Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times

Advertisements

The Vixen model SE appears to have used the robust 3.8 liter Buick V6 engine and its automatic transmission. This engine was later Turbocharged and Supercharged in Buicks and Pontiacs for additional power. Has anyone retrofitted one of these more powerful engines into a Vixen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:27 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Very interesting. I have a 73 GMC Motorhome with the Toronado V-8 and FWD set up. Most of the engine upgrades with these are to move up to the Cadillac with a larger displacement. Adding blowers does not help much with low end torque which is what you need to pull hills. I would imagine you would see some advantage in acceleration with a higher numerical final drive without a big impact on fuel mileage. Probably lots of gear options available for you.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
As much as the ultra-compact Vixen motor homes intrigue me, they are effectively 30 years old. It is possible to buy a sub-30 foot, 3 year old Class A, for twice the price of a well cared for Vixen - and have more comfortable space as well as a unit with broader resale appeal.

I need to apply logic rather than emotion.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
depends....

30 yr old vehicles are pretty EZ to fix (tho a Vixen will need 'retrofits') and fun to adventure in.

You have a lot of choices, find one that fits you and you will enjoy for many yrs.

I personally would need a diesel, cuz I don't do spark plugs. (and prefer 15+ mpg on free fuel vs. <10 mpg with PURCHASED fuel.)

(I could mount a Vixen on a School bus chassis...) then I will not be welcomed into the 'Vixen purest clubs'

There are some really nice features with many MH, find your special combination, and enjoy the 'experience' (as well as the conveinence). That might be ANYTHING (new or old).

I like good BRAKES and handling and NO LEAKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing