Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,526,013 times

Advertisements

Getting a bit defensive are we?

I understand that there are people who support Sarah, a woman without an original thought in her head, and perhaps without a thought in her head, who sold Alaska down river for millions of dollars. and yet has nothing of substance to contribute to any political discussion.

Me? I like ethical people, and don't counter with Obama again, sheesh, talk about non original thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,992,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is like saying, if you want to lose have Obama campaign for you. Isn't that what has happened on several occassions this year?

Nita
I guess you didn't read my first post in this thread, where I offered up an explanation for why candidates for whom Palin campaigned lost more often than not - an explanation that had nothing to do with Palin herself.

The same applies to Obama - and it was all but inevitable that you would bring him into this conversation.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Just wait, someone will bring up Bill Clinton!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 PM

470 posts, read 1,156,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
At first glance I thought nothing of it until I realized that a candidate for U.S. senate was using the TV endorsement of Sarah Palin. I could very well be wrong but I think Carly Fiorina needs some serious campaign advise ASAP. Isn't Sarah Palin like the "kiss of death": ]The Palin Brand - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com. Forgive the slant of the articles' writer.

Even Vice President Cheney is in an ad supporting Whitman though I haven't seen it. Are either Palin or Cheney viewed favorably in California? I do not think so. Parts of these ads will be shown by the Democrats after the primary to remind voters who the former Vice President and vice presidential candidate endorsed.

Is having Palin and Cheney campaign for Fiorina and Whitman good politics?

Also, the former governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney now lives in La Jolla. Actually, I think Romney's appearance in Whitman's ad is a positive message since he is a moderate like Schwarzenegger.
Since Mrs. Palin has demonstrated limited skills in anything other than self-promotion,what would she "advise" Mrs Fiorina on again?

Wolf hunting?
Child rearing?
Being embarrassed on national interviews?
Losing campaigns?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,403,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
It is going to be an interesting election year. I don't think we can expect predictable behaviors from voters even in California. That includes what they will think negatively or positively about endorsements.

In California the state budget will be a problem, the only question will be who is hated more: the Dems for wanting to raise taxes or Repubs for wanting cuts? Additionally, even in California the Arizona immigration law is favored by a slight margin (50% to 43% +/-2.6%) according to poll results on the LA Times website today which is not what I might normally expect to read.

The media has also written about the Obama and Democratic party "brands" developing a negative image due to the economy, immigration, the oil spill, etc.

Democratic candidates may distance themselves from both the party leadership and Obama by November if it is bad enough to be considered a negative endorsement. And if there have been announced endorsements by a Democrat being blamed for the possible negative condition of the country in Nov, as examples Obama or Pelosi, I would expect the Repubs will remind voters about those endorsements too.

It is going to be a strange election, I would not try to anticipate at this point the positive or negative value of any endorsement or the mood of voters come November.

So rather than try to talk about only Palin and Cheney, maybe the real discussion should be will voters consider endorsements by big names from either party to be a reason to vote against a candidate in November?
You make some good\ valid points in my opinion. I was also surprised that California appears to be evenly split on the Arizona law. But regardless how the year goes for President Obama, I think he is viewed quite highly and has publicly endorsed Barbara Boxer. For the most part, Democrats haven't started their TV campaign so it will be interesting how the election goes after the primaries are over next week.

My point is that both Whitman and Fiorina are self-made women who have succeeded in the business world but have never campaigned for a political office. By including endorsements of known political office-holders such as Palin and Cheney seems ill-advised regardless the economy.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Getting a bit defensive are we?

I understand that there are people who support Sarah, a woman without an original thought in her head, and perhaps without a thought in her head, who sold Alaska down river for millions of dollars. and yet has nothing of substance to contribute to any political discussion.

Me? I like ethical people, and don't counter with Obama again, sheesh, talk about non original thought.
you know what? I don't support either of them. I am anything but a Palin lover, I was referring to the comment about "the kiss of death" that goes for both sides..And I will counter with whatver I choose to...Again, I will repeat I am not a fan of either.

Nita

Old 05-31-2010, 04:00 PM

apples fall from apple trees.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,328,216 times
Quote:
Just wait, someone will bring up Bill Clinton!
What about Bill Clinton?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Sarah has become "The Black Widow" a kiss from her and you are dead.
Well in the case, I hope she plants a big juicy wet one on Fiorina's forehead.

Quote:
Didn't Carly run HP into the ground?
She was almost unanymously hated in the Silicon Valley when she was running HP.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,207,874 times
I think a legal citizen picked randomly off the street of a mid-sized California city would do more good for California than Barbara Boxer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California