Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times

Advertisements

There always seems to be at least manufacturer that makes their stuff to last for decades. Used prices reflect that of course.

Could it be that Airstream owners tend to take care of their trailers?

I like the timeless feature. Most people will have no idea how old it is. But the prices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 02:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
They are very cool, but they have their drawbacks. Unlike most RVs, they don't depreciate much, in fact some of them have gone up in value. If you are seriously interested, explore here - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community

They are made better and last longer, on average, than other trailers. But some owners put a lot of money into them, too.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:44 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Newer airstreams are not as quality made as the older ones. I believe they were bought out and quality went down but the price is still high for one.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:38 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I have seen a number being used as permanent homes on the Navajo reservation in Arizona.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They are very cool, but they have their drawbacks. Unlike most RVs, they don't depreciate much, in fact some of them have gone up in value. If you are seriously interested, explore here - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community

They are made better and last longer, on average, than other trailers. But some owners put a lot of money into them, too.
The only real drawback for me would be the aluminum can be virtually destroyed in a horrific hail storm. Hail is not unusual in Colorado. We get a bad storm every few years on average. I suspect much of the the American west is somewhat susceptible to hail. Don't know about the rest. We had hail in S Dakota as well - not as big as in Colorado though.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:40 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Look at Escape Trailers out of Canada or Casita in Texas if you want something reasonable that doesn't depreciate much. Moulded fiberglass , no leaks and pretty bullet proof. I've owned both, have an Escape 21 and used to own a Casita 17. I made money when I sold the Casita after owning it for 3 years.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 AM

402 posts, read 369,395 times
The other problem with Airstreams is they still have cheap plywood floors that rot out. Airstreams are full of seams so it's easy for a joint to fail and water to seep in, down to the floor, where it happily eats the wood floor. And yes, hail. There's an Airstream in my outdoor storage facility that looks like a golf ball. I remember hearing that replacing just one aluminum panel was $$$, I don't want to know how much reskinning most of a trailer would cost.

Oliver is another molded fiberglass option.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM

Airstreams are classics and so forth. But yea - there are some issues with aluminum and seams.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Airstreams are classics and so forth. But yea - there are some issues with aluminum and seams.
and HEAVY... (for your light duty tow rig).

I am not keen on light SWB (Short Wheel Base) tow rigs. Have seen a lot of Toyotas upside down with trailer attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing