Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 10:02 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,227,494 times

Advertisements

Background: I and my wife are nearing 60. We are into outdoors - and do tent camping. So far, 2-3 times a year (though we enjoy it), partly as we have professional careers and also we are able to hike and bike right where we are. Our careers are flexible enough that we can take Fridays off often enough, but happens less often than we like. There are multiple factors - but the drag of prep for a 2-night tent camping trip is one part of that. We are active (hiking, biking) and in good health so far. We also live in an area with a lot of attractive nature around us. So, we (I am more enthusiastic than my wife who is in agreement but more objectively assessing pros and cons) have the thought that a RV/trailer (likely trailer) might be a good addition to our lifestyle as we move towards retirement and an early phase of retirement where our health is hopefully good (though the retirement is a few years away). Our intended use is driving to the national parks and national forests - not really boondocking but mostly non-commercial campgrounds (sometimes with limited facilities) as we prefer to be in the nature. A couple of additional considerations: (a) My wife is an eco-conscious person - so we need to keep the size down, and (b) we are financially comfortable - conservative in how we spend the money but it is more a consideration than a constraint. Finally, we are a car family and will need to buy a towing vehicle and trailer (or a class-B).

Rough Plan/Idea: We will only be able to put it into place 8-12 months from now at the earliest.
  • First, less than 20 ft (17 ft?) trailer vs a class B camper (like Sprinter conversion): Both are attractive. I am thinking trailer for the following reason: The hikes we like to do and areas we like to visit often require a 4x4 high clearance type vehicle. [That said, these are mostly dirt roads with ruts - rather than sand dunes and we might be overestimating the high clearance part.] So, it might be better to have a trailer that we can park and then use the towing vehicle by itself to get to trailheads, etc. So, that's the idea we have been discussing.
  • With that - I have been eying the coming Ford Bronco with a 6-cyl engine, though its specs are not yet announced. What goes into this choice is that (a) we are not really a truck family (at least my wife has some resistance to the idea), and (b) it should give us some 4x4 and off-road capabilities. As a 2-person family, we are somewhat resistant to the huge SUV if it can be avoided. That said, it is a lighter vehicle (thinking 4000 lbs range but waiting for the specs)...
  • In term of trailers we are thinking of: Casita (16/17ft), Escape (17 or 19 ft), Airstream Basecamp (16 ft), Airstream Nest (17 ft). The trailer weights ranges from 2500 to 3400 lbs and the gross (loaded) weight ranges from 3000 to 4000 lbs.

Advice: Any and all advice is welcome. Some questions in our mind are:
  • Towing Vehicle: I am sure we will make sure that the towing capacity is well above the gross trailer weight. But, I have picked up that just because the vehicle can tow the weight doesn't mean it is a good idea - and the weight of the vehicle in comparison with the trailer is a factor. I get the concept but not about how to apply it. What is the acceptable or desirable ratio of vehicle weight to trailer weight? Assuming a gross trailer weight between 3-4000 lbs, what is the towing vehicle type or weight we should consider as comfortable. I am also not clear about the trailer weight, loaded trailer weight (just adding 600 lbs), tongue weight? In terms of driving experience, it is mainly limited to cars and (rental) SUVs and occasional RV or moving truck.
  • New or Used:Our thinking is new for the following reason: We are not knowledgeable or talented in practical repair, mechanical or electrical. So, if it requires more than 5 minutes with a screwdriver (exaggerating but only a little), we need to take it somewhere. But, we are good at following the correct usage and maintenance instructions. The prices of new seem within our capacity. Also, we aren't the most skilled at trading - so often lose a little both buying and selling. So, buying used and then trading up isn't the best fit for us.
  • Knowledge of trailers and options: The trailers seem to come with gazillion choices - and we understand only a few of the terms and even fewer implications. [I should note that neither of us knowledgeable in these things - software is my speed, literature is my wife's ]. So, when the options about the hitch, anti-sway equipment, battery etc. come up - we aren't totally clear what's an unnecessary upsell and what's an important decision we might end up regretting. So, we need to educate ourselves about trailer/towing 101 (for the dummies).
  • Wet bath vs separate bath and toilet:As far as my wife goes, the bath and toilet (limited as they are in small trailers) are the #1 requirement. All except one choice (Casita) feature wet bath. Any idea how good/bad that is. [We understand that the usage might be limited in non-hookup situations, but it is an important factor.]
  • Timing:It is clear that our usage will be relatively light in the first 2-3 years (as we continue our careers) and increase once we retire, provided our health holds up. My thought is that this will require an investment either way - and we are better making that sooner. Does that make sense?
  • Trailer Parking:We will need to rent parking for trailer. Our condo garage will not fit it. The fees I have seen seem to be of the order of 1500-2000 /yr. Is that about right?

Sorry about the long post, but hopefully it gives you the relevant background to advise us. Many many thanks!

Last edited by kavm; 06-25-2020 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 10:45 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Get yourself an off-road designated trailer. Rockwood and Flagstaff make them (same trailer different names) or get a small popup and convert it to an off-road.

I have a 12 foot popup that I converted to an off road trailer that I used to tow with my Hummer to places in UT that surprised many tent campers when I popped up over the slick rock steps.

I have the trailer on the back end of the Hummer in this picture....

And even if not towing with the Hummer, I pulled the trail up over that hill, down into that valley with my GMC.

So that would be my suggestion, but it is not for every one. It took some money and a lot of time to raise that trailer to get the clearance needed.

First thing was to get someone to reposition the spring brackets from under the axle to top of the axle. Some call this an axle flip but that is wrong. The axle on a trailer has an intentional bend in it so the brackets need to be position 180 off to the top. Lucky for me the dealer had done it before and did it (for a price).

Then I replaced the springs with heavier rated and longer shackles. This increased the height of the trailer from the ground, but does not give any extra clearance for axle to ground.

Then the tires were replaced. Original tires size was 175x80x13 with a 24" tire diameter with the replacement tires being 215x75x15 with 28" dire diameter. So the new tires raised the trailer another 2" but importantly gave an extra 2" of clearance from axle to ground. And also allowed me to go into a Light Truck tire. (Not a lover of trailer tires they tend to cut easily and if pulling off road, rocks can get very sharp. However, you cannot replace a trailer tire with a passenger tire of the same size cause trailer tires have a higher weight rating at a particular size than a passenger tire.

Just some ideas....

Old 06-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Thank you! Very good information. Appreciate the pointer on the tires. I had included Basecamp X in my list as it claims some off-road capability. Looks like your geography is similar to ours... Beautiful pictures!

Looking at the website for Rockwood... We are thinking of a hard body trailer partly as we are afraid of wild animals (mean bears). With our plans including WY, MT, AL and Canadian rockies, we would sleep better in bear country with hard body camper...

Old 06-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Backcountry fisher friend has always used <20' and pulled behind 1/2 t (both 5r and bumper tow.) (ID, MT, WA, BC, AL)

Currently using the Dodge v6 (pickup) and pulling a 17' Lance (high clearance)
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/ (or similar)

Previous had a Nash
https://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trai...sh/nash-17k-2/

Next yr planning to DIY Ram van conversion (high top) and will still tow the Lance to 'base-camps'
https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-promaster.html

He has a very well outfitted canopy on pickup with slide-out bed / storage / inverters / coolers, and cabinets / rack for everything (OCD, but very nicely done)

Personally... 40+ yrs camping / road trips, I much prefer a van. Too bad the 4x4 versions are so hard to find. Many come from ex ambulance service (backcountry). I equip all my rigs (including 52 mpg TDI wagon) with a motoraide / HW heater type device with outdoor shower (and efficient cooler)

Storage is very location dependent. for covered... (hail, wind, and sun protection) ~ $100 / month. When on long trips I often use Tuscon Airport to fly home and feed the farm dog. (covered airport parking for $3 ./ day)

Old 06-25-2020, 01:23 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
We had popup trailers for many good years when the kids were growing up. After I retired we bought another one. Our kids had grown up here in Florida but both were now living in Washington state. We made one trip out there and back, but found the setting up/knocking down every night got very tiresome. We stopped in Yellowstone the second week of September and temperature went down to -21F. We Florida folks were big time cold. The following year we had 16' stick built travel trailer.
I was 65 when we moved to a retirement community, Sun City West in Arizona. There was a very active RV club and we went on many trips, as far as Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas in Mexico to Waterton National Park in Alberta. We went to a number of national parks on our own usually on the way north to see the kids and grandkids. At age 80 we moved back to Florida, made one trip up to the Great Smokey Mountains and the sold the trailer. We were definitely slowing down.
Storage in Arizona was $125 a year, here it was $660. I had a quote of $100 a month up in Washington from one place.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:50 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
We have a small Jayco Jayflight trailer. We opted for a travel trailer because it's easier to drop the trailer off at the campsite, or to disperse camp, disconnect and drive off and be able to park easily at trailheads, a nearby town for eating out or supplies, or those high clearance areas in the back country that you mentioned. There's more freedom when you can disconnect the trailer and go, and then use the trailer as your base camp.

We tow our trailer with a Honda Ridgeline. If you're not familiar it's a Honda Pilot body, with a truck bed. It can pull up to 5,000lbs. Our trailer weighs 3,500 I think. No issues pulling at all, even up the passes. The thing we like about the Ridgeline is that it has all the comfort of a Honda pilot, super smooth ride even pulling, large comfortable cab for those long trips, and then the storage of both the truck bed, and also the trunk underneath for groceries or extra camping supplies etc.

We bought a trailer after years of tent camping because we moved to the Rocky Mountains where there are grizzle bears and there is no way I'm going outside to use the potty outside with grizzlies about. So hardsided trailer with a bathroom was a must. I didn't like the wet bath, so we got the seperate bath/toilet. No regrets.

We bought new. I was looking for a used trailer but the small ones are hard to find where we live. Everyone wants a giant one, we wanted a small one, so to get what we wanted we bought new.

I don't know that I'd think of it as an investment, I mean you're going to lose money buying it, even used. You'll never get back what you paid for it. However the memories our family has made in our trailer are priceless. The places we've seen all over the country, breathtaking views, wild animals galore, so much more, it's just worth it. We make it a priority though. Every summer we plan multiple smaller trips, like weekend getaways, and then one bigger trip that's a longer drive and a longer stay. Last year we went to the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. The year before we did Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase Escalate National Monument. We also Mount Rushmore, Badlands N.P. and The Devil's Tower. We've gone on so many places that we wouldn't have gone to if we did not have our trailer. If you buy it, use it as much as you can

Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
We have a small Jayco Jayflight trailer. We opted for a travel trailer because it's easier to drop the trailer off at the campsite, or to disperse camp, disconnect and drive off and be able to park easily at trailheads, a nearby town for eating out or supplies, or those high clearance areas in the back country that you mentioned. There's more freedom when you can disconnect the trailer and go, and then use the trailer as your base camp.

We tow our trailer with a Honda Ridgeline. If you're not familiar it's a Honda Pilot body, with a truck bed. It can pull up to 5,000lbs. Our trailer weighs 3,500 I think. No issues pulling at all, even up the passes. The thing we like about the Ridgeline is that it has all the comfort of a Honda pilot, super smooth ride even pulling, large comfortable cab for those long trips, and then the storage of both the truck bed, and also the trunk underneath for groceries or extra camping supplies etc.

We bought a trailer after years of tent camping because we moved to the Rocky Mountains where there are grizzle bears and there is no way I'm going outside to use the potty outside with grizzlies about. So hardsided trailer with a bathroom was a must. I didn't like the wet bath, so we got the seperate bath/toilet. No regrets.

We bought new. I was looking for a used trailer but the small ones are hard to find where we live. Everyone wants a giant one, we wanted a small one, so to get what we wanted we bought new.

I don't know that I'd think of it as an investment, I mean you're going to lose money buying it, even used. You'll never get back what you paid for it. However the memories our family has made in our trailer are priceless. The places we've seen all over the country, breathtaking views, wild animals galore, so much more, it's just worth it. We make it a priority though. Every summer we plan multiple smaller trips, like weekend getaways, and then one bigger trip that's a longer drive and a longer stay. Last year we went to the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. The year before we did Bryce Canyon and Grand Staircase Escalate National Monument. We also Mount Rushmore, Badlands N.P. and The Devil's Tower. We've gone on so many places that we wouldn't have gone to if we did not have our trailer. If you buy it, use it as much as you can
Thank you so much! We are thinking along the same lines... Useful to have the feedback on wet bath. Will look at Honda Ridgeline as well... Thanks again!

Old 06-26-2020, 01:09 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you! Very good information. Appreciate the pointer on the tires. I had included Basecamp X in my list as it claims some off-road capability. Looks like your geography is similar to ours... Beautiful pictures!

Looking at the website for Rockwood... We are thinking of a hard body trailer partly as we are afraid of wild animals (mean bears). With our plans including WY, MT, AL and Canadian rockies, we would sleep better in bear country with hard body camper...
The geography shown in the photos was UT (SLC = Salt Lake City I presume?)

The ledges was outside of Moab, known as Top of the World (overlook of professor valley off hwy 128), the second photos were taken in the west desert area, west of Delta UT.

I used to live in Moab; now Idaho.

As for bears; I commonly camp in Shoshone NF areas (Wyoming), noted to have the highest concentration of Grizzly bears in the lower 48, and I have met up with them a few times. But never worried about them entering my camper. To be honest, a decent size bear (black or brown) could go right into a hard sided trailer almost as easy as a tent trailer. I know a guy who put his hand through a hard sided trailer once.

Just make sure when in bear areas, put the food somewhere else, or make sure the trailer next to your smells like bacon.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Thank you, f5fstop! Indeed - these looked like Utah / neighboring state pictures! On bears and hard-sided trailers, I am going to disregard what you said (though you are probably right). It’d destroy one important selling point for the idea!

We too have seen grizzlies, even had one close to our campground in Denali. It wasn’t a very comfortable night in the tent half a mile away.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:41 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Yesterday I did 500 miles of towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and flatbed trailer. Once underway everything went off without a hitch. Yes, it is a bad, bad, pun. I concluded I’d rather toe with a pickup or a full framed SUV. Less rattling transferring into the passenger compartment and feels more stable to me. That’s my preference.

When I see Airstream I see lots of money tied up in a travel trailer. They are beautiful campers and are a good investment. I don’t think I’d want to take them down a trail.

I’d go lightweight with fiberglass sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing