Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,165 times

Advertisements

I live in Southern Oregon, and have recently purchased a TT. Does anyone have suggestions on which roads are the easiest and safest to travel, with a 26' TT, from I-5 to the coast? We plan to drive the entire coast, once we get over there, so we can use any hiway.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
For routes from the south of state, most use 42 from Winston or 126 (Eugene... not too 'south')

Personally, (depends on your master plan), I would go north to Longview, WA (Castle Rock if you want to spend time at Mt St Helen's) and then west on WA side (so you can visit Cape / lighthouse / Lewis and Clark center), Then South along OR coast. It is so much easier / safer to do the left coast southbound (especially with a trailer). You are not pulling across traffic each stop, better viewing for passenger, ez on and off (right turns). + it is ALL downhill... (at least on the map... southbound ).

There is a nice private campground (very small) on the north entrance to Cannon Beach (near ecola). Walking distance to town. BE SURE to go to Hug Point (~ 3 miles south of Cannon Beach) hug point state park map - Google Search

Driftwood beach is great at Twin Rocks. (across from Friend's Camp / the walkway overpass)

CAUTION, you will need to turn across traffic to get to Tillamook Cheese Factory (there is a new traffic light at the south entrance IIRC). Eat some extra curd samples for me!!

there is a campground south of Waldport that is 10ft from the beach. The small Forest Service one JUST south of State Park. name...??

have a great time.

BE careful. take it slow, test brakes often

Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks!! I hadn't even thought about making safer turns. Excellent point!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM

34,099 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Or... (as you're already in S Oregon)
Take US199 South from Grants Pass into Ca a bit (and 101) then up the coast back into OR

Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 PM

I was wondering if any of the hiways were less winding then the Redwood. Most of it's an easy drive, but I thought parts might be harder with a trailer.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

34,099 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I was wondering if any of the hiways were less winding then the Redwood. Most of it's an easy drive, but I thought parts might be harder with a trailer.
Anywhere that will attract folks who want to camp is going to have winding roads...
nearly all of which are able to handle you and if not will say so well in advance of you getting to the tight parts
(like some of the spots up McKenzie hwy above Sisters)

The real issue here (I suspect) is that you need to get more comfortable pulling a rig and using your mirrors.
That takes time. hint: when going forward keep hands and "10&2"; in reverse at "7&5"

hth

Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
most of OR coast is MUCH straighter than most of CA. Quite a lot of the southern coast is not near the water (Dunes) There are some areas in CA (Redwoods and south near BigSur) where I was absolutely sick and tired of curves (and I was often on a Motorcycle! ) I have redone those in Cars and MH, and I am STILL tired of the curves + it is MUCH slower w/ trailer.

The Grant's pass route is fine, I would just come home that way.

I am actually building some residences in scenic places across USA, w/ a few RV sites, storage, workshop / laundry & community room. I trust with the trouble and fuel costs, more folks will like to leave their RV's in scenic places near major airports. I will keep a few of my $35 cars that get 50 mpg there for folks to use when they fly in. I find it a bit of an ordeal to travel via rv. I like to drive at night, so pulling over at 4PM to find a spot to camp is not in my genes. During the day, I will usually pull up to a quiet city park. About the time I get to sleep the lawn mower shows up...

Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks! Fortunately, my husband will be driving! LOL.
I was most curious about the roads from I-5 to the coast. I think maybe we'll drive up I-5 into WA and then over Hiway 30 to Astoria, then down. Back home via the Redwood Hiway.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Fortunately, my husband will be driving! LOL.
I was most curious about the roads from I-5 to the coast. I think maybe we'll drive up I-5 into WA and then over Hiway 30 to Astoria, then down. Back home via the Redwood Hiway.
30 is a nice rte west, but can be hectic. (preferred rte of choice for shortest time, thus FAST drivers, lots of 'passing' accidents). WA SR#4 is much flatter, more scenic but a tad longer. The Astoria bridge is now "free"

Ft Stevens State Park is a nice campground during the week. (pretty crazy on weekends and summer)

be sure to see Fort Clatsop (Lewis and Clark) very near to Ft Stevens & Warrenton Costco.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks, Stealth. I think we'll try SR 4. We'll try to make the trip before the "official" start of summer. Maybe avoid some of the crowds.
Is Ft Stevens a regular campground w/hook-ups? We have always tent camped, and I like the campgrounds that are not RV exclusive. Even though we will want h-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing