Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 05:51 PM

928 posts, read 970,751 times

Advertisements

Tell me about your experiences. Bring up the pluses and the negatives of the job or anything about the subject. I have been contemplating it for some time and would love to hear more before making a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 09:28 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
We kicked around the idea for retirement. First off you need a big trailer/rv as most place don't supply it. Next although I'm told it does not happen often you need to be prepared for a knock on the door about a problem group at 11:00 at night. I decided it's not for me but I can certainly see the appeal.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 PM

928 posts, read 970,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We kicked around the idea for retirement. First off you need a big trailer/rv as most place don't supply it. Next although I'm told it does not happen often you need to be prepared for a knock on the door about a problem group at 11:00 at night. I decided it's not for me but I can certainly see the appeal.
Yes, I've heard about that one too, "the problem people" from camp hosts I have spoken with previously. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:52 PM

131 posts, read 156,620 times
There's a good book on Amazon about this by Sunny Skye. I think it's called Tales of a Campground Host.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
From my conversations with and friends who have done..
1) it is not the campers, it is their guests who are the problem
2) it can be necessary to 'hand-carry' when allowed
3) Great is you can get a repeat gig, (if it is a nice one)
4) Look for more remote places (less daily turnover from campers)
5) Getting a 'paid' gig can be better usually with NPS concessionaire (less pay, but more free time)
6) Gigs with Dept of Interior (doing technical work such as water / pest sampling, wildlife tracking can add more meaningful content and a whole lot less hassle / responsibility

Several hosts I met do Mtns / AK in Summer and SE USA in Winter, nearly all eventually leave NFS and find places in NPS, BLM

Old 12-30-2018, 02:32 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
..............Several hosts I met do Mtns / AK in Summer and SE USA in Winter, nearly all eventually leave NFS and find places in NPS, BLM.................
Can you elaborate further on this comment?? Thanks.

I would be curious to know the reasons why??

Old 12-30-2018, 02:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Can you elaborate further on this comment?? Thanks.

I would be curious to know the reasons why??
Just the hassle (danger) factor of various campers in National Forests. (sometimes the homeless / squatters, back-country illegal growers, people avoiding the law, lots of youth / parties on weekends.)

NPS and BLM and Army Corp all have dedicated police / security support for camp hosts, and the campers know that... so are less likely to cause problems, or even show up if they are wanted by the law.

80% of the time thing are fine, but can be very unnerving when the wrong crowd shows up and you are on your own. I do not know the stats of Camp hosts who have been threatened / forced to leave, but I would expect it is not just a few.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Thanks for the reply.

The Forest Service also has a Law Enforcement arm that also provides support to camp hosts.

The Forest Service and BLM face similar issues, but the BLM recreation sites are much fewer and more concentrated than Forest Service sites.

I did oversee the campground host program for a National Forest and was always disappointed at the quality of our hosts and the fact that the agency did not do a good job with volunteers.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
When I retired from Oregon Fish and Wildlife, I did creel census at Hills Creek Reservoir near Oakridge, Oregon. I remember one horrible event when a camper shot another camper at Packard Creek campground. I found the dead guy, tried to call the State Police, but was out of cell phone range. I contacted the camp host to tell him what had happened and said I had to drive far enough to get in range. The camp host tried like hell to convince me not to call the State Police, but call the FBI. He also picked up the alleged killer hiking down the highway. I have to admit the guy had balls, but no brains. It all worked out in the end, but I had enough of creel census and slid into retirement at that point. My wife had to remind of some of the details, I guess I sort of blocked it out of my brain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing