Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,225,857 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I had a 1987 VW Westfalia Camper Van that we found quite comfortable and compatible with our needs for just the two of us as both a daily driver and a small motorhome.

Now that we'd like to have that sort of vehicle again, we wish we hadn't been talked into selling it!

What's the smallest motorhome out there nowadays that's similar to what we once had? We'd really like to find something used that's less than ten years old.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,170,577 times
You can still get eurovan westies (I think...)

Rialta's, a true class C rather than B (van) are a bit of an upgrade for size / comfort and about the same price (Genset, micro, toilet, and shower). NO OFF-Road !! (low ground clearance + frt wheel drive-made until ~2005)

Rialta Heaven - Welcome
WetWesties - A Pacific Northwest Camping Society

The more std version of van conversions are the Roadtrek and similar. (Sprinter (diesel) conversion vans are about $100k, but they get about the same mileage as a westy 22-24) BUT they are very TIGHT inside. The Sprinter Class C's get ~ 17 mpg and have more room (same price or lower)

What exactly do you want to do with this thing?
Recreational travel, live in it, extended travel ?

What is driving you to a Westy;
Size / convenience ?
Economy ?
Capital costs ?

For your age requirement (10 yrs) I would get a Eurovan or Rialta. One-owner for sale BY owner. Hopefully it has had transmission service every 40,000 miles (tho VW claims it doesn't need it). Immediately add an auxiliary transmission cooler (~$100), and you will enjoy many yrs of trouble free driving.

I have a Rialta (which I like), but I personally prefer using my 52 mpg Diesel Passat station wagon and a 'tear-drop' camper, or better yet. $10 / night guest homes. (warm and dry).

Check out the "Jumping Jack" trailer as mentioned on page one of this thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/campi...hats-your.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-05-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,225,857 times
Wow, Sneaky Bunny, like all of your posts, this one is chock full of useful advice and info! Thanks!

What exactly do you want to do with this thing?
Recreational travel, live in it, extended travel ?

What is driving you to a Westy;
Size / convenience ?
Economy ?
Capital costs ?

Answer: Second daily driver for local recreational travel and a "stealth" BOV if the land is overrun by MZBs.
Size, convenience, and economy on a par with our old Westy.

Those Rialtas are gorgeous but too large and too expensive for our needs and budget. I'll be researching the Eurovans, though.

The WetWesties group looks like something right up our alley, so I appreciate the tip!

(Be funny if we end up buying another restored Westy from the Eighties...)

Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
(Be funny if we end up buying another restored Westy from the Eighties...)
I would do that in a heartbeat, I know of several in the area, and one that is superb condition (new engine, and x Rialta owner, previously from San Juans (now in Gorge).

Here is another site if you are into restored / conversions (TDI synchros)

Westy Ventures /* Home
Karl brings restored rigs to the PNW on occasion.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Here is another site if you are into restored / conversions (TDI synchros)
I've seen some videos of Synchros in action on Youtube, and have been quite impressed with their ability to go almost anywhere. Until I saw that, I had no idea they were so capable. Now if you add to that a Westy package and TDI, and I think you'd have almost the perfect vehicle of that type in my opinion.

The Volvo C303 would make another nearly perfect mini-camper, but is even harder to find in the U.S. as I don't believe it was ever officially imported here.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,725 times
Darn, I don't know what is really available anymore as far a something like a VW camper. My son and his wife got by with a VW for years, but there was only two of them at the time. I would have to have just a little bit more room than a VW offers. One thing I use when I'm hunting by myself is one of my pickup trucks pulling a 12 foot cargo trailer. I can put an ATV in the trailer and when I get to where I'm going take the ATV out and set up a good quality camp cot with a sleeping bag in it's place. Yeah, I have to use a camp stove outside, but when it snows I'm inside where it is warm and dry. If I leave the ATV at home or put it in the pickup, I have lots of room. My wife doesn't like this arrangement because there is no shower or mirror (she has to put on her make up, ya know). I like it because it is simple, easy to set up and pull.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Darn, I don't know what is really available anymore as far a something like a VW camper. ...12 foot cargo trailer. ... My wife doesn't like this arrangement because there is no shower or mirror ..
For the Cargo Trailer I would consider a small water heater / tank and a 12V pump to make a combo outdoor shower / water supply. I really like the outdoor shower set-up, and use it far more than indoor. It is really EZ to clean and very simple to install. Both Rialta's and Westphalia have these. (second best thing, besides the 'motor-aide' HW heater).

The step up for VW Van is a Roadtrek or similar
Roadtrek
VAN CONVERSION RVS,CLASS B VAN CAMPERS,VAN MOTORHOMES,CUSTOM CAMPER VANS,CLASS B MOTORHOME,CUSTOM MOTOR HOMES,CLASS B RV
Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Your Home Away From Home
Camper Vans and Class B Motorhomes - Pleasureway - Vantastic Vans and RV - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Motorhome Hunter FREE Classifieds - Hunt, Gather and Buy new or used Class B Camper Van Motorhomes
Class B RV's and Camper Van Conversions • View forum - Class B Camping Van Conversions

You can go used quite cheap $ 5000 (and quite expensive $70k)

IMHO - class B's are really best for 1 person, or occasionally 2 (canopy / good weather helps, as does a bike, motorcycle, or spare vehicle)

This works for me, as partner likes camping, but I prefer 50 mpg Passat and using $10 / night guest homes. Thus we do some of each, and have 2 utility vehicles capable of 20 mpg+ and either is a good solution for about any trip. We also do many fly / drive trips separate and together (<$100 special airfares, $12-$15 rental cars, + guest homes $10 / night)(one likes desert, one likes cities; mtns vs, flowers; harvest farm help vs Christmas shopping...). . We leave Rialta near airports sometimes and fly home for awhile (if seasons need to change... stuff to do at home for a month or two). You can't buy much fuel for $100, and you can stash a class B in very inexpensive and secure storage.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-11-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
My wife doesn't like this arrangement because there is no shower or mirror (she has to put on her make up, ya know).
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For the Cargo Trailer I would consider a small water heater / tank and a 12V pump to make a combo outdoor shower / water supply.
For my setup, I just bought a Cabelas shower shelter, a Camp Chef "on-demand" propane water heater, and a Shur-flo 12V pump. The idea here is that I can use the pump to pump water from a water jug (or other source) to the water heater, then heat it and send it on to the shower shelter.

It runs off a 12V deep cycle battery that I put in a box on the trailer. The battery can be recharged during the day using a solar panel, or it can be hooked up to a battery charger, or even a vehicle charging system, if necessary. For that matter, the pump could be run off a vehicle 12V system if the deep cycle battery were to fail.

I added some other items that weren't necessary, but that should make the system work a bit better. Overall, my system wasn't cheap, but it should work well for long duration outings. Here is a breakdown of the cost:

Shower Shelter (on sale at Cabelas) $100
Camp Chef "on-demand" water heater $125
Shur-flo pump $70
Misc. fittings, hoses, and accumulator for pump $40
5 & 7 gallon water jugs $15
Battery $70
Battery box $50
45W Solar Panel & Controller (Harbor Freight) $180

At a total cost of about $650, it wasn't cheap. Each of the items purchased has other uses, though, so I can justify some of the cost for other purposes. The battery system can be used to power other 12V devices, or even 120V AC devices with an inverter. The hot water can also be used for kitchen cleanup in camp, or for animal cleanup at home. The shower shelter can also be used as a restroom when a porta-potty is added.

This is quite a bit more expensive than some other systems that are available, but it should be worth it when it is time to take a shower. Another less expensive option is to buy a Zodi "Hot tap" type of system, which includes a battery powered pump, and a propane water heater. There are several different models available ranging from about $100 (the basic model available from Walmart) to over $250 (the full featured model from Cabelas, etc.). The more expensive models feature two propane burners and a higher throughput. These systems could be used in combination with a less expensive shower shelter like the basic model sold at Walmart (about $30).

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,725 times
Default Smallest Motorhome Most Like Old VW Westfalia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
For my setup, I just bought a Cabelas shower shelter, a Camp Chef "on-demand" propane water heater, and a Shur-flo 12V pump. The idea here is that I can use the pump to pump water from a water jug (or other source) to the water heater, then heat it and send it on to the shower shelter.

It runs off a 12V deep cycle battery that I put in a box on the trailer. The battery can be recharged during the day using a solar panel, or it can be hooked up to a battery charger, or even a vehicle charging system, if necessary. For that matter, the pump could be run off a vehicle 12V system if the deep cycle battery were to fail.

I added some other items that weren't necessary, but that should make the system work a bit better. Overall, my system wasn't cheap, but it should work well for long duration outings. Here is a breakdown of the cost:

Shower Shelter (on sale at Cabelas) $100
Camp Chef "on-demand" water heater $125
Shur-flo pump $70
Misc. fittings, hoses, and accumulator for pump $40
5 & 7 gallon water jugs $15
Battery $70
Battery box $50
45W Solar Panel & Controller (Harbor Freight) $180

At a total cost of about $650, it wasn't cheap. Each of the items purchased has other uses, though, so I can justify some of the cost for other purposes. The battery system can be used to power other 12V devices, or even 120V AC devices with an inverter. The hot water can also be used for kitchen cleanup in camp, or for animal cleanup at home. The shower shelter can also be used as a restroom when a porta-potty is added.

This is quite a bit more expensive than some other systems that are available, but it should be worth it when it is time to take a shower. Another less expensive option is to buy a Zodi "Hot tap" type of system, which includes a battery powered pump, and a propane water heater. There are several different models available ranging from about $100 (the basic model available from Walmart) to over $250 (the full featured model from Cabelas, etc.). The more expensive models feature two propane burners and a higher throughput. These systems could be used in combination with a less expensive shower shelter like the basic model sold at Walmart (about $30).

When I use the cargo trailer I use it because I want to take an ATV and setup in an area where I can't readily take my 5th wheel trailer. If I was going to take my wife and a shower and bathroom, it would take my 5th wheel. Sorry, I would never waste $650 on a shower for camping. I have two small hotwater heaters, and a water pump, I could build a shower, all I would be lacking is someone to hold the fig leaf.

StealthRabbit Thank you for the idea on the portable heaters in the Westy Ventures link.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I would never waste $650 on a shower for camping.
If all I could use this gear for was taking a shower, I would not have bought it, either. Fortunately, it has multiple uses, and can be used as part of my emergency preparedness gear, so for me, it was worth the expense.

Here are some of the other uses I intend to use this equipment for:

Hot water supply (for cleaning dishes or other purposes)
Privacy shelter (for use as a restroom or changing area)
12 volt power source (for lighting, charging cell phone or radio batteries, or for use as an emergency power supply)

I also wanted something that could stand up to the amount of use it will likely get when I go camping with a large group. Each year our church men's group has one or two camping trips, and we typically get between 25 and 60 people at each of them. I expect this equipment will work well to help a large number of our group to keep themselves and the camp clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing