Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 AM

14 posts, read 70,997 times

Advertisements

I sold our old pickup truck to a Navy sailor in March for $3500 (cashier's check). I filled out my portion of the pink slip and mailed it to the DMV. I didn't keep a copy of any of the paperwork, thinking, What are the chances that anything can go wrong. Well, last week I got a "Notice of Evasion of Toll" from a private toll road operator nearby, saying the truck blew through a toll road and is still registered to me. Then I remembered that the buyer said he might registered in Washington State! So he probably did an CA DMV never got notified. I went to the DMV and they said the part of the pink slip I sent in is on their record, but there is nothing they can give me right there, that I'd have to send in a form and pay $20 requesting a copy of the pink slip on microfilm. What a pain! Is there anything else I can do? I tried emailing the buyer, but no response. I don't have his phone number any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:28 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Did you fill out the release of libility form when you sold the car?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Did you fill out the release of libility form when you sold the car?
What is that form? Where do I get one? I just filled out the bottom (top?) half of the pink slip following the instructions, and mailed it in. Is *that* the release of liability form?

Thanks.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,568 times
You should be able to write to the toll road operator and explain the circumstances.

A few months ago I got a parking ticket for a car with my license plate number in the mail ... the only problem was, it claimed that the violation occurred in Los Angeles, and I haven't been in LA or within 50 miles of the city on that day or any other day in the last year or so ... So I just sent them a printed letter in response, saying that it wasn't me and it couldn't have been me, and enclosed a copy of my registration. Eventually I got a response, stating that their description of the vehicle did not match my registration (duh!) therefore the ticket was dropped. Evidently, they did not bother to check before issuing the ticket.

In your case, if you contact them, they might check with the DMV and confirm that you mailed in your part of the pink slip

Old 05-24-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
You should be able to write to the toll road operator and explain the circumstances.
I called the toll road operator and they said I'm still the registered owner, and that I need to send them a copy of my "release of liability form" from the DMV. I'm not sure what that form is, and getting anything from CA DMV is like pulling teeth. And it costs money. So I was hoping there was some other way... not that I know what that is.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,568 times
Aha ... the release of liability form seems to be precisely the stub from the pink slip that you mailed in:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg138.pdf

Since you didn't keep a copy when you mailed it in, I suggest that you fill this one NOW, and mail a copy to the toll road operator ... I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see why it would be wrong, as long as you enter the correct information ...

Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Aha ... the release of liability form seems to be precisely the stub from the pink slip that you mailed in:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg138.pdf

Since you didn't keep a copy when you mailed it in, I suggest that you fill this one NOW, and mail a copy to the toll road operator ... I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see why it would be wrong, as long as you enter the correct information ...
Unfortunately, I don't know/remember the buyer's name and contact info, which is needed to fill out that form!

Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
The DMV and CHP will run you ragged having you do their work. Shame is you made no copy to back yourself up.
I am no lawyer, but I would ignore it. It will pop up on the registration when they actually renew it.
A CHP officer advised me to remove license plates when selling, this forces them to register it in their name.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Approach your bank and ask for a copy of the cashiers check, that will serve as a receipt.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
The good thing is the DMV has your release on file... and that is a real good thing!

Now, when I sell a car... I go to the DMV office with the buyer and do everything together at the window... I know the car is out of my name and the buyer knows it's really belongs to them.

Long ago, I started making a photocopy of the release and got a Certificate of Mailing from the post office... less expensive then certified return receipt...

Three times in the last 20 years have the "Proof" has saved me. Many buy cars with no intention of registering them and it creates all kinds of problems...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: