Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,173,982 times

Advertisements

What I don't get is how I see modified cars blasting down my street all day every day if they can't pass emissions.. clearly they're getting registered..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:59 AM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
What I don't get is how I see modified cars blasting down my street all day every day if they can't pass emissions.. clearly they're getting registered..
Yeah, and how about all the hotrods that cruise around various towns during car shows? Some of these are much older than the '90 mustang in question. I saw many classic 65 mustangs, cameros, 57 chevys, etc...

Check out some of these rides I saw reving their engines and cruising around town last Fall in Bishop. This event is fully supported and promoted by local police, fire, city hall, etc...

Owens Valley Cruisers

It might not hurt to contact a car club like this to find out more. But most likely you will still need another ride for a daily commuter. What do you use now since you admitted this is really only a garage queen anyway which only comes outside in Summer?

Derek

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,476,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, and how about all the hotrods that cruise around various towns during car shows? Some of these are much older than the '90 mustang in question. I saw many classic 65 mustangs, cameros, 57 chevys, etc...

Check out some of these rides I saw reving their engines and cruising around town last Fall in Bishop. This event is fully supported and promoted by local police, fire, city hall, etc...

Owens Valley Cruisers

It might not hurt to contact a car club like this to find out more. But most likely you will still need another ride for a daily commuter. What do you use now since you admitted this is really only a garage queen anyway which only comes outside in Summer?

Derek
Aren't there exceptions for old cars that never had any emission control to begin with?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Aren't there exceptions for old cars that never had any emission control to begin with?
Yep.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,978,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawlan View Post
Haha. You forgot one option, not moving to the disaster that is CA.

This is the option I suggest. Please, I beg of you... stay where you are in flyover country.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,731,080 times
Depends on where you live, the age of the vehicle, the motive power, fuel type, vehicle weight and engine size...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

99.9% of passenger cars newer than 1975 will require smog testing.

Cars that are older can still by cited if belching smoke and it's always been that way since I've been around.

Statistically... many collector vehicles see very few miles annually and still pay insurance and license fees.

Also, it can be very hard to locate replacement parts for cars that are 30 plus years and none of them have the modern computer interface required for the new machines.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:54 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,112,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is the option I suggest. Please, I beg of you... stay where you are in flyover country.
Flyover country, never heard of that term until I shared my OTR journeys with others around here.

But then again, I was always a land traveler, so there.

As for the OP, store it at a relatives/friends house and look into seeing how far away from work you'll actually be living.

If you could find a place 5-10 miles away from the jobsite, bicycle it like I do.

A 5.0 is a terrible thing to waste!!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 PM

153 posts, read 381,922 times
Go japanese. Better yet, Tesla.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,926,119 times
When we lived in AZ, I bought a Datsun truck with a highly modified engine from a friend in CA. It was right around the time when bi-annual smog checks were instituded. I got it for a song because he couldn't get it smogged. A few years later we moved to San Diego and I tried to get a waiver from the California Air Resources Board. They actually considered it until they found out the Weber carbs were not legal for street use anywhere. I ended up selling it to someone back in AZ.
Other options>
There used to be a lot of rural areas that don't require smog checks. Seems like if you lived in eastern San Diego County, Julian comes to mind, you could pretty much do what you wanted to your car. This might have changed though.
My brother bought a Cobra kit car and had to get a smog waiver to get his plate. But there are only 500 given out a year. He had to arrive at his DMV several hours before opening on the first business day in January. But he was successful and the car never needs a smog check
Good luck. I hope there is some way to keep your car.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:21 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,403,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawlan View Post
Haha. You forgot one option, not moving to the disaster that is CA.
How about you stay in Kentucky and pollute your own air rather than move to the "disaster that is California." We'll be very happy without your exhaust, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California