hope you enjoyed your visit, anything encouraging about moving back? I know how much you want to leave IN.

Nita

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^This is what I mean. This condescending crap is the reason I started this thread. Who talked about not working and not paying rent?

I don't take anything too seriously on this site, or the internet at all for that matter, its just to pass the time. It might just seem a little dramatic because of my writing style.

Why do all the Cali people on C-D assume everyone outside of Cali is flat broke? There must be a reason for that? I deal with alot of "old money", and I'm thinking more along the lines of long-term investment opportunities.

Of course nobody in their right mind is going to pick up and move to the otherside of the country without money, I can't even make it across town without at least gas money or money for a transpass. I thought that was a given, but apparently I have to break it down barney style for some people on this site (I guess they want figures).

I know the cali public schools taught you better than that.
Wait wait wait...what did I post that prompted this response? All I said was living in California was like living in ANY OTHER PLACE, aside from the weather. Point was that American life is American life, no matter where you spin it. How was anything I was saying 'condescending'? Try to find it for me because I don't know what you're talking about.

Every single time I respond back to one of your posts, you get your panties in a bunch. You need to calm down.

The problem with you is you have a lot of preconceived notions about California in every single post talking about California (Cali people are this...Cali people are that..Cali relies on entertainment..Cali this..Cali that...all immigrants to Cali are poor...yadda yadda yadda), so don't get bothered that people want to dispel those notions. Especially when you don't have enough respect to take the 2 more seconds to type out the whole word "California" or "Californian".

We're not saying that you're poor, though judging by the tenor of your posts you don't strike me as a scientist either. Of course not everyone who moves to California isn't flat broke, but there is a huge number that are because of preconceived notions like the above. That's what the warning was for.

What we're trying to say is "Come whenever you're ready".

Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
It helps to have tons of money when relocating and/or a plethora of family and friends especially with elite associations but unfortunately this is not the case for many folks.

However, with some planning, anyone can go anywhere and as they say 'make it there' whereas, California is not the exception, it all depends on a persons resourcefulness and determination.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
There are many people, myself included, who live in very pricey areas of coastal California and do not have a lot of money.
It all depends on how simply you are willing and able to live.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
California is a beautiful place to live with great weather and scenery. More than any place the California life really is what you make of it. This can be 1000+ different things to 1000s of ppl. Many come out with the dream of a better life and the mentality that they are going to carve out a place for themselves. Then through being resourceful they find a way to make it work and its great. While others are less fortunate. And there is a large group of ppl who fall somwhere in the middle.

As the most populous state California really is a microcosm of America itself. On a forum like this you will find the disenfrachised, the privileged, the frustrated, those who made a decent life for themseves, the homeless, and many more. So opinions will be varied.

The discouragement with which you speak comes from many who either feel disenfranchised, displaced, or from those who worked hard to make a way for themselves. Part of the comments to me seem like constant complaining from those who expected CA to do more for them. While others are valid words of warning, advice from those who have carved out a place for themselves through hard work and experience along the way. Some came through the school of hard knocks and are a bit jaded.

But I would recommend not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Ignore the whinners and the chicken littles declaring the sky is falling. Many *expect* the good life which they are of course *entitled* to but somehow didn't get. And they are the first to complain about anything/everything.

But others who have worked harder/smarter to make a life for themselves have learned a few things along the way. If they tell you things like have a plan and a backup, much of it comes form personal experience. Finding a good job is not always easy. So they advise you to look in advance and line something up. Thats just good common sense. Its not negativity. However do some ppl make it without all their ducks lined up in a row first? Sure, although its harder to do.

There is a certain x-factor which cannot be determined from an internet forum such as this regarding a person's individual dreams, goals, vision, determination, work ethic, resourcefulness, sphere of influence, social network, etc... The things which largely cannot be measured can make the biggest difference for someone new to the state. The saying 'its not always what you know but who you know' can apply as well.

Life is a journey. Sometimes it takes unexpected turns and you'll need to adapt, adjust and rise to the occasion. So if you feel up for it go for it.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-06-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California