Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Not much you could do if without a campground host or security personal on site.....

some where on the web these two groups of people have most likely made a post about you....talking about some crazy person coming onto their site cussing and yelling about how they are supposed to act....see there are always three sides to every story when it is being told......

when you camp at places like this you have to expect the unexpected
and not everyone is going to agree with how you think everyone should be camping.....many people go for the peace and quiet and others so to get together with friends and party....

You have two choices, you can go to an out of way campground like you did and hope for the best or you can go to a very structured campground with a long list of rules and regulations that are enforced 24/7
For what it's worth, I did not cuss until the end of the conversation, after they had told me repeatedly that they weren't shutting the generator off and after they told me there were no quiet hours. I was pretty civil until the end. You get more bees with honey than with vinegar, they say....

Sweetie Pie, my son slept through everything thankfully. My wife and I were sleepy at 11:00 but could not ignore the drone of the generator and drunken laughter next to us. After I spoke to them, I was quite amped up and stayed up a while outside. I went in later and finally drifted off. There's not much surroundings to enjoy at 0300, but lots of mosquitos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 AM

263 posts, read 745,134 times
what surprises me is all the people who will sit up half the night in the campground hooting and hollering because that is what they think camping is. and they miss the best part of the day...getting up with the sun and the smell of bacon and eggs is in the crisp morning air...at least they don't screw that up for us.
i guess if nobody is there to enforce the rules, there are no rules. there are some fights you can't win though, and i would have likely broken camp and moved. not worth getting shot over.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
For what it's worth, I did not cuss until the end of the conversation, after they had told me repeatedly that they weren't shutting the generator off and after they told me there were no quiet hours. I was pretty civil until the end. You get more bees with honey than with vinegar, they say....

Sweetie Pie, my son slept through everything thankfully. My wife and I were sleepy at 11:00 but could not ignore the drone of the generator and drunken laughter next to us. After I spoke to them, I was quite amped up and stayed up a while outside. I went in later and finally drifted off. There's not much surroundings to enjoy at 0300, but lots of mosquitos.
Hopefully, your next camping experience will be better than this one. Don't let one spoiled incident keep you from enjoying camping with your family. Maybe next time, you can bring a CD player, and drown the offensive outside noise with soothing music, or like some one mentioned, bring ear plugs.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to reading about your happy camping stories in the future!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
i guess if nobody is there to enforce the rules, there are no rules.

Best statement in this entire thread.....

Dont get me wrong steveusaf I have been right where your were on several occasions, camping some place where there were no rules or the rules were not enforced but all you can do is deal with it and move on in the morning....because trying to tell someone to change from what they are doing is never going to end well....Everyone has their own idea what camping is and it might change every trip out....sometimes I like to find an out of the way place with no one around and other times I might invite 20-30 people and have a party on site....either way its what I want to do at that time and no one except the campground host/security guard is going to tell me to do anything different

I actually had a woman one time try to tell me to put my fire out I had in an approved fire ring place on site by the campground.....her reasoning why she wanted it out? Because smoke was drifting over onto her site.....I dont have to tell you what I told her, do I? LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Earplugs it is! I live on an Air Force base and when the engine noise gets too loud at night, I put them in. Guess it will have to work for camping, too....

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
Steveusaf, sorry you had a bad experiance. This is the exact reason i hate camping with most of the general public. I was a Boy Scout for 6 years as a scout and 18 as a leader. I am completely spolied by all those nights camping in Scout camps away from the public. Nothing to hear but the 'coons trying to claw into the other boys tents who claimed not to have any food in their tent When me and the fiance go camping now, we go to state or national parks and have to deal with other people. For the most part, they are agreable and pretty nice and considerate, but you get the occasional block head. I don't really have a way of dealing with them, if they are loud we ask them to quiet down. My biggest revenge is to get up at dawn and make noise.. trying to not distrube the nicer folks.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 PM

245 posts, read 585,970 times
You let jerks ruin your weekend,OP.
I'm sure that the generator was loud...but it can't have been THAT loud.
Why didn't you move?

Next time....pick a secluded spot and enjoy yourself.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,836 times
I believe I can't control what other people do, I can only control my reaction to it. We had what we thought was a loud generator in a site across from ours. It turned out to be just a loud a/c unit. I could hear it drone inside our fiver even with our a/c on! I can't imagine being IN the camper that thing sat on! I got annoyed at first, then I just let it be "white noise" and slept through it. I've slept with a TV on many times in my life, so the partiers just become "TV noise" and I sleep through them too. Now the kids traipsing through our campsite wanting to pet the dogs............ a little harder to ignore! But I figured they were just being kids and no sense in ruining their weekend by telling them they should have better manners. Instead hubby enjoyed them and supervised them petting the dogs. I think everybody had a nice camping experience.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I believe I can't control what other people do, I can only control my reaction to it. We had what we thought was a loud generator in a site across from ours. It turned out to be just a loud a/c unit. I could hear it drone inside our fiver even with our a/c on! I can't imagine being IN the camper that thing sat on! I got annoyed at first, then I just let it be "white noise" and slept through it. I've slept with a TV on many times in my life, so the partiers just become "TV noise" and I sleep through them too. Now the kids traipsing through our campsite wanting to pet the dogs............ a little harder to ignore! But I figured they were just being kids and no sense in ruining their weekend by telling them they should have better manners. Instead hubby enjoyed them and supervised them petting the dogs. I think everybody had a nice camping experience.
Your right about the fact that, "children are children". But when your out camping at a state park and a little one keeps screaming out like a banshee , well then is when all the blame goes back onto the parents. We had one that was about 5 campsites over and everyone was getting annoyed over that one. No crying involved "that we could tell", just would let out a high ear piercing pitch and all the time, that would have made a preacher take the Lords name in vain.

I guess someone got fed up with it, they screamer parents decided to pack it up and leave, "the God"!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:17 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Your right about the fact that, "children are children". But when your out camping at a state park and a little one keeps screaming out like a banshee , well then is when all the blame goes back onto the parents. We had one that was about 5 campsites over and everyone was getting annoyed over that one. No crying involved "that we could tell", just would let out a high ear piercing pitch and all the time, that would have made a preacher take the Lords name in vain.

I guess someone got fed up with it, they screamer parents decided to pack it up and leave, "the God"!
Screaming children definately set my teeth on edge! A couple of teen girls took a canoe out on the lake. I don't know what it is about teen girls, but they have to squeal about everything! The fish I caught had ear muffs on! I just tuned them out, the same as I would if an infant was squalling all night. I figure the parents have enough problems without me adding to them by complaining. I doubt it would do any good anyway. I look at it this way, they are there to have a good time too. Just doesn't seem worth it to me to let this stuff that is out of my control bother me, all it will do is ruin MY weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing