Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Actually the author is writing about a couple, not herself. And yes, the woman, Lisa, is talking about the destination, not the journey.

Hopefully the woman, Lisa, will try it again when her daughter is older and school is not an issue, ....
School is not an issue... ours never went to school and it didn't seem to hurt them any. (They were FT college by age 16, and still traveling on breaks, and taking traveling summer jobs)

We were 'van traveling' before they were out of diapers... waiting until they can climb in and buckle themselves into the car seat would have been easier on parents.

Kids enjoyed planning a lot of our trips, and doing 'fresh market' daily shopping in foreign countries. (with foreign currency.) In my experience the kids handle it far better than the parents, and kids bring a wealth of energy and new relationships and adventure to the journey.

Yeah, Lisa's hubby needs a hard hat, or she could just drop him at the Hilton on her way to the beach campground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 06:32 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Meo, it's your life. You don't have prove anything to us.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:01 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Meo, it's your life. You don't have prove anything to us.
I know. But I am learning so much from everyone. If I didn't have to research the answers, I wouldn't find out as much as I have.

This is almost like being back in school less half the research work.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:52 AM

I just watched a sweet build out of a schoolie. This is the type of vehicle I'll be looking for. I'll get to use some of my furniture, my desk looks like their kitchen counter setup, and it will be like a small studio apartment.

I won't be buying anything until I've done the majority of my sight seeing travels because of gas costs, but once I am ready to go slower and just move with the weather, this is what I want.

Dreaming big sc. Nice build out.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have a few friends who have done skoolies, usually Alaska bound or home school families who need office space. Skoolies are often used for their happiness with free Homebrew fuel. They ride rough, but last forever, and use common truck parts. Economy would be stuck at 10-12 mpg (diesel). Airport shuttle is also a decent conversion vehicle. You want a long wheelbase for easiest ride comfort. Less 'rocking chair' movement on highway with expansion strips.(as in I-80 through Nebraska)

Old 11-26-2019, 04:47 PM

I'm definitely thinking shuttle, rather than a full size schoolie. Big enough to turn into a studio, with plenty of windows. I just can't live in darkness, such as a box van.

I also realize gas mileage will not be what I'm used to with the Cube, which gets 35 mpg. That's why I figure I'll do my exploring in the Cube and when I'm ready to go slower, get the home that uses more gas. Maybe even do what some people do and store the schoolie and travel in the Cube during the hot months.

La Posa long term visitor areas intrigue me. $180 for 7 months. Then the New Mexico state pass for $225 a year. Also the America the Beautiful pass and I believe there may be one more.

All of these together are less than one months rent. It cost me so little in gas to drive between Minnesota and Arizona, I was astonished. And I so seldom fill up the Cube now, I can go months between fills.

I suppose a lot of that is because I lived 9 miles from town in Minnesota so would bundle all driving and only go once a month or so. I did do the occasional Amazon also.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:09 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Wonderful choice, Mr Judgy McJudgerson.
Please don't ever use this expression again.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2019, 09:28 PM

354 posts, read 415,843 times
I watch on You Tube van dwellers and full time Rver's. Most people full timing find their own tribe to hang out with. I would say four years of full timing is the average max of time people are on the road and then they get "burned out". A majority of the people go to Arizona in winter and summer West of the Rockies. Many subsidize their income by creating You Tube channels.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:31 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
We have a smaller trailer (the smallest I could find with a "walk around" queen bed) and we've considered longer cross-country trips but what we've both realized is that neither of us likes driving a truck+trailer very much. We're content to stay within a 2-3 day, 5-6 hour driving day range of home, staying at state, national, county, Forest Service parks. RV parks are okay for overnight stops on the way to a destination, but not really somewhere I'd prefer to stay.

As far as the "comfort" argument - if you don't get a reasonable night's sleep on a bed you find comfortable, you tend to be a cranky camper, not a happy camper - or at least that describes me. I decided quite a while ago that I am too old to sleep on the ground, no matter what kind of air mattress I had.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd like to just do short trips in a van, mainly, with some weekend camping trips, but keep my apartment. One of the reasons I'd like to have a van with a bed in it would be even just for long drives, so I could lie down and ice my bad neck and ankle. I'd like to have a little freezer for ice packs. When I need a break driving or before going home after visiting a museum or whatever, I could lie down, ice my bod, maybe eat or drink something I brought. If the weather isn't severe, I could take my dog and she could hang out in the van while I'm taking a tour, etc.

I do also like the idea that if anything happened to my apartment, whether I had to move out because of an earthquake or whatever, I could just stay in my van. Kind of as an emergency back-up.

A friend of mine that recently died from Cystic Fibrosis either owned a van or rented whatever so he could carry his generator and breathing machine. He would go to state parks etc with good scenery and park every 4 hours to do a treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing