Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 AM

4 posts, read 2,083 times

Advertisements

How and where to register a car in the states, if you dont live in the states? I know a car isn't an RV, but RV'ers are more likely to know the best way to do this.

What if you are a US Citizen, but live outside the states, but want to keep a car in the states for when you return for vacation, and need to keep it registered?

Most states want you to register the car in the state where you live, but what do you do when you dont live in any state anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 03:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtr View Post
How and where to register a car in the states, if you don't live in the states?
Simplest? You need a friend who will allow you to use their address.
The rest is about having enough money for the costs and fees related.

Ideally... they'll help you find/buy a suitable vehicle that isn't too knackered to suit and serve
and then after your holiday is complete they'll help you to sell it at the best price too.
(I've seen this done a few times within a motorcyclists group I was a prt of)

Old 10-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Where will you be entering USA?

MT is the favorite among RV / plane / boat owners. (sales tax free, low registration rates, no inspections required, lifetime plates available for some vehicles.) There is a whole industry to support this method... You create a MT LLC which owns registers and insures the vehicle and an 'agent' in MT does this for you. ~$500 - $700. or DIY for $200.

There are other sales tax free states, but they may not be so easy. (requirements for residency / insurance. anti-scam laws...). Oregon got hit very hard with motorhome scams, so they are leary to do this. (residents of other USA states illegally attempt to register in MT to avoid taxes and fees. You won't be doing this for 'tax evasion', so should be simpler. )

There are web sites to help you through this.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:32 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Just pick a domicile state and use a mailbox service.
States like South Dakota are popular because of minimal taxes and regulations. Texas and Florida are very common for that use as well. I guess most any state probably allows for this but some will be much cheaper and easier like the ones I mentioned.
There are a lot of full-time RVr’s that operate this way.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Some states will require you to show a local Driver's License before they will issue plates.

I would avoid that hoop.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:45 PM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
You must establish a residence in the State you want to register your vehicle in.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
You must establish a residence in the State you want to register your vehicle in.
Not required (and not possible for foreign traveler to USA needing to buy a car for temporary timeframe.

The MT vehicle ownership LLC's mentioned do not require a MT residency. (but do require a MT 'registered agent' (i.e. mailbox).)

I have LLC's that own vehicles in states that I will never become a resident.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:14 AM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not required (and not possible for foreign traveler to USA needing to buy a car for temporary timeframe.

The MT vehicle ownership LLC's mentioned do not require a MT residency. (but do require a MT 'registered agent' (i.e. mailbox).)

I have LLC's that own vehicles in states that I will never become a resident.
Sorry, I should have said you must have a legal address in the State you wish to register your car.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:31 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
A bit of a problem, I think, if you've got no friends in the US. I suppose then, you have to bite the bullet, and hire.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 PM

Or have a USA LLC own, insure, register the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing