Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:59 PM

840 posts, read 694,593 times

Advertisements

Hello, I had a smaller tent that I had used in cooler weather and would bring along a plugin space heater to stay warm (state campground with plugs). All of the bigger tents have vented roofs and even with roof fly on I'm wondering if this would stop the tent from being able to warm up. I never winter camp so I dont need a cold weather tent but do want one that can hold some heat.

Does anyone have experience using a vented roof tent with a heater ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 09:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Man, if you have electricity, I'd take an electric mattress pad and maybe even an electric blanket, too. Or just wrap the electric blanket under and over you. Toasty, toasty.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:18 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Nowadays, the Sunbeam electric blankets i've bought quit heating at the most inopportune times.
They just don't make things very well anymore...

I have a MR. Heater propane heater i keep here out in the country on side of the mountain, in case i need heat in an emergency (power goes out). It's a great heater.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Nowadays, the Sunbeam electric blankets i've bought quit heating at the most inopportune times.
They just don't make things very well anymore...

I have a MR. Heater propane heater i keep here out in the country on side of the mountain, in case i need heat in an emergency (power goes out). It's a great heater.
Also, tents tend to leak in the rain. We used a propane heater back when using tents, they are safe if you allow enough fresh air circulation and still do heat it up well.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
I've camped enough in all kinds of weather to know that it isn't my sleeping temperature that's the problem. I can stay warm while I sleep . But I don't want to get out of bed and do anything else in the cold so what is the point?

I lived for 17 years in central NY and now I live in NC so if I don't have to go outside when it's cold, I don't.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:37 PM

840 posts, read 694,593 times
I do agree that most good bags will keep me warm enough, I more so wanted to make sure that a vented tent could be warmed up before I was asleep or in the morning

Old 12-26-2019, 08:20 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I do agree that most good bags will keep me warm enough, I more so wanted to make sure that a vented tent could be warmed up before I was asleep or in the morning
For me, not enough, but I was prepared. My husband, who had camped in cold weather, told me to put the clothing that I would wear in the morning in the sleeping bag with me. My sweatpants, gloves, and the fleece jacket that I wore under my parka were warm.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:46 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Tents have no insulating properties to speak of. In cold weather I've added hot water into a couple of Nalgene water bottles and then put them inside my sleeping bag. Have a stove with filled water pot ready to go in the morning, ideally in an attached vestibule. Enjoy your favorite hot drink while you're still in the sleeping bag to help start the morning.

If you have time and a lot of snow try building an igloo sometime. Warmer than a tent, and much nicer if it's windy.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Heat in a tent in cold weather dissipates almost instantly. You need either a massively powerful source of heat or insulation to stay warm. You might get some heat retention if you hang a half dozen or so sleeping bag over your tent covering all walls, ceiling and doors/windows. Then with a reasonably powerful heat source you could probably feel some warmth in the tent. The better option is to heat a smaller insulated area (inside your sleeping bag). The easiest thing to do is get a better sleeping bag. They make some that you will be sweating if the temperatures get above Zero Fahrenheit. If you do not want a better sleeping bag, then get an electric blank. If you are concerned about reliability, get two. You are not supposed to sleep on top of them though. I have forgotten why that is.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
I haven't had any experience, but you want might to watch some youtubers doing it -

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...mping+mr+buddy
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...winter+camping

But I'd echo the people who said that if you have an electrical hookup, just go with an electric blanket or mattress pad. Much easier.

And then there's this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSpqcm9HLc

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-03-2020 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing