Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM

844 posts, read 1,658,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
depends.... I have done so in Alaska to Mexico and many places in between. For yrs I would take my motorcycle and a bedroll and be gone every weekend somewhere in Rockymtn west.

I have had MUCH more trouble with PEOPLE than animals. (bugs can be a problem...).

I won't explain the trouble since you are frightened, but NEVER place your tent where some drunk coming into a campground can run over you. (including the OWNER of the campground who may NOT have asked their spouse if you paid, BEFORE running over you.)

I avoid campgrounds. Actually I don't feel too safe sleeping in my car or RV, but I really like sleeping in a rumbling semi truck (within reason... 60 nights STRAIGHT can get a little old).

Tent, open air, camper, car, ... all feel the same. I LIKE camping in WY city parks, and at fairgrounds (If I can't be in the WILD). My top spot is a forest service or national park 'hike-in' tent only (tho not required to HAVE a tent).

The YOUNGER you are the better ! (probably better tasting too )
I'm already very old, but I think I should do some adventures before turning 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Tent sort of keeps the rain off of you. If you are really careful with your management of the tent, it will keep the bugs from biting you at night. It also marks your camp site as "occupied".

Perhaps if OP is worried, he could get a small travel trailer and lock himself in at night.

Never ever fire a gun unless you can clearly see what is going to stop the bullet. Firing a gun in an occupied campground at night is not acceptable.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
I'm already very old, but I think I should do some adventures before turning 30.
Good Idea... the 24 yr old gal I was on the plane with, has lived in Thailand 8 yrs and is headed to Philippines this week and Hong Kong next, and to Belgium the following week. She just finished international school and is trying out the territory. But not settling down anytime soon.

by the time I was 30... I was STUCK (family, farm, and caregiver for disabled parent), but we still traveled a lot.

I would get an airline job if I was 30. (again)... but since that ain't gonna happen... I will tell my kids to do so. (One has been to 6 countries in last yr) from NZ to Iceland. He is NOT working at airlines, but DOES have a travel bug

USA Road trips...
America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online

I Fly-Drive via SWA (low fare calender) and Hotwire cars... VERY cheap.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,621,090 times
I like to camp in the woods and I am averse to bird and squirrel crap. Plus I snore and don't want to inhale any bugs or other small critters in the middle of the night.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,409 times
The tent gives you a place to stash your stuff without the bugs getting into it. It's not there to protect you from danger.....just a little weather and annoying insects. I've slept without a tent and mostly IN a tent. Now, we have a travel trailer.
It's ALL fun.
Do it and have a great time. But, I suggest a tent if you're new to camping.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,661,159 times
When i first started taking my beloved young'uns & wife camping & fishing we slept in sleeping bags on the ground, & some slept on air mattress's in the bed of my 1951 Chevvie pickemup truck...

Later i bought a 1978 American Clipper C motorhome with all the comforts...

American Clippers For Sale

Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,115 times
I'd never sleep on bare ground, I don't want insects crawling on me so at minimum I'd rather tent. But I don't like tent camping or popup either, I'd rather have a towable enclosed RV. But I can't afford that, so if I travel I go stay at the nearest Motel6.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM

4,641 posts, read 4,908,377 times
Cowboy camping isn't for me. It's not the false sense of security. It's the bugs! And dew. I get irritated by that single mosquito that buzzes right in your ear! It keeps me up at night!

I prefer a hammock.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM

152 posts, read 584,150 times
Who's frightened?

It's never a good idea to ventured out into grizzly country unprepared.
If I'm worried about "people" we move on.
Don't be worried about my gun fire I know where my rounds are going, even at night.

We haven't stayed in a campground in 35years regardless .
we boondock with our TT.

We use a tent when mountaineering and sometimes we will leave them behind and bivouac and at 12,000ft + there are few bugs.

A lot depends on where and when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
depends....

I won't explain the trouble since you are frightened,
The YOUNGER you are the better ! (probably better tasting too )

Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post
Who's frightened?
Oh, I'm sure YOUR are not frightened...

I was replying to OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
I'm brand new to camping, and I fear all the dangerous conditions possible. Both humans and wild animals may attack me? I don't know.
For a <30 yr old single gal, I would say it is good to have a sense of fear. Not an unreasonable fear, but a healthy fear. There are LOTS of Crazies, especially in cheap campgrounds. ANd when the BOYs get to drink'n. (watch out for the one's wearing coon skin hats and buckskins.

Mtn Men will get their chance at fear,,, in due time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing