Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

I actually like watching videos of different people living the van life. I find it fascinating because it's clearly nothing I find remotely attractive about it, yet some people seem to make it work.

Sure it beats being homeless and if you had to live in a van out of sheer necessity. But as the article discusses many things pop up that people don't anticipate.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

Quote:
Traveling the country, driving past cornfields and mom-and-pop shops until you reach the Grand Canyon. Pulling up the trunk, kicking off your shoes and cracking open a cold one, while dangling your feet into the dusty summer air. Sleeping under twinkling lights. Seems like a picture-perfect life, maybe even one built for Instagram, right?

It’s known as #vanlife — that is, traveling, or even living full time, in a van — and it’s seductive. At least it was for Lisa, a 43-year-old mother of one who works in pharmaceuticals, and her husband, a filmmaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 09:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I'd like to just do short trips in a van, mainly, with some weekend camping trips, but keep my apartment. One of the reasons I'd like to have a van with a bed in it would be even just for long drives, so I could lie down and ice my bad neck and ankle. I'd like to have a little freezer for ice packs. When I need a break driving or before going home after visiting a museum or whatever, I could lie down, ice my bod, maybe eat or drink something I brought. If the weather isn't severe, I could take my dog and she could hang out in the van while I'm taking a tour, etc.

I do also like the idea that if anything happened to my apartment, whether I had to move out because of an earthquake or whatever, I could just stay in my van. Kind of as an emergency back-up.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Saw this article a couple months ago, written by and for kids / 'recreational users' (whimps) = blog bait.

Nothing about commitment and reality and certainly not the 'stick-to-it' of those who easily did this while their age in our beater VW campervans (50 - 60 yrs ago)... no radio, internet, cell phone, or AC, lots of repairs, lots of nights in strange places. BYOTools / spare parts. Need a new engine? no money = Fix it (again).

In this article..
1) Bump your head?
2) I give up,
3) I'm done,
4) Give me a 5 star hotel before I start crying. (again)

BTW, I love traveling in a van for reasons posted above (naps, flexibility, on-board food / drinks / toilet, stay where you land / when you find a beautiful spot. (Any spot that does not prohibit camping (New Zealand is GREAT for this!)) FSC sticker = you can stay about anywhere. (freedom camping). Capermate is a great app (for NZ), please make one for USA!

Old 11-10-2019, 04:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
But as the article discusses many things pop up that people don't anticipate.
How about refused to consider or prepare for despite being advised about?
(hint: To properly consider and really prepare will add costs that will pretty much negate the whole scheme for most)

Old 11-10-2019, 05:37 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
We have a small class C motorhome and spent almost 3 weeks living it and traveling the west. It was loads of fun and could have stayed out longer if we had the time. Not retired yet.

It was nice to have a home to come home to. When we retire, we will head out for a month or two journeys but will always keep a home base.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Hmmm.

They bought a van, tried camping in it a few times, didn't like it, sold the van.

Proving that it's not for everyone, something I'm sure many of us already knew.

And that's all it proves.

Also, I suspect this couple of never having been camping before. IMO, the FIRST question anyone should ask themselves in contemplating van life is "Do I enjoy camping?" Because a van is a lot like a tent and not much like a house/apartment.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-10-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about refused to consider or prepare for despite being advised about?
(hint: To properly consider and really prepare will add costs that will pretty much negate the whole scheme for most)
I’m just curious as to what you consider “proper” preparation to be? I’m wondering because you always say things that leave me shaking my head and wondering where you got your info. We’re talking van life right? Not gigantic RV life, right?

Costs for me to hit the road....$5500 for my van plus cost for the trip down to Arkansas. $40/mo for the storage unit for my household items, gas for the trip, food, most which were things I would have bought anyway. I’ve always enjoyed camping so already had equipment. So how expensive do you think this would be? If you don’t feel the need to go stock up on a bunch of new stuff you don’t need, then you can do this quite cheaply. Also, some folks actually find work on the road. I met a young man in Quartzite last January who was working in McDonalds and he was able to earn enough in six weeks to fund his travels for the entire year.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:59 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
We bought a used 27 ft motor home and thought we would travel for a year. After a month it was enough. We have done many 2-4 week trips and are now selling it. I would rather be in a motel.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I kinda regret not doing this when I was younger. Even just a retrofitted sedan would have worked well enough for a single guy like I was. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it for half a year at least...

That said, I could never do it now. Not with my family, kids, and most importantly, our need for comfort and quasi-luxury. I'm too spoiled and too old to deal with minor annoyances. Also to some degree it is a bit unsafe, or at least less safe than traditional living/housing.

I do have someone close to me who has been living in a van by choice. Not traveling, just living. Working a really good, high paying job, but in a very high cost area and trying to sock away money quickly. Going on about 6 months now, but I wonder how long he will last.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I'm looking forward to it. So many places I haven't seen. So many things I haven't done. I'm sure it will take getting used to but, sometimes my heart aches when there's a beautiful sunset and when I watch videos of the desert. Or the ocean. Or the mountains.

As for being safe, during the recession when things started getting really tough, there were a rash of burglaries in my neighborhood. Talk about being scared! I didn't even dare have my windows open at night. The burglars were ruthless.

At least in a vehicle, you can drive away if you don't feel safe.

I realize there may be safety issues but there are safety issues in a house also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing