Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,486,181 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience or own one of these two bumper pull trailers? In the next year thinking of buying one and have narrowed it down to one of the two. I need a lightweight trailer and maybe there are other brands that are better? I did like the Casita until I went inside one of them and just too small. I want about a 19 or 20 foot max. I just would like feedback.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We considered both of those, before we bought a Keystone Springdale 202QBWE.

The R-Pod and the Hummingbird are both really solid, well built trailers, but watch out for two things. First, most of them (and other brands) under 20' only come with a wet bath, not ideal to have the shower and toilet together. The other is the bed, up against the walls. I actually tested at home trying to get to bed crawling over my wife, and it's not for us. We ended up with a 22.5', dual axle, but it still only weighs 4,000 dry, and the dual axles smooth out the ride when towing. We can walk around the bed on both sides. Look at the Keystone Hideout 179LHS, just over 21' and has the walk around bed and dry bath, weight 3,720, that's less than the Rpod 180 20'.

I actually thought ours was 20' when we bought it, based on the name with 202 in it, but it turns out that there are two standards. When 3 digits as in our case the 202 is the square feet inside. When there are only 2 numbers in the model such as X23B that's the length. Normally the length does not include the tongue, only the living space length. I measured and found ours is 22.5' front wall to back bumper, but just under 25' counting the tongue.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
I have a Freedom Express 192RBS. It's about 4000 lbs empty and gross weight is 5900 lbs. It has a residential size queen bed (60x80), oven, microwave, vented hood, TV that's wired for cable, radio, and a lot more. It works great for my wife and I.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

The R-Pod and the Hummingbird are both really solid, well built trailers, but watch out for two things. First, most of them (and other brands) under 20' only come with a wet bath, not ideal to have the shower and toilet together. The other is the bed, up against the walls. I actually tested at home trying to get to bed crawling over my wife, and it's not for us. We ended up with a 22.5', dual axle, but it still only weighs 4,000 dry, and the dual axles smooth out the ride when towing. We can walk around the bed on both sides. Look at the Keystone Hideout 179LHS, just over 21' and has the walk around bed and dry bath, weight 3,720, that's less than the Rpod 180 20'.

I actually thought ours was 20' when we bought it, based on the name with 202 in it, but it turns out that there are two standards. When 3 digits as in our case the 202 is the square feet inside. When there are only 2 numbers in the model such as X23B that's the length. Normally the length does not include the tongue, only the living space length. I measured and found ours is 22.5' front wall to back bumper, but just under 25' counting the tongue.
I looked it up ad the Keystone Bullet looks very similar to the R-Pod. Very nice looking. I want to find trailer model with the kitchen in the back. The R-Pod had a model 179 that had that. I wonder if the Keystone does as well
Thankyou for your input into this

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a Freedom Express 192RBS. It's about 4000 lbs empty and gross weight is 5900 lbs. It has a residential size queen bed (60x80), oven, microwave, vented hood, TV that's wired for cable, radio, and a lot more. It works great for my wife and I.
That sounds nice. What is the length of it?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
We looked at them, they are 22’6”, slightly lighter than our Springdale, but only 36 gallon fresh water tank (ours is 60). We might have bought one but they were about $4,000 more, and we really liked the rear dining with 3 windows, the rear huge.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I looked it up ad the Keystone Bullet looks very similar to the R-Pod. Very nice looking. I want to find trailer model with the kitchen in the back. The R-Pod had a model 179 that had that. I wonder if the Keystone does as well
Thankyou for your input into this

Is the springdale model on the Keystone website? I will look it up

Old 11-07-2018, 07:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:

19 feet.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Is the springdale model on the Keystone website? I will look it up
Yes, they will show all of their models and floorplans, but keep in mind that the prices vary by dealer. Ours was about $22,000, but we paid only $14,999.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:53 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That is very similar to the Keystone Hideaway we have. Love that huge u-shaped dinette at the back, most of the places we camp we have a great view.

Having had a single axle trailer before, I knew I wanted a double axle trailer this time around so that a single tire failure wasn't quite so exciting.

But I think the OP is looking for one of the really light-weight small trailers that can be towed without a full-size truck and those are mostly single axle.

Here is an article with links to a few different trailers:
https://www.roamingtimes.com/2017/12...s-3000-pounds/
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
That is very similar to the Keystone Hideaway we have. Love that huge u-shaped dinette at the back, most of the places we camp we have a great view.

Having had a single axle trailer before, I knew I wanted a double axle trailer this time around so that a single tire failure wasn't quite so exciting.

But I think the OP is looking for one of the really light-weight small trailers that can be towed without a full-size truck and those are mostly single axle.

Here is an article with links to a few different trailers:
https://www.roamingtimes.com/2017/12...s-3000-pounds/
Yes I am looking for a lightweight trailer, which is why I was looking at the R-Pod or Jayco hummingbird. Thank you for your link

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing