Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times

Advertisements

A few friends and I are thinking about renting a large RV (sleeps 6+) to head 'cross country and check out some cities and area's we've never been to. From CT to Seattle and everywhere in between.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Anyone know gas mileage of a larger RV? Diesel or reg? I know they're Ford engines, so my guess would be regular gas.

Has anyone done this, and if so, what were your biggest expenses?

Also, any good stories?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:14 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Hi, I have quite a bit of experience dealing with RVs. You will probably get 8-10 mpg on a larger gas motorhome. 12-15 on your average diesel. These are all highway miles of course. Your biggest expense will definitely be gas. You will be sleeping in the motorhome, so that will save you money. Will you be camping out mostly in National parks, campgrounds etc? Or will you be staying in RV parks? Rv parks will be your second biggest expense, followed by food and beer. Even though the entire trip may seem a bit expensive, don't forget to divide that by 6. A long road trip is a blast. Have fun!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
If you're going from Ct to Seattle only take the northern route in the summer, otherwise take the southern route and go up. We drove out from San Francisco into the Rockies and ran into a snow storm in May. You don't want to do that with an RV. Plus they didn't have guard rails along the very twisty roads.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Based on my years of running a summer resort, here's a few recomendations:

1. Make sure at least one person is used to driving a large vehicle. These things are not sports cars and can be a handful in heavy traffic.

2. Before taking possession of your rental, make sure more than one person in the party knows how to run the various systems. Have your rental company go over them with you; don't be afraid to ask questions if you're not sure about a procedure.

3. Ensure that your RV comes equipped with a sewage hose complete with coupler(s), and a water hose complete with rubber washer for the female end.

4. Your RV power cord will likely have a special 30-amp connecter. Acquire an adapter that will allow your RV power supply to be plugged in to a standard 15 amp outlet.

5. If possible, take possession of your RV a day before your departure. Set it up in your driveway to make sure you understand all the systems and that they all function properly.

6. Ask your rental agency what the procedure is if the RV has mechanical problems while on the road. Will you have to pay repair bills and then pursue the rental company for reimbursement? What is their policy for vacation time lost due to equipment malfunction?

7. Take a small tool kit with at least a set of screwdrivers, pliers, large waterpump pliers, hammer, adjustable wrenches, electrical tape, and duct tape.

8. Enquire about the availability of a bicycle rack for the rear of the RV. It's a lot handier to hop on your bike to ride to the store for a loaf of bread rather than moving a large RV.

Based on my last drive to the West Coast, you can be sure your Rv will love every fuel depot it passes, especially when driving on mountain roads. Large, gas powered RVs are often underpowered for comfortable mountain driving.

Good luck and happy camping.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Of the truck stop chains, Flying J sems to have one of the better RV fueling programs and other RV serices, from what I can see on the truck diesel islands...

Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
I agree with Crew Chief on Flying J. They have the most convenient RV islands. We have been in a few "truck" stops that were so RV unfriendly, so it is a good thing to "look before" leaping. In other words, make sure you have plenty of turning room before you pull into the station. It's also very helpful to KNOW the height of your rig before pulling under the canopy.

Cornerguy also mentions your power cord. Depending on the size of the rig you rent, you might also get a 50 amp cord. Most of todays larger rigs have these. This is where you may find trouble if you are going to try to stay in State and National parks along the way. Some parks have no 50 amp sites, some have very few, and those that do are usually "prime" real estate. These parks are usually also "tight", in that a rig 35 ft or better can sometimes have trouble with the tight turns and small campsites.

There are several very helpful web sites which can give you details about the amenities of the campgrounds/parks you might like to try, and I highly recommend checking them out prior to arrival. There is nothing more maddening than getting to your destination, only to have to leave quickly, because they don't have the amenities or services you need. Try Woodalls, Trailer Life and rvparkreviews.com to name a few.

Best of luck! And have a great time!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It's also very helpful to KNOW the height of your rig before pulling under the canopy.
Excellent advice, Aus10! I think just about every big city has bridges and overpasses that have been hit by trucks...and these are "professional" drivers! BTW, some underpasses/bridges in NY state are marked 1' shorter to allow for snow pack...

Old 01-14-2022, 04:40 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
I realize this is an older thread. I wanted to comment just the same.

While traveling in an RV out west, I was amazed at the number of foreigners that fly into the US, then motorhome around seeing our National Parks and other sites. All of them have to rent RVs.

I got my start in RVing by flying into Anchorage then camping along the road on the Kenai Peninsula.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:15 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Since this thread has been resurrected, although I own a small RV (Gulfstream BT Cruiser), it's used more for "night out" transportation than a true gone camping RV. But, I often have employees that are working at remote sites, in remote areas, for long on-site hours that renting an RV is often the best work/sleep arrangement for the situation.

As others have mentioned, fuel is a major expense, campground cost can be a consideration depending on the type or facility you pick, food cost can be higher especially when you're eating as you come and not having organized cooking of meals, and, you may have extras transportation cost if you can't get where you want in a large RV and have to take alterative transit.

Now the one extra consideration when renting an RV is the miles driven. Make sure you know what miles are included and what's the cost per extra miles when incurred. A dozen "not that far away" side trips that were not planned can add extra miles. You can also add miles quickly when you have to double back because you'll hit empty before the next gas station, so back to Jerry's Service Station and Squirrel Farm. So, just know what miles are included and the extra cost so you are not hit with a surprise when the trip ends.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I realize this is an older thread. I wanted to comment just the same.

While traveling in an RV out west, I was amazed at the number of foreigners that fly into the US, then motorhome around seeing our National Parks and other sites. All of them have to rent RVs.
Oh yeah. When we were renting regularly from Cruise America, we saw German couples come in to rent. The Euro was strong. I wonder how many of those people really understood how big this country is. It ain't Europe.

Quote:
I got my start in RVing by flying into Anchorage then camping along the road on the Kenai Peninsula.
That sounds like fun. I've been to Homer and Seward but it was on a cruise ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing