Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 10:23 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times

Advertisements

In 2014, I bought a 2 month old used 16’ Airstream Bambi while I was sitting out a non compete between jobs. I proceeded to go on the road for a month with my young family. We had a blast covering 3,000 miles and 8 national parks. I had planned to sell it right after the trip, but fell in love with the thing and ended up adding solar and turning it into the family adventure trailer. We used it quite a bit up until last summer. The kids have gotten bigger, and life has gotten busier.

We did a final hurrah to Yellowstone this summer before putting it on the market. I could not believe the response! We had 7 calls in the first 24 hours.

Purchased in 2014 for $35K. Added 200 watts of solar and an extra marine battery. Sold in 2020 for $31K.

I sure miss that trailer already, but the family who bought it will enjoy the heck out of it I’m sure.

I think I’ll wait two years and buy something slightly used off of one of the many people jumping in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 05:07 AM

290 posts, read 250,410 times
I remember high-end Tiffins going for over half a mil used. Now most of the brand new coaches can be bought for under 400K.

Note: Just idly looking out of curiosity. No way I could afford one of those.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:24 AM

1,131 posts, read 387,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
In 2014, I bought a 2 month old used 16’ Airstream Bambi while I was sitting out a non compete between jobs. I proceeded to go on the road for a month with my young family. We had a blast covering 3,000 miles and 8 national parks. I had planned to sell it right after the trip, but fell in love with the thing and ended up adding solar and turning it into the family adventure trailer. We used it quite a bit up until last summer. The kids have gotten bigger, and life has gotten busier.

We did a final hurrah to Yellowstone this summer before putting it on the market. I could not believe the response! We had 7 calls in the first 24 hours.

Purchased in 2014 for $35K. Added 200 watts of solar and an extra marine battery. Sold in 2020 for $31K.

I sure miss that trailer already, but the family who bought it will enjoy the heck out of it I’m sure.

I think I’ll wait two years and buy something slightly used off of one of the many people jumping in the summer.
I have a fiberglass 17 ft Casita and had been looking for a 19" AS but can't get myself to pay that much. Then also, I find that I camp in areas w/ bad weather (Hail) and could imagine the damage that can be done from hail on an AS. But they look solid and as you say, hold their value. Casitas do to. There are very few brands that I'd buy in the typical trailers other than Casita, AS - maybe an Oliver or Escape. Typical brands of trailers are boring, imo, leak, aren't durable, have other issues and don't necessarily hold their value.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-E6xgHvgdc

Old 07-19-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
I have a fiberglass 17 ft Casita and had been looking for a 19" AS but can't get myself to pay that much. Then also, I find that I camp in areas w/ bad weather (Hail) and could imagine the damage that can be done from hail on an AS. But they look solid and as you say, hold their value. Casitas do to. There are very few brands that I'd buy in the typical trailers other than Casita, AS - maybe an Oliver or Escape. Typical brands of trailers are boring, imo, leak, aren't durable, have other issues and don't necessarily hold their value.
We live in hail central. Definitely have some hail dings, but nothing terrible after 6 years. I always like the Casitas. That Oliver looks cool.
My goal is to get into a 4WD Sprinter van with a lift. We never go to campgrounds and access a lot of forest service roads in Colorado/Wyoming/Utah.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-19-2020 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 06:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,978 times
The camper market has gone insane because of the wuhan virus, you cant even find a small used cargo trailer to convert, within a few hour of popping up on craigslist they are sold for almost new prices.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The camper market has gone insane because of the wuhan virus, you cant even find a small used cargo trailer to convert, within a few hour of popping up on craigslist they are sold for almost new prices.
Mod cut.

To your point though, I am a buyer in two years when all these people who bought their first camper this summer decide it’s more effort than they thought it would be.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-19-2020 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Off-topic political commentary.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Here in Tucson I ride my bicycle occasionally past a house where a guy restores classic aluminum travel trailers. He usually has two or three parked in the front yard (no HOA obviously!!) Presently he's got an Argosy and two Silver Streaks. The Argosy looks like an Airstream clone, but the Silver Streak looks like they took a WW2 era aircraft and turned it into a travel trailer - they are engineering works of art. The founder of Silver Streak had an aircraft engineering background, so that explains the look.

https://tincantourists.com/wiki/silver-streak/

No telling what price these might fetch right now, but I would bet they sell fast when fully restored. The aluminum trailers survive well in the southwestern US because the sun does not bake and melt the exterior like most of the current mass market RVs.

I like those compact fiberglass trailers like Oliver, Escape, Casita. They would likely do fine here if you could store them under a covered parking place when not in use. One time I stopped at the Casita factory in TX about an hour or so south of Dallas and saw all the models that they make.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
[Snip.]

To your point though, I am a buyer in two years when all these people who bought their first camper this summer decide it’s more effort than they thought it would be.
Good idea - I've been thinking of selling my 2011 Casita and getting something else, maybe even smaller like an A-frame (A-liner). I stay at a lot of military campgrounds around the country and they all have very clean bathrooms, so I may give up that (bathroom) and go smaller, lighter.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-19-2020 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Here in Tucson I ride my bicycle occasionally past a house where a guy restores classic aluminum travel trailers. He usually has two or three parked in the front yard (no HOA obviously!!) Presently he's got an Argosy and two Silver Streaks. The Argosy looks like an Airstream clone, but the Silver Streak looks like they took a WW2 era aircraft and turned it into a travel trailer - they are engineering works of art. The founder of Silver Streak had an aircraft engineering background, so that explains the look.

https://tincantourists.com/wiki/silver-streak/

No telling what price these might fetch right now, but I would bet they sell fast when fully restored. The aluminum trailers survive well in the southwestern US because the sun does not bake and melt the exterior like most of the current mass market RVs.

I like those compact fiberglass trailers like Oliver, Escape, Casita. They would likely do fine here if you could store them under a covered parking place when not in use. One time I stopped at the Casita factory in TX about an hour or so south of Dallas and saw all the models that they make.
I have seen a few of those Silver Streaks. They are gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing