Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,607 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever lost the person (or group) they used to enjoy camping with. I recently lost my dad to cancer, who I would go camping with every summer, often multiple times a summer. We didn't do anything too challenging, just car and tent camping, and we had a nice conversion Sportmobile van we used in later years.

I am renting a cabin for a week this summer, we were supposed to go there together but I have decided to go by myself. Am also considering trying out solo tent camping to see if I like it. (or if I can even handle it)

I wish there was a meetup group for people who are in this situation and don't want to lose this part of their lives just because they've lost the person or people they used to do it with.

Have you ever been in this situation? Did you try to go it alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
I think there are meetup groups for this kind of thing depending on where you live. Do you have anyone who might want to camp with you as a friend, maybe a short weekend trial or something? Many places I go allow two tents per campsite so you never know.

My primary camping buddy is my husband and it would be hard to find a replacement. I have camped with others before but no one consistently.

My sister camps on her own regularly but I enjoy the company of others as part of the camping experience.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Sure there are meetup groups for camping! I'm in a 'hiking' meetup, but we do lots of things, kayaking, camping, beer-drinking. The companionship is good. It isn't the same as family, but 100% of the people in our group are single and we don't want to camp alone.

I am capable of camping alone but i don't enjoy it. If I'm going to be alone I'd just as soon stay home.

I'm sorry for your loss. You have lost more than a camping partner. It will take some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing