Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 04:53 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

We had a laundry list of stuff we wanted our regular RV guys to check out.

The inverter has been flaky, randomly going into an error mode for no reason we could see. We were afraid it would have to be replaced, which would probably run $700-$900. RV guys did some sort of reset on it and they say it's been running flawlessly for days now.

The electric step makes horrible grinding noises -- needed to be lubed, so they did.

We suspected the TV antenna was non-functional but it was getting signal inside their "barn".

For several years there has been a thumping noise coming from the roof when driving on the freeway. We were mystified. Turns out it's a cable that connects the solar panels that wasn't secured properly.

I'm going to pick it up today. Very happy the damage to my wallet won't be as bad as I feared!

Do you do your own repairs? Or do you have RV guys, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
We have a lifetime warranty that requires an annual inspection for $99, and we take it to the dealer where we bought it. So far the only thing wrong (and not covered) on our 24' trailer was some resealing of the roof edges, at about $150.00. Next time I'll buy some tubes of Dicor and do that myself.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I use a national RV specific model 'users' group GTG "get-together'

There are a few areas in USA where owners have shops (and lifts) and frequent 'tune-up' parties / Pow-wow where they help / mentor...

The Sprinter group is pretty active (IIRC)

Old 12-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I use a national RV specific model 'users' group GTG "get-together'

There are a few areas in USA where owners have shops (and lifts) and frequent 'tune-up' parties / Pow-wow where they help / mentor...

The Sprinter group is pretty active (IIRC)
Are you the one who has the Rialta or was that someone else?

I don't see many of those on the road any more.

We're both still working full-time, but when he retires and I take my show on the road I would love to get together with fellow Sprinter aficionados.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:40 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Are you the one who has the Rialta or was that someone else?

I don't see many of those on the road any more.

We're both still working full-time, but when he retires and I take my show on the road I would love to get together with fellow Sprinter aficionados.
There are a lot of Rialta's still on the road. 2 things I didn't like about them.

1) Low interior height. If they would have added a foot more, they would be great. Then again I am 6'4

2) The Volkswagen engine is not really reliable and costly to repair.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have over 300k trouble free miles on VR6's (Rialta engines) and 3m miles on evil VW diesels (which my Rialta will become if the VR6 ever dies) I have (4) extra VR6's in the shop ready to install if needed - ('Free' spares from Diesel conversions of B4V (wagons)). These are for when I prefer a 52 mpg 'mini RV'. I enjoy the 1250 mile range between donut shops / fuel stops)

the silly automatic tranny in Rialta's...(who would ask a German auto engineer to design and Automatic transmission..?). only in the USA.../ NA... These trannies got full paid recalls in Germany!, not in NA.

Gotta add a $100 aux cooler or drop $5k into tranny every 150,000 miles

Rialta User Group has a cooler kit and does these by the dozen.

Interior height, The low headroom helps me to enjoy a 20 mpg class C under $20k, so I just stand under the skylight (which is positioned above the sink / counter). I spend VERY little time indoors while camping.
For commuting, it is ok to duck while rousting around the interior. Not perfect... another foot taller would have been nice. But was designed to fit in a std garage and parking space. (Which is nice when stealth camping (100% of the time for me))

Old 12-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
There are a lot of Rialta's still on the road. 2 things I didn't like about them.

1) Low interior height. If they would have added a foot more, they would be great. Then again I am 6'4

2) The Volkswagen engine is not really reliable and costly to repair.
Ha. Wait until you get a Sprinter.

They're reliable but my last Service B was about $1,000. OTOH, when the blower motor went out, the dealership replaced it for free.

I'm hoping service will be cheaper once we move to Phoenix. Everything is insanely expensive in the Bay Area.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The inverter has been flaky, randomly going into an error mode for no reason we could see. We were afraid it would have to be replaced, which would probably run $700-$900. RV guys did some sort of reset on it and they say it's been running flawlessly for days now.
Turned out the inverter was never the problem.

The problem was a relay that sent engine power to charge the coach batteries. The inverter was freaking out because the coach batts were low on charge.

We won't be able to get the part to fix this until after the new year, so I guess in the meantime if I want to use the microwave I'll have to find a place where I can pull over and fire up the generator. Needs to be run periodically anyway.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Ha. Wait until you get a Sprinter.

They're reliable but my last Service B was about $1,000. OTOH, when the blower motor went out, the dealership replaced it for free.

I'm hoping service will be cheaper once we move to Phoenix. Everything is insanely expensive in the Bay Area.
It might be a bit cheaper in Phoenix for the labor but parts are pricey for sprinters everywhere. I like idea of a sprinter rv but repair costs scared me away.

I have a good old 350 motor in my RV and repairs and parts are very reasonable. MPG is so so.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
I have heard of folks putting Buick V6s into Rialtas, but I never had one, so I can not speak with authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing