Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 10:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times

Advertisements

Good grief! It's amazing that Ford would sell an F150 with a max payload of 1127 pounds. My son has had a 3 of those over the past 4-5 years. He also bought his daughter one last spring for her to tow her horse trailer. I told him he should get an F250 at least, but he blew me off. I wonder what the payload is for the one he bought her. Luckily, she's decided not to take her horse to college. (That was the plan, as she is/was majoring in horsemanship.)

Anyway, you really are limited to about a 5K pound trailer with that. But it rides nice, eh!

If I'm reading that sticker correctly and it's a 1012 model, will you be replacing it soon? I'm sure you can get heavy duty half-tons that are very much like it but likely have beefed up springs/suspension, brakes, lower ratio differential and a transmission cooler. They used to sell a "camper special" that would haul about as much as a 3/4-ton. I don't know if they still do or not, or if it's called a "heavy-duty half-ton." Anyway, that would probably satisfy your hauling needs and still be the F150 that you prefer.

A Ford truck expert might also be able to tell you what you'd need to beef up on your truck to make it a little better hauler. Could be that a different set of tires would be good for another 500 pounds or so. I have no idea what it would take, but someone at Ford definitely knows. Getting the answers might be impossible. It won't change the sticker, but for personal use, those stickers aren't what count.

Myself, I like F250s and up. They're designed as work trucks rather than as tall cars with big, open trunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:04 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
They used to sell a "camper special" that would haul about as much as a 3/4-ton. I don't know if they still do or not, or if it's called a "heavy-duty half-ton."

That's what they now call the "max towing package". My friend just bought a 2018 150 with the max towing package and his payload is 2200lbs.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:01 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
I view slide-outs as something else to malfunction when you are in the boonies, far from help.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:33 PM

61 posts, read 91,020 times
1ATP,

Yeah, the slideouts make it nice.

Engineman,
Former Navy EN? I've said pets since I don't have a dog at the moment, but have been giving it consideration. I plan to move out to a remote area and I can't make my mind up if I want a Great Pyrenees (for the coyotes/deer/wildlife) AND a Rottweiler for inside to help me sleep better at night (I've owned Rotties in the past). I don't want to move with dogs and that will add about 300lbs! As of right now, I am leaning towards a Rott pup (I'm a firm believer in Adopt Don't Shop, but with my other disabled and hospice cats I don't want to take a chance on damaged goods). The GP can wait of course. I had a feeling dry weight was what you stated. Thanks for the other great tips!

John,
I do have a cover on the bed already, so no worries there. My only intentions for the bed was for all my houseplants, and potted plants are heavy. I have moved so much and given away so many plants and planters, I just didn't want to do it one more time! But, sounds like they are going to the neighbor Once again, great advice.

WyoNewk,
New truck?! As much as they want for them these days, or rather when I bought it, I said I was going to drive this until the damn wheels fall off! Screw having that payment. Also, can't have any debt when getting a new mortgage and the place I'm looking at is going to need all my cash.

"Myself, I like F250s and up. They're designed as work trucks rather than as tall cars with big, open trunks."

I lol'd. I call mine a mullet. Cadillac up front, beater in the back. I never foresaw a need for a bigger truck.

I appreciate all the advice on which brands to look at, but my decision is going to be based solely on price. Under 10k is the magic number and I don't want to spend that much! It (should) be a one way trip

Thanks everyone!

Old 12-10-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I view slide-outs as something else to malfunction when you are in the boonies, far from help.
Having lived in the boonies, I absolutely get this.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:16 PM

Oh, one other thing, I see on the sticker the original tires are "p" tires. You'd be better off getting an "LT" type tire. They have stiffer sidewalls and don't flex as much when towing as the p tires do. Take a look at TireRack.com to find out what tires are available for your truck. You just type in the year, type and model of truck and then look at the tire sizes offered. Pick yours and a bunch of tires that fit will come up.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:38 PM

Idk about tires, mine only have 24k miles on them. Yeah, I know, I don't get out much.

I'm really starting to rethink this whole idea. What about a camper shell? Will I ruin my bed cover to remove it and store it? How do I get the camper off when I'm done, alone, and in the boonies? How do I get it on? I assume wherever I buy it will do that part?

Thanks! I do very much appreciate everyone's replies!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 PM

What would your use of the camper shell be? You've only got a 5 1/2 foot bed, so I don't think you could sleep in it, and of course, there wouldn't be any insulation. Have you ever thought of a pop-up tent camper or an a-frame camper? I had forgotten about the a-frame style campers. They are very light, and with just you and the dogs, you should have enough space to sleep and eat in the camper. Some even come with a flush type toilet.

Some of these are quite expensive when new, but their cost drops rather rapidly as used campers.

Campers Archive - Aliner

Old 12-11-2017, 01:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Camper shell / canopy OK (but not terribly useful on a short bed)

Overhead Camper is not a good option for 1/2 tons (no floating axles / Auto quality, not truck quality)

your 1/2 ton will be happy with most trailers <24 ft. (I prefer tandem axle),

Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Engineman 2/c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing