Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm about to be tasked with moving 1500 vinyl records from LA to NYC. I've been researching all the possible ways to do it and they're either extremely expensive or not safe enough for me to be comfortable.

If you aren't familiar with the fragility of records:

-They are physically fragile, even if packed well in the proper sized box, if the box is thrown around/falls/has something on top, it can damage them

-They are heat sensitive so driving in the late spring/early summer is dangerous without some form of temperature control.

My thought was to rent an RV with my buddy and put all the boxes in the main area of the RV, and then drive it as quickly as we reasonably can from one side to the other while blasting the AC during the day (and blocking the windows from sunlight)

If anyone has any better idea I'm all ears... but if this sounds feasible, I have NO idea where I'd get started with finding a rental, and if anyone has tips for me I'd seriously appreciate it.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times
Am familiar with records and am thinking (unless you find a moving company you can trust) that this is your best option. To make it more worth your while, I’d consider bringing along anything else you are taking on your move that is fragile or otherwise vulnerable.

BTW, depending on the type of records you have, you may find nowadays that most of the music you want is readily available for free at places like YouTube. It’s worth considering if you ever find you need to lighten the load of personal belongings at some point.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Am familiar with records and am thinking (unless you find a moving company you can trust) that this is your best option. To make it more worth your while, I’d consider bringing along anything else you are taking on your move that is fragile or otherwise vulnerable.

BTW, depending on the type of records you have, you may find nowadays that most of the music you want is readily available for free at places like YouTube. It’s worth considering if you ever find you need to lighten the load of personal belongings at some point.

Do you have any idea on where I should start looking for types of transit, or any tips for actually doing this?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:05 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,620 times
Renting a minivan is going to be a lot cheaper than renting an RV. Fold down the back two rows and they may fit?

Old 04-03-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Renting a minivan is going to be a lot cheaper than renting an RV. Fold down the back two rows and they may fit?

It's gonna be probably ~15 boxes plus I'd like to take some other stuff like my TV and electronics

Old 04-03-2019, 12:02 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
Do you have any idea on where I should start looking for types of transit, or any tips for actually doing this?
U-Haul might be an option for a van.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
U-Haul might be an option for a van.

U-Haul by the mile cross country would be absurdly expensive, plus I can't air condition the cargo part of the van which is the whole reason I wanted to do it myself.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:24 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
U-Haul by the mile cross country would be absurdly expensive, plus I can't air condition the cargo part of the van which is the whole reason I wanted to do it myself.

A rental RV is going to be very expensive, too, for a cross country trip. Usually they come with a number of "free" miles per day, typically 100 miles, then mileage is charged after that, about 30 cents a mile. That's in addition to the base rental charge. There may be a one-way rental charge.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
A rental RV is going to be very expensive, too, for a cross country trip. Usually they come with a number of "free" miles per day, typically 100 miles, then mileage is charged after that, about 30 cents a mile. That's in addition to the base rental charge. There may be a one-way rental charge.
Might be cheaper to buy an older RV do the move and then sell it. There is a risk of course. If it breaks in some major way you are in trouble.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Do you guys know of any sort of mini-van type situation that would be cheaper to rent and would have storage in the back area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing