Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Vintage!
Retro!

Higher priced rental!

There is a nearby campground that specializes in renting 'retro campers' (Stationary / permanently placed).

Some of the stories people have after renting are treasures of memories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 11:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Vintage!
Retro!

Higher priced rental!

There is a nearby campground that specializes in renting 'retro campers' (Stationary / permanently placed).

Some of the stories people have after renting are treasures of memories!
Yes, but they have been restored to "like-new" condition, with modern wiring, appliances and plumbing.

https://www.the-vintages.com/

Old 01-15-2020, 11:33 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Talked to insurance company. Sounds like a commercial insurance for the house and RV VRBO will be do-able.

I'm having trouble finding a decent 20-footer. As they come on the market they, even the run-down ones priced above Nadaguides, are snapped up within a couple of days. Looked at a dirty, water-damaged 22' Mallard at $4500. It sold 2 days after being put up.

However, there's a couple of nicer 30-ish footers which are priced well below nada, that aren't selling. I looked at a nice 28-footer. Seemed mechanically good, the interior was immaculate and the roof looked well-sealed with no wet or soft spots. Full spacious bathroom across the back end. $1000-3000 below nadaguides. Still hasn't sold.

I think that the old 20'ers in the sub $5000-range are being snapped up by nearly-homeless. The bigger RV's seem harder to sell. Probably because of the more difficult driving and parking requirements. Also, it's harder to come up with the cash. People who have an extra $8000 lying around, and who want a 30'er are maybe willing/able to finance a fancier or newer vehicle.

This is making me lean toward a larger vehicle, since the idea is to get comfortable living space and something I can rent easier. I can probably squeeze something 28'-30' in. I certainly would have got more for my money had I bought the larger of the last 2 RV's I looked at.

I did look at a 1974 RV that was super-retro, but it was just too much of a project to bring up to even basic liveability and cleanlieness standards. I'm not looking to put 6-12 months into building a 150/night boutique retro rental experience. Aiming more for the sub-100 crash pad or basic beachside accomodation.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:07 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Talked to insurance company. Sounds like a commercial insurance for the house and RV VRBO will be do-able.

I'm having trouble finding a decent 20-footer. As they come on the market they, even the run-down ones priced above Nadaguides, are snapped up within a couple of days. Looked at a dirty, water-damaged 22' Mallard at $4500. It sold 2 days after being put up.

However, there's a couple of nicer 30-ish footers which are priced well below nada, that aren't selling. I looked at a nice 28-footer. Seemed mechanically good, the interior was immaculate and the roof looked well-sealed with no wet or soft spots. Full spacious bathroom across the back end. $1000-3000 below nadaguides. Still hasn't sold.

I think that the old 20'ers in the sub $5000-range are being snapped up by nearly-homeless. The bigger RV's seem harder to sell. Probably because of the more difficult driving and parking requirements. Also, it's harder to come up with the cash. People who have an extra $8000 lying around, and who want a 30'er are maybe willing/able to finance a fancier or newer vehicle.

This is making me lean toward a larger vehicle, since the idea is to get comfortable living space and something I can rent easier. I can probably squeeze something 28'-30' in. I certainly would have got more for my money had I bought the larger of the last 2 RV's I looked at.

I did look at a 1974 RV that was super-retro, but it was just too much of a project to bring up to even basic liveability and cleanlieness standards. I'm not looking to put 6-12 months into building a 150/night boutique retro rental experience. Aiming more for the sub-100 crash pad or basic beachside accomodation.
I see several of the small old class Cs around here. Almost all of them have roof problems. The good is most have almost no miles on them and most people will give them to you if you will just take them.

I have a friend that got one for free a couple years ago. After letting it set he gave it away about a month ago.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 AM

Saw a nice 1983 Minnie Winnie today. Well-kept. A little water damage (but I'm parking it under cover)

Looked at it with the whole family, and decided that's what I want. 1980-1990's era 20-22', 350 small block V-8, all plumbing needs to work plus the range (or at least some sort of cooktop) They're going for 4000-5000 around here. They sell quick, but lots come on the market. Like 1-2 a week.

Now, I've got another problem. To prep the space it's going to park, I need to trim back a tree (including cutting off a pretty significant limb), move a planter so I can line up totally square to drive in through the gate. My posts are 9' apart. My gate doesn't open all the way on one side (blocked by the house, making it 2-3 inches narrower). I can probably get the opening to 98-100" A Minnie Winnie is 8' wide (95.5"). That is a TIGHT squeeze. I may need to move a gate post and buy a new gate.

Anybody have experience squeezing an RV through a gate that with only 2-3 inches of clearance on a side? Do-able? I think I can line it up and come in square if I dig out some planters and trim back a tree. Much preferable to putting in a whole new post and gate.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM

If you are gonna move this thing more than 1x / yr... Give yourself more space, hire the limbs and post work done if necessary.

2- 3" = Too big of risk of scraping the side of MH, or more likely busting off a plastic 'outsticker' like a water fitting, door catch, vent, hinge... Rear tail swing past axle, vehicle leaning... anything can 'gotcha' and it won't be easy or cheap to fix.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:57 PM

Yep. Well that's what I figured. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:16 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Saw a nice 1983 Minnie Winnie today. Well-kept. A little water damage (but I'm parking it under cover)

Looked at it with the whole family, and decided that's what I want. 1980-1990's era 20-22', 350 small block V-8, all plumbing needs to work plus the range (or at least some sort of cooktop) They're going for 4000-5000 around here. They sell quick, but lots come on the market. Like 1-2 a week.

Now, I've got another problem. To prep the space it's going to park, I need to trim back a tree (including cutting off a pretty significant limb), move a planter so I can line up totally square to drive in through the gate. My posts are 9' apart. My gate doesn't open all the way on one side (blocked by the house, making it 2-3 inches narrower). I can probably get the opening to 98-100" A Minnie Winnie is 8' wide (95.5"). That is a TIGHT squeeze. I may need to move a gate post and buy a new gate.

Anybody have experience squeezing an RV through a gate that with only 2-3 inches of clearance on a side? Do-able? I think I can line it up and come in square if I dig out some planters and trim back a tree. Much preferable to putting in a whole new post and gate.
Totally doable. Just go very slow, and square as you said. Make sure you start out square. Can you take that gate off the hinges? Is that 95.5 width including mirrors? Do you have any help to back you in? How long a distance?

A wild idea. Since you want to come and go; an easy in system for by yourself is needed.
Wire two cameras. one watching the left front wheel and another to the rear so you can watch the outside left rear tire. You will paint a narrow red line the length of the backing area. Use the cameras to get each tire centered and then back slowly keeping the red line center of the tire. Make the cameras with a quick removal mount.

Or. Spotter cones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g0wc44x0MQ

Old 01-25-2020, 05:20 PM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
I back my 8' wide 5th wheel through a 12' gate and even that feels tight.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:50 PM

'Tail swing' will kill you and an RV (trailer or MH) and a short WB schoolie with rear overhang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing