Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,522,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Wow, I'm a class c'er. You just are not made for the life style. Better luck on your next venture,
What exactly is the lifestyle ?
I expected a lot more after shelling out close to 100K.

People...Don't be fooled, if you feel the need to RV
Take the rig for a test ride on a highway, bring it up to speed and see if you can live with the road noise, then while parked, turn on the HVAC and imagine yourself sleeping. I'm speaking from my experience with a new 2017 Class C, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by bgrasser; 03-01-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Thanks for being honest. I can't help but think all is not wine and roses in the RVing world, yet you'd think it was nothing but bliss to follow all the many Facebook pages, blogs, YouTube vids, etc. Sometimes I wonder when -- between keeping these records and reading/watching them online, anyone has time to actually experience RVing or if becoming a blogger/YT celebrity is the entire point of RVing, as with many Millennials who seem to consider this their "jobs"... At any rate, I'm sure it's not all it's cracked up to be and, with rigs costing as much as a house and sites costing as much as a hotel room these days, it would behoove anyone considering the lifestyle to take a thorough and realistic look at it. So thank you for sharing your (bad) experience.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:43 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
RVing is for the adventurous, those who are not easily confounded by the daily maintenance issues of a one-bedroom apartment on wheels. A few maintenance skills and tools come in right handy.

We had been very happy with our 31' sloop in our younger days. When the time came to come back ashore, we began researching RVs. Rented a 27' Class C and spent two weeks on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway, and found the 27' RV was easier to maintain and store our stuff than was our Newport 31. Yep, we were RV people.

Continued to research RVs for another year, then bought an Itasca Sunrise in 2004. It's been coast to coast and back, and we full-timed in it right after retirement, until we found this S&B. We had her remodeled in preparation for traveling through Canada to the Kenai Peninsula this spring. We refer to this as our "Scottish trip," because like Shakespeare's Scottish play, saying the name seems to jinx it. The last four years we've planned this trip and something happened that cancelled it. So we're not taking any chances.....

A few years ago, Spousal Unit thought pulling a trailer would be easier than driving a top-heavy Class A through the prairies, what with his Parkinson's and all. We bought a 33' Rockwood 2906WS. Gorgeous trailer, super easy to pull behind SU's F350. But we're not real comfortable in it, and our traveling cat hates it, where he adores the Sunrise. SU found out it takes much longer to prepare a trailer for departure/arrival -- the checklist we drew up for it is over three pages, where the Itasca checklist is only one. So we're chalking that up to a bad idea and selling the trailer.

Besides, we don't take the RV more than 300 miles per day, and I can easily drive that without my ankles swelling up. So we're back in our lovely Itasca, and planning the trip with our friends who live in a 40' Fifth Wheel.

It occurs to me that we now have some experience with Class A, Class C, pull trailer and Fifth Wheel. I have childhood experience with popup campers and a 30' Airstream trailer, and at least three homemade truck or bus conversions. Then all the tent camping and the various forms of sleeping outside curled around a rock or on the floor of a RATT rig during my Army days has definitely colored my preferences.

I much prefer driving my bedroom and bath to staying in a hotel. I know exactly who's been sleeping in my bed, and I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and get dressed before rushing to the campground public toilet and hoping I get there in time. The toilet is mere steps away.

If something should happen to Spousal Unit first, I would be very inclined to go with a small trailer and my F150 -- maybe join up with some other Texas ladies who pull highly decorated trailers alone and link up for good times. The trailer must have a good location for the kitty litter box and a good bathroom -- all else would be flexible for me. A trailer for a single person will work -- just didn't work out for the two of us.

bgrasser, the RV lifestyle is loving to travel without having to pack and unpack. It's enjoying both rural and urban locations, thanks to all the RV parks, but not paying urban lodging prices. Most people you encounter in RV parks are friendly and willing to help you if you have a problem or RVing question. It's a lower stress way of traveling, as long as you don't have to be at point A no later than X date.

RV life is not about the destination, but about the trip -- just like the difference between sailing and power boating: we sailors enjoyed the trip for its own sake, and we got to a destination when we got there. Power boaters were going somewhere to enjoy the destination. Cruising versus speed. RVers are cruisers.

It's not for everyone, but until one gives it a good try (like a two-week rental), one never knows.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Great reply; thank you so much!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
We have been full time for over a year in a Class A that is almost 44'. We tow a Honda CRV. Started in a pop up, then various travel trailers, then an old used class A until we bought our current dream rig. Sold the house, extra vehicles, furniture etc and are left with a 5X7 storage unit.

RVing is all about options. It is not one size fits all and even within the different categories there are many, many options.

Are you traveling alone? How many pets? Big dogs?

If you will only be traveling one year, and have no RV experience, I would start with a used gas C or A. A TT would be cheaper but if you don't have the tow vehicle and don't want to tow that will become a big obstacle.

Consider renting one. It is expensive but will give you a sense of the RV life.

Remember RVs only depreciate; they never gain value. Keep this in mind if you are buying for a year.

We went to a seminar on full timing when we were in the deciding phase. The speaker said something that stuck with me: every day you are spending money on fuel or campground fees.

Are you renting the house so you'll have some income but will move back into it before the move to the beach town? Or are you planning on rental income after retirement?

Have you been to the irv2.com forum? A lot of smart folks there.

Edit-I see from your other post you are traveling alone. Definitely go to the forum mentioned above. They have a section for solo RVers.http://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/

Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Above post is spot on.

There are a plethora of RV'ing dedicated sites with some of them even featuring the various manufactures and models of RV's themselves.

There is also a club out there called 'Escapees' who own/operate a number of services, including parks, mail forwarding services etc..

Joining any of these sites will show you the first example of how engaging and willing to help these folks are. Any related question you could possibly think of, there will be numbers who've dealt with it and be willing to answer you.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
SU found out it takes much longer to prepare a trailer for departure/arrival -- the checklist we drew up for it is over three pages, where the Itasca checklist is only one.

Would you mind sharing those checklists with us, please ma'am? I bet they would really help newbies and those of us who are just about to take the plunge. Thank you.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
We have been digging into this for quite a while now too. A few things we have learned:

Do not buy new. You pay a huge premium for new, and then you spend most of the first year or two at the dealer/factory waiting for warranty work. Let someone else work the bugs out and take the massive depreciation hit. With about 10% of what you save, you can have it professionally cleaned and replace pretty much anything that is worn or icky.

If you full time, you are going to have times where your house is in the shop no matter what kind you buy. We are deciding between 5th wheel and diesel pusher, but leaning heavily toward the latter. Two big issues for us: a motor home is much more comfortable for a dog to travel in, and you can bring any car you want as a Toad. I would much rather drive something fun than be forced to drive some hulking thing all the time. Another big issue for us is you can carry so much more stuff with a DP. With anything else, you are going to have to find ways to shave ounces off of everything to meet weight limits.

Do not buy anything made by Thor. Some of the companies Thor bought out, but has not completely taken over still have some quality, but they are going to have a lot of cheap parts bought with Thor's "massive quantity buying power"

Most people who I have encountered who planned ot do full timing for a year changed their mind. Some went for three or four years, some just kept going. There is too much to see to do it in one year and you do not want to be rushing all over the place. That is contrary to the whole point of the lifestyle.

Never pay full price for anything. We looked at a Entegra with a msrp of $750,000. The dealer told us we could negotiate to about $410,000. Poking around the internet we found the same rig brand new advertised by a dealer for $360,000. Also we have been told repeatedly, do not buy at shows. You can negotiate a better deal negotiating with a dealer during slower times.

Even if you buy used, do not pay full price for anything you buy to upgrade or replace. We were looking at some really nice drivers seats at one of the big supply places. They were just under $3000 for the set. In the back corner clearance room, they had basically the same seats, but last years version and a floor model for $450. The mark up in this business is crazy (except apparently it is all a game and no one pays the sticker price).

There is a ton to learn. To understand what makes some of the more expensive MHs better, you have to learn all about suspension systems, frame construction, drive train (for a motor home), the differences between weight ratings (CCC vs GVWR for example); insulation types, roof construction, types and sizes of water/waste tanks, heating systems, generators, types of batteries,. . . It goes on and on and on.

Many people say your first RV is just an experiment for you to learn what choices are mistakes so you can then buy your permanent one without making those mistakes. Others say that is complete BS and if you do enough shopping and learning, you can buy your permanent RV first time up. We are hoping to do the latter, but will be prepared to address the former situation if it turns out to be true.

We are by no means knowledgeable in this area, but those are some of the key points we have learned so far. Lots of people will give you differing and contrary advice. These things are things we have collected enough input to realize the majority of knowledgeable people agree with this.

Most people do not seem to want to tell you anything. All they say is "everyone is different, get and do what appeals to you and do not worry about what other people's experiences have been" Personally I think this sit kind of a dumb approach even if well intentioned. Had I listened to such advice, I would still be looking at cheaper, poor quality models thinking somehow I was finding a better deal. It does seem that brand and model really matters a lot.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Slowpoke, here's the departure checklist for the trailer. Note that a lot of this stuff can be done simultaneously, such as one person working outside and the other inside.

Interior gear stowed or locked down

Police outside area for any trash

Awnings in

Barbeque in bag and stowed

Mat, outside chairs, tables, etc. stowed

TV cable disconnected, coiled, and stowed in long storage cabinet.

Breaker in park electric box turned off. Electric cord disconnected, rolled, and stowed in long storage cabinet.

If using generator, turn off, disconnect, and allow to cool.

Water hose disconnected, emptied, end fittings connected to each other, pressure regulator in between fittings, and stowed in water cabinet.

Turn on water pump at outside shower hatch.

Put on gloves. Check hose to sewer connection (extensions, doughnut, stepped connection, bayonet connections for all joints)

Dump black tank, close valve

Dump gray tank

Walk hose to empty, close valve

Stow main sewer hose in plastic bin

Stow extension sewer hose in bumper, if used

Wash gloves at outside shower hookup, then stow. Turn off water pump.

Drain water tank to no more than 1/3 tank

Secure generator in truck bed

Check antenna down

Windows closed and locked (lower shades if needed)

Vents closed if needed

Place pets in carriers and put next to Tow Vehicle or inside if cold (leave doors open for air)

Lights off, furnace off, A/C off, water heater off, fridge on auto

Bring trash bag out

Slides in

Front window guard down and locked

Stabilizers up all the way

Put sleeve in hitch drawtite socket

Insert ball mount assembly in socket

Push pin through hole in socket and sleeve

Raise or lower trailer tongue as needed

Start Tow Vehicle, place pets inside with air on full

Back up to trailer hitch until ball is just under hitch

Line up ball and hitch

Set emergency brake before taking foot off brake

Lower hitch onto ball

Lock ball in hitch

Attach torsion bars left and right with clevis and cotter pins and raise or lower tongue as necessary

Lock torsion bars with L-shaped keepers

Store torsion bar pry bar in basement locker

Hook chains and break-away cable

Raise tongue jack up all the way

Chocks removed and stowed

Double check trailer jack leg up all the way

Ensure hatch doors are closed and locked

Steps secured

Lock trailer door

Put trailer keys in Tow Vehicle

Test lights with ignition on

Do final walk around

Ensure area is clear and move out

Last edited by Arkay66; 08-11-2018 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 08-11-2018, 11:38 AM

For the Class A, we started with this checklist, then modified it as needed.

RV Departure Checklist: Motor Homes

For example, we secure the cat in his carrier before closing the slides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing