Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times

Advertisements

I'm considering doing extensive travel around the country in a van or a class B camper. I work remotely, so I can work from anywhere, but of course I will need to make sure I have Internet service. Wondering if those of you with experience can give me some suggestions and advice. Specifically:

1) Any recommendations on the vehicle?
2) Any advice on Internet? I have a hotspot, but it isn't always reliable. Has anyone parked outside McDonald's to work?
3) Any other hints or tips you've learned along the way?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Many of my employees work remotely in field assignments. Often they are on-site at project that could be many miles from any hotel. Due to this, we often would rent from Cruise America for them. Overall, they served the field needs well. However, when not at the site,. they often stayed at local hotels and would use the motor home as local transportation which wasn't always that convenient. We decide to start investigating either the purchase or lease of our own units.

In researching for this need, I found that it all boils down to the individual. Everyone had their own likes and dislikes, needs and desires, comfort and adaptability. Some may have no issues in a Roadtrek 190 while others find them cramp and inconvenient. Some may be comfortable in a Pleasure-way Plateau XLTS while others see them as a UPS truck with a bed. We have employees that refuse to use a wet bath which is common on many "B"'s. Since Class B's also include B-Plus and there are "C"'s that are close in size to B's, which vehicle is really a pure personal decision.

As for internet, some service provides (like cable company's) may have their own regional hotpots that are pretty stable. There are also many paid wireless internet providers although their service and transceivers are not always compatible with each other. We simple pay for a national carrier's wireless internet. Like a data plan for your cell phones, these are on the same networks but a bit more robust in that they are faster, stable, and tend to mimic wired internet service for use with laptops, desktops and tablets.

Also, don't forget many locations offer free internet through educational, research and other similar entities. So check out the libraries, community centers, maybe a downtown area, and even hospitals. If using public open wifi, seriously consider a VPN service.

Once again, the vehicle is the main item and you really need to make some important decisions based only on you. I would start with the basics. First decide the basic size followed by the style followed by the configuration, followed by the amenities. Since you will be living and working in that unit, it must meet your needs regardless of what I would need for my needs. Of course, cost will also be a factor, both purchase and ongoing.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Roadtrek, Pleasureway, Rialta are 'van' options. Join their 'Forums / users groups ' They have technical GTG around USA to work on each other's projects / repairs.

$3000 - $30000 for used (Plenty good, and NOW (Fall) is a good time to buy. FL, GA, and AZ has a lot of available units FS (owners found a home in a WARM climate)

I use Hotspot (Verizon has best coverage in Western USA)
Libraries (during their short hours), McD is TOO Slow...

Truck stops, Denny's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, hospitals... I use them all

Stay FLEXIBLE (and single!!!)
Tires less than 7 yrs old
Consider 'workamping' (I prefer farms)
Freecampgrounds.org
Army Corp and TVA campsites
County Fairgrounds

Old 11-11-2017, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the replies.

I do a lot of camping for extended periods, so a van would be a step up of sorts-not afraid to rough it.

I will check out all the suggestions. Regarding work, I am a teacher, so need a private space to do my teaching. Have taught in the car a few times, and haven't enjoyed that, but a van, where I can have my desk set up would be better.

For the vehicle, I've been considering the Ford Transit, and doing what I want/can for the back space. Any thoughts on that?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
You need to check out Cheap RV Living.com-Home

People there live in just about anything with 4 wheels, from a Prius on up to box trucks and 30-footers. There are several vids there showing people living in Transits, IIRC. And yes, many earn a living on the road.

Don't let the site name distract you. There are participants there who can afford nearly anything. What they share is an adventurous and practical spirit.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You need to check out Cheap RV Living.com-Home

People there live in just about anything with 4 wheels, from a Prius on up to box trucks and 30-footers. There are several vids there showing people living in Transits, IIRC. And yes, many earn a living on the road.

Don't let the site name distract you. There are participants there who can afford nearly anything. What they share is an adventurous and practical spirit.
Thank you! Have just checked it out and yes, that's an awesome site!

Old 11-11-2017, 06:24 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Car dealerships often leave free unsecured wifi on all night.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:30 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
The B class will be more expensive than you would expect for a van. They are also more versatile and can be parked in many areas because they don’t look like an RV. You get great gas mileage from them. Usually just under 20mpg.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
If you could get a Ford Transit Diesel... MAYBE (not sure if available yet in USA)

I have used them for yrs in China, and recently ran onto a lot of them in NZ and AU, BUT... if there is a breakdown allow the road, it is often a Transit...

For USA... I am very keen on a Dodge Chassis Roadtrek (Very nicely done, robust, hold value)

My Rialta is great and very roomy compared to a van
(if you are a mechanic for tweaks, not repairs) and you treat them like the fragile road(only) rig they are. (7,000# with Single Rear Wheels SRW) and Front wheel drive with WIDER rear axle (not gonna cut it in SNOW / inclines. ) But HUGE rear window and nice space (I have taught online classes from my Rialta... Usually from a National Park / Beach parking

The following exclude you from 'Stealth' : (But are your next steps)

Skoolie or airport transit bus conversion is a good option (especially if you want to consider Veggie fuel)
School Bus Conversion Resources

(tiny home folks should really use Skoolies (very cheap, adequate brakes, tranny, cooling, suspension)
You can be VERY creative for VERY cheap using a skoolie, BUT... they are a commercial vehicle +/-... robust but expensive to tow / repair... and they ride like a truck

If you do a conversion (lots of trouble and $$$ and THEN lots of repairs...)
Be sure to get LONGEST wheelbase possible. Shorty buses ride like a rocking horse down the freeway.

Upgrade?

Consider a Bluebird brand RV

Class C used MH are REALLY cheap and available, but... they have pretty poor economy (excluding Sprinter Based which can have high maint)

The real McCoy...
Class 8 (semi tractor with condo sleeper - toter for a 5th wheel (impractical for most), but VERY confortable, safe, better . similar economy than a Class C or Class A (gasser).

5th wheel... (5r) is great if you are planning to stay put for extended periods. MH best for daily travel (with a eco towd) / manual tranny Saturn!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:04 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
I can spot a class B from a good distance, and they look exactly like an RV, because they are.

For stealth, nothing is more anonymous than a white cargo van with few or no windows. Must be millions of workmen and contractors who have white cargo vans. Other solid colors work well for stealth too - no stripes or custom paint jobs. If you are attracted by the high top of the Transits, be aware that, for a price ($2000+), you can add a high top to any van.

BTW, stealth is a misnomer. You aren't hiding from the police, who know a "house" vehicle when they see one. Who you are hiding from is nervous passers-by. If they suspect someone is living in a van and call the police, the police must respond, whether they want to or not. A lot of the time, they actually don't want to. (But of course, some do want to.)

But I don't think that the OP is looking to be stealthy. Just wants a plain van that can be set up to meet her/his particular needs. One thing you do have to look out for is RV parks that won't take vans. Some cater to the 30-foot+ crowd, and don't want no stinkin' vans, even mint-looking class Bs. The vast majority of them don't want a junky-looking vehicle of any kind, whether a dented-up van or a dented-up winnebago. Fortunately, there are ways to find secure and non-obtrusive places to park.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-11-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing