Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 02:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 767,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Are we being reasonable or selfish? Either way, it's a happening thing.

Is there going to be a summer for much of the country?
More power to you. It sounds like you've got the logistics figured out, just be smart about sanitizing and exposure. Have a safe trip!

As far as summer activities, seems to be hit or miss at least so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 03:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
We're tent camping at a privately owned campground this weekend. Much more concerned about the weather than the virus.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:07 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
We went back to Townsend this past week-end and Little Arrow campground was full. People tubing, fishing, hiking and getting together to eat around the campfire in the evening.
Looked like normal times to me.
ymmv

btw -- our Oklahoma trip got cancelled

Old 05-26-2020, 04:56 PM

1,421 posts, read 756,867 times
So ... the 11 night trip I outlined in the beginning of this thread has come and gone successfully. It was easy enough to keep our distance at least as well as we do when at home. Over 11 nights we made 3 fuel stops (plus another when we got home) and went to grocery stores 3 times.

Neither of us really wanted to come home, but we both had doctor's appointments. Now that those are done, we're leaving again this Sunday. This time we don't know when we're coming back. We are hiring lawn & pool services, suspending cable and locking the house and walking away. I would not be surprised if we don't come back before September.

I'm going to try to get us into the mountains in North Carolina or Virginia and park us for a couple weeks at a time. This is all new for us, how much it'll cost is pretty much guesswork and luck. It's going to be interesting.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:46 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Spent Thursday through Tuesday at Gettysburg Battlefield Resort. Easy to stay socially distant and wear masks when dealing with the front office. Regular activities there are suspended, but that really doesn't matter much yet. Going out again in June, but not sure where, yet. And going back to Gettysburg in July.
Attached Thumbnails
Cautiously Venturing Out In This Time Of Plague Upon The Land-rockwood08.jpg  

Old 06-20-2020, 02:26 PM

Tomorrow will be the start of our fourth week on the road. We’ve camped in FL, GA, SC, NC, and currently VA. Next week we move on to WV.

It’s genuinely easier to isolate than at home. Grocery runs are literally the only time we’re around multiple other people.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:44 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Tomorrow will be the start of our fourth week on the road. We’ve camped in FL, GA, SC, NC, and currently VA. Next week we move on to WV.

It’s genuinely easier to isolate than at home. Grocery runs are literally the only time we’re around multiple other people.

How do you manage to refuel without being around other people?

Old 06-21-2020, 11:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
CFN ? 57,000 locations, never have to see a soul.

I brew my own fuel, so don't need to be in contact with others.
On long road trips I use CFN or very distance diesel pumps between 4-6am.

I only need to top off every 1250 miles, so typically not a lot of fuel stops.

Pay at pump, Disposable gloves, wipes, using paper towels on pump and washing squeegy, handles + re cleaning / sanitizing after fueling.

Contaminated surfaces are very low at Covid Transmission (with proper handwashing).

Of course I also use my homemade. ($0.05) CopperZapper before and after contact near others (as I have used with international travel for several years. ). Especially effective against virus'

Old 07-14-2020, 06:09 PM

We are now in week 7. We’ve been in the same campground in Virginia over 2 weeks but will leave Thursday for Rhode Island for a couple weeks to be in the neighborhood of family.

We’ve abandoned our plans for Maine. Just too complicated with ever changing Covid rules. I think once we leave RI we will head back west. Rural Virginias, Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, those are all sounding good as long as the weather holds.

Neither of us wants to return to Florida anytime soon.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:32 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Quote:
We are now in week 7. We’ve been in the same campground in Virginia over 2 weeks but will leave Thursday for Rhode Island for a couple weeks to be in the neighborhood of family.

We’ve abandoned our plans for Maine. Just too complicated with ever changing Covid rules. I think once we leave RI we will head back west. Rural Virginias, Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, those are all sounding good as long as the weather holds.

Neither of us wants to return to Florida anytime soon.
This sounds great. I saw a post on Facebook where a person was turned away in Tennessee. I'm still at my brothers house in Minnesota and will be here until September. Then I plan on heading back to Arizona and BLM land. People are having a lot of success in finding camping there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing