Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 01:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My 35 foot travel trailer has a fake fireplace in it.

Provides non-propane heat for taking the edge off at the campsites. I travel to campsites because I need 110v for my CPAP machine that I require in order to sleep. And my wife operates her business out of it while we are camping (she has a medical billing/practice management/credentialing business)

My travel trailer is a hotel room that I can take places that there are no hotels, or where the hotels won't take my 3 dogs.

You are calling me and mine absurd. I realize the internet is anonymous, but is being insulting such a valuable goal?
!) surprisingly, you don't need a big RV with hookups in order to meet your need for a CPAP.

2) yes, I think it's absurd to have a fake fireplace in an RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
!) surprisingly, you don't need a big RV with hookups in order to meet your need for a CPAP.

I'm not going to run a generator for a tent. And I'm not taking 3 dogs in a tent, either. And I'm not letting my wife run her business with printers and computers out of a tent, either. I've been in small campers and tents and we've decided that this works best for us with all that we do.

Quote:
2) yes, I think it's absurd to have a fake fireplace in an RV.

So you're going to double down on being insulting. Wonderful choice, Mr Judgy McJudgerson.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
It's gotta be something in the air. This is the second forum I've been on today where people are being insulting.

Whatever happened to live and let live? To each his own? And I forget the exact wording about beating a different drum, being a different drummer. And then there's following your own dreams.

I could go on but you get the gist.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
We had several popups over the decades. It was great when we were young, as I got older I found the bed which consists of a 1" pad over plywood to be very uncomfortable. We are using a tent with Walmart cots and it's much more comfortable, what I miss the most is a door instead of having to unzip the tent.
Ours came with 5” foam cushions. We added a 2.5” memory foam pad. Then between the cushions and the plywood base, we inserted a wiry mat for air circulation to prevent mold. We sleep in comfy rectangular sleeping bags which can also be used as a blanket or to sleep on when too warm.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You make some very good points here but who is “she”?

I started my trip by heading up to the Pacific NW but I didn’t want to rush and I really found that I fell in love with places like Nebraska. Also, the good thing about places like NE or KS is that they don’t get many tourists except those shooting thru on their way to someplace else, so they’re not jaded and you will get a much friendlier reception. I have a traveling friend who make a hobby of going to such places.

But yeah, I don’t think you learn these things by research so much as experience or talking to people.
Quote:
So whar you headed?
Outta the way places! (Like NE, SD, WY, ID, CO (non tourist areas)

Plan to head to BC and Alberta for late spring, then down through MT and WY as I need to be in Colorado by Jun12, Probably leave van in CO at friends (July and Aug), then take it south through the fall Aspen Mtn colors (Late Sept) on way to Balloon Fiesta (ABQ in early Oct), then Carlsbad, back to Big Bend and on to Texas home (near SA) by Thanksgiving. Probably do a Gulf Coast / southern Civil War and Mississippi sites until Dogwood season. Need to be back to PNW by Mid May (gotta mow the grass...) + Rhodies are gorgeous, and summer can't be beat in PNW USA. (Fresh berries / salmon...) Probably will need to leave the van at friends in VA or GA, then come back for fall colors. (Plan to buy a vintage car on rust free west coast and drive Rte 66, then sell to someone in the rust belt.) That should cover the trip expense and get me back to my van for fall season.

Trust me this will all be VERY cheap!!! Likely 95% Stealth camping, I will bring along a 100mpg FUN vintage Motorcycle for exploring local sites, Starting in PNW, everything will be DOWNHILL!!! (south on the map) I am working on a plan to increase mileage to 20mpg +, but that will be a challenge without tail winds (likely when headed south! (under the jet stream)) It does really well at 60mph and below, so I may be the 'pokey-little-puppy'.

I need to get some advice on Spanish immersion C-D / MP3, I should have plenty of time!

For Early 2020... These $100 Qantas fares are very enticing, Campervans there (AU and NZ) are quite unique and popular. I will BUY next time as the $3000 / month rent was a killer on my RTW budget. Fortunately, Camping is usually FREE!!!' Campermate app is really nice! Real time updates on campgrounds and wildlife sightings.

Too many great trips, too little time! Should have prolonged my 2nd retirement at age 35.

BTW: NE and KS are GREAT, I have so many favorite sites there!!!
This year we did 'State Fairs' for fun. (Fly-drive since I have a free companion pass)~100 free flights! a bundle spent on rental cars. Some were quite fun! (fairs and cars). Don't miss Indiana State Fair!!! good (fairly priced) Ice Cream, great Pioneer Village!, free Chocolate Milk!

Old 11-20-2019, 12:20 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Nearly everyone could write a similar article about how they dreamed about:
-- owning a small busyness
-- living in a warmer climate
-- adopting a child
-- fixing up an old house
-- rescuing a pet
-- going back to college
-- having a sailboat

until it smacked them in the face.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I need to get some advice on Spanish immersion C-D / MP3, I should have plenty of time!
When I was in Chile recently I used a program on YouTube called Spanish With Paul and I thought it was excellent. There are plenty of free videos on YouTube and the course is $100 and totally worth it. I’ve tried several things in the past and Rosetta Stone was the worst and Paul was the best.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
I'm not going to run a generator for a tent.
No gasoline generator needed. Just a rechargeable battery of some kind.

Quote:
And I'm not taking 3 dogs in a tent, either. And I'm not letting my wife run her business with printers and computers out of a tent, either. I've been in small campers and tents and we've decided that this works best for us with all that we do.
I said nothing about a tent.

Quote:
So you're going to double down on being insulting. Wonderful choice, Mr Judgy McJudgerson.
I'm allowed to say what I think. Just as you are.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:04 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
You make some very good points here but who is “she”?
The author of the article in the OP - her name is Maria Lamanga.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:17 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
The author of the article in the OP - her name is Maria Lamanga.
Actually the author is writing about a couple, not herself. And yes, the woman, Lisa, is talking about the destination, not the journey.

I think it may be because of the daughter and the need to travel during school vacations. And the wuss husband. Banged his head so he wouldn't sleep in the van again.

Hopefully the woman, Lisa, will try it again when her daughter is older and school is not an issue, either alone or with her grown daughter.

I can't say too much though. It didn't even cross my mind until I was 65. I'd never heard of it and was looking into tiny homes, not van life. I still am not ready, a year and a half later and am waiting for my lease to end.

Who knows? Maybe I'll chicken out too. I don't think I will, but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing