Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 09:24 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times

Advertisements

New here. Been camping with friends. Time to look at purchasing our own RV. It’s just for my wife & I. I’m thinking a used Class C. What would you recommend? Budget it 50K +/-

I know there’s plenty of maintenance and other options to consider.

Again, new here. Starting to do my research. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 10:46 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Hi there. I don't have a Class C, we have a travel trailer, but when we did our researching before buying I watched tons of videos on YouTube from Josh the RV nerd. He does a fantastic job of explaining all the features of every RV, and he has Class C's that he does walk throughs for. By the time we went to the showroom I already had narrowed it down to three different travel trailers that I was interested in and I knew just about as much about each model as the salesman just from watching the Josh the RV Nerd videos. So that's my suggestion.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:32 PM

Ohhh, forgot. As the OP, that’s 50k +/- for a Used class C

Old 06-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Size of vehicle?
Size of family / pets / travelers?
Number of miles / yr?
Number of 'nights out' / yr?
Terrain?
Weather?
Layout?
Camping interests? (boondock or 'resorts')?

This and more, all matter (a lot) in your decision.

For me ((2) at most travelers... If I didn't already have my 20mpg small class C... Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
I would find a used diesel 22- 24'. But would likely upgrade to a small diesel Class A (Probably a Safari). Cuz I like FREE fuel and I intend to drive a lot!

I 'stealth' camp 80% of the time (of course). So I must keep a very low profile. (of course). Can't ruin my image.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:49 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Starting to do my research. Thanks in advance!
Are you still living in and spending your weekend & vaca time in New England?
How many different places do you actually go to for weekend getaways?
How often do you have extended time off from work?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:27 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
We have a fifth wheel trailer with a bunkhouse for the grandkids. Although I do have a diesel pickup, we've left our trailer in the same mountain campground since we bought it--in storage. And with 4 slides, we're spoiled to the room our 36' trailer provides.

Travel trailers and fifth wheels are not easy to move, but would be better suited for weekends only and for those who go to places like Central Florida for 3-4 months in Winter.

Are you planning on traveling from place to place--on an odyssey?

If so, a Class A or Class C would be the way to go. The gas Class A's are actually a better value than the smaller Class C's.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:11 AM

7,782 posts, read 6,394,423 times
I have seen many folks buy motorhomes because they "don't want to tow". Then they find out that it is a PITA to break camp just to go sightseeing or to the store for groceries, and then set it all up again when they get back to camp. That is why we have been very pleased with small travel trailers.

Slide-outs are something else to malfunction. We saw a large travel trailer being towed on I-10 in Arizona with the slide-out extended. It had apparently died in that position.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you still living in and spending your weekend & vaca time in New England?
How many different places do you actually go to for weekend getaways?
How often do you have extended time off from work?
I like to keep all my options open. Probably take RV in New England

Old 06-11-2020, 11:32 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,327,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have seen many folks buy motorhomes because they "don't want to tow". Then they find out that it is a PITA to break camp just to go sightseeing or to the store for groceries, and then set it all up again when they get back to camp. That is why we have been very pleased with small travel trailers.

Agreed, having been in motorhomes and now travel trailers.

Quote:
Slide-outs are something else to malfunction. We saw a large travel trailer being towed on I-10 in Arizona with the slide-out extended. It had apparently died in that position.

And they couldn't use the manual crank to get it back in? Never have seen that in 30 years of dealing with RVs (including nearly a decade of working at an RV dealership/RV repair shop).

Not saying I've never seen one stop working, just that I've never seen one that couldn't be hand cranked in or out when the motor stopped.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

I just had the same exact conversation with my wife. Totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing