Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 12:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

I know somebody who is about to be homeless and is considering buying an old RV and living in it on the east side in Seattle. His target budget is $1000 (!!) and he says he can move it around so he does not violate the 72-hour street side parking law. He does not have a valid driving license either so probably a friend has to move it for him.

I don't have any experience on these matters, but I'm doubting his plan is going to work. My main concern is that he ends up in more trouble than he already is - from not being able to maintain that life style (he's 50, not in great health, not very employable), to losing the RV, to being fined, to things I can't think of...

Does his plan sound reasonable? If not, could you please share points I can relay to him so he makes an informed decision?

He'll have to raise money to get that RV, and if it's not going to work, it's better to use the money for something sustainable...

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 07:59 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
This particular plan is unlikely to work.

I'm assuming that when you say RV, you mean one that has an engine. (The definition of RV includes travel trailers.)

RVs can be more inexpensive than rent, but a $1000 RV? I wouldn't touch it. In fact, I doubt you could find one that would run for that. He MIGHT be able to find a small, non-leaking travel trailer for $1000, but he'd still have to find a way to move it every three days.

Does he really have one or more friends who would be willing and able to move him every 3 days? Because the city WILL tow him if it isn't. However, if it is his only home, he does have some protection. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...uck-is-a-home/

I think if I were you, I'd get in touch with a local homeless advocacy group, and see what options might be available to him. It doesn't sound to me as if your friend/relative is totally capable of doing that for himself. Kudos to you for trying to help.

Last edited by jacqueg; 06-23-2020 at 08:54 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Possible, but...
Not viable for that person.

RV living requires skill and responsibility.
1) it will break (very expensive to have it repaired, cheap to do yourself, but you must have a place and tools to perform the work.)
2) it must be registered and insured. (That is not cheap)
3) it must be moved, and this person would have to find and pay someone to do so every 72 hrs. That will not come cheap.
4). I've volunteered with homeless, this is recipe for more trouble and expense.

Find a sustainable solution for this person.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
Homeless people are often mentally ill, you’ve met one of them.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:58 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
If he is seriously unable to work and it can be proven, he should apply for social security disability. It may require a lawyer.

Otherwise, a homeless shelter is probably the best solution.

Why doesn't he have a valid driver's license? That should be addressed if he wants to live in a vehicle. I also agree it will be next to impossible to find a working vehicle for $1000. It would also have to be insured which I doubt could happen if he can't prove he has a driver's license.

At the very least, he should talk to a homeless advocate and ask for advice, as jacqueg advised.

Last edited by meo92953; 06-23-2020 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
The friend just needs to go find a good homeless shelter or union mission to move into.

Old junk rv's need to be sent to the dump. They're not inhabitable for humans.

My homeless daughter has been living free in a more modern fifth wheel trailer. But it's out in the country.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:15 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
If he is short of money, the first thing to do is get out of Seattle for a better cost of living.

I didn't go there for that reason and never regretted it.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Many before have tried it, some have lasted a while, others are dead. The $1,000 Motorhome is potentially a death trap. Besides water leaks, hidden mold, gasoline leaks, and propane leaks, the wiring may have been chewed by rodents and that can cause a short and start a fire. Not a good idea, I have seen unfortunate old RV disasters here in Seattle.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:39 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
What we saw in the Bay Area were decrepit RVs with homeless who were dumping their raw sewage into the street drains. Think about that for a moment. Even if the RV has intact tanks, at some point they fill up and then what?

Most cities don't want to tow these vehicles (I use the term loosely) because it costs a fortune to have them disposed of safely.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
If there was an RV with someone living in it outside my house, you can bet I'm calling the cops.

You just can't park an RV in a residential area without raising red flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing