Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 11:39 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I back my 8' wide 5th wheel through a 12' gate and even that feels tight.
We used to take a 12 ft disk through a 10 ft gate. I can't remember how. It is just a matter of practice and confidence.

Once with a tow truck, I had to back around a 90-degree corner with a car hooked up and then after 100 ft, I hade to make another 90 degrees turn and then back fifty feet and then another 90 to back into the garage.
I was a parts counter guy and then got a tow truck job. A great bunch of guys at the Dealership and they were just testing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
I measured again this morning. The posts are actually 8'4" wide. WTH?! Who builds such a narrow gate!?

Good news is that the fence was built with a gate that was originally 10' wide. So I don't need to replace much fencing, I might even be able to hang a gate from the old existing post. When I bought the house, a brand-new steel gate had been (shoddily) installed. I guess the old one must have been falling down and the owners decided to cheap-out and replace it with a smaller gate. Weird, because I would think it costs more to dig and pour the footing for an entirely new post than it would to buy a larger gate.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:24 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I measured again this morning. The posts are actually 8'4" wide. WTH?! Who builds such a narrow gate!?

Good news is that the fence was built with a gate that was originally 10' wide. So I don't need to replace much fencing, I might even be able to hang a gate from the old existing post. When I bought the house, a brand-new steel gate had been (shoddily) installed. I guess the old one must have been falling down and the owners decided to cheap-out and replace it with a smaller gate. Weird, because I would think it costs more to dig and pour the footing for an entirely new post than it would to buy a larger gate.

My long/steep dirt/gravel logging road driveway has a 10' gate. It's been there 30 years so the bolts & nuts on the hinge end are frozen. The gate is dragging so i put a 4" rubber spring loaded gate caster in black, on the end of gate to make it easier to open & close. $36.15 is too much. I bought it at Home Depot for less then that.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

I have driven my 1989 Pace Arrow 37' Class A Motor home through the gate numerous times.
& my 1978 American Clipper 21' Class C Motor Home, also.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:40 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My parents did this with a 5th wheel after they got too old to use it for camping. They also built a "carport" over it so as to not worry about roof maintenance, which is a big issue with older RVs of all type. With all family being in other cities/states it was a great guest house, used several times a year. One tip is to not leave the waste tanks open to the sewer, wait until at least 2/3 full, or at least after being used a few days, then drain and flush. Otherwise the hose will build up hard deposits inside. Check the tires for age before moving it, they can blow out if too old and brittle.
Not just the hose but the bottom of the tank. Yuck trying to clean that. Yep, you can keep the grey tank open if you want but black tank closed until you are emptying. If you keep both closed until emptying then empty the black first then the grey to clean the hose out. Take it around the block every few months and run the generator periodically for a few minutes even though it is on house power.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:29 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Anybody use a hand-cranked trailer caddy? How about an electric one?

I've come full circle to seeing the benefits of a trailer (lower maintenece, registration, smaller) but I still have a parking problem. I need to pull the trailer in forward over about 40 feet of pretty flat, paved space, including passing through a gate with about 4" of clearance on a side. I cannot do this with a vehicle attached. I don't want to drop >$1,000 on a fancy caterpillar trailer caddy.

I've found online positive reviews of a $500 hand-cranked trailer caddy and some cheap $300 chinese junk with the same idea but including an electric motor that can be hooked to a lead-acid battery. Anybody ever used one to move a ~4,000# trailer a significant distance?

I haven't settled on a Class-C vs a Trailer. I'm just going to go with whatever shows up for sale and seems to be the best value/most suitable after the summer ends.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,687,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Anybody use a hand-cranked trailer caddy? How about an electric one?

I've come full circle to seeing the benefits of a trailer (lower maintenece, registration, smaller) but I still have a parking problem. I need to pull the trailer in forward over about 40 feet of pretty flat, paved space, including passing through a gate with about 4" of clearance on a side. I cannot do this with a vehicle attached. I don't want to drop >$1,000 on a fancy caterpillar trailer caddy.

I've found online positive reviews of a $500 hand-cranked trailer caddy and some cheap $300 chinese junk with the same idea but including an electric motor that can be hooked to a lead-acid battery. Anybody ever used one to move a ~4,000# trailer a significant distance?

I haven't settled on a Class-C vs a Trailer. I'm just going to go with whatever shows up for sale and seems to be the best value/most suitable after the summer ends.
A friend has one of these he moves his boat and TT around with. He hooks it up to his riding lawn mower.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6987_200696987

Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I'd go for the remote control tracked caterpillar like MH movers use.

It would be cool to have a huge crane that could place it where you want it... Including high up in a tree. Me neighbor has a monster crane. It is very fun and handy to have around the house. I think the boom is 70 or 80 ft tall (and can expand). It can lift over 100,000#. That should cover it. Insurance and inspection is a tad spendy.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:12 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
My sister in law did this to add a third bedroom to her house.

We will not visit until we can stay in the house.

It's an eyesore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing